TripAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people - I have never worked with a nicer, smarter bunch of people. People care about each other, we have a laugh and we work hard. It's a great working environment.

Management that actually care - we have a London leadership team made up of the most senior people in the office and they really care about employee happiness. I also feel really supported by the management of my team.

I am proud of what I do - at TripAdvisor you are encouraged to take ownership of what you work on and it's a pretty flat structure across the business, which I enjoy.

There are great perks to working here - healthcare, dental, £850 towards fitness, free lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays, fun office events, thoughtful little gifts, rooftop terrace.

I work as part of a global team and I really feel like that. Although we work across the world, we have fortnightly meetings, help each other out and check in regularly.

Cons

The career progression could be clearer, but management is aware of this and are working on better growth plans, I also don't think this is an issue specific to this company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing :)

"Needs a complete overhaul"

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- People are lovely

- London office is in a great location

- It’s nice to work for a company which everyone knows and likes

Cons

- A real lack of ideas and innovation: the company hasn’t moved with the times and shows no sign of doing so

- Takes a long time to get anything done as management will not make decisions for fear of upsetting those higher up

- Extremely US-centric. London feels like an after thought rather than an integral part of the business. There’s an unspoken rule that to get anywhere in the company you need to move to HQ.

Advice to Management

Shake things up, starting with the very top. Get people in who can bring new ideas and a fresh outlook. Admit your mistakes so you can take the company forward. Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results is the very definition of madness.

"always getting better"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Best company i ever worked for. People genuinely care.

Cons

Not for the dispassionate, if you want it easy, this is not the company for you

TripAdvisor Response

10 Dec 2017 – TripAdvisor

Thanks so much for your review and we appreciate you highlighting our passionate team. We couldn’t agree more that it’s our people that make TripAdvisor a wonderful place to work. Thanks for your... More

"Moral is at an all time low"

Pros

Free stuff to sugar coat the office. Central location of the London office only. Nice people to work with. Roof terrace

Cons

Like the subject header says moral is at the lowest it has ever been. The HQ don’t seem to care what happens in other offices, many of the people that tried to improve moral have left and been replaced by puppets for the HQ. Things have not been working out well for TripAdvisor, online booking has flumped and the management refuse to accept this. There is no communication form the management even though one of the “values” is believing in transparency. The values are simply white wash and no one, especially the management live by them. Just not a great place to be generally.

Advice to Management

Falling on deaf ears.

"Worrying times"

Pros

Nice office with a roof terrace in a great central location. Free food - snacks, drinks, fruit, coffee, lunch on Tuesdays/Thursdays and Friday booze.
    Healthcare and dental plans are very comprehensive, and flexible hours/working from home is allowed. You also get an annual gym/fitness allowance and personal travel budget which is very generous.

Cons

Once you get past the shiny benefits there’s very little substance underneath - the phrase “fur coat and no knickers” springs to mind.
    Everybody seems bored, disengaged, demotivated. The office is half empty since people have left and not been replaced. Projects are started and then abandoned further down the line when the strategy from higher up the management chain changes suddenly. They recently introduced company values - one of which is “we believe in transparency” - however a whole department made redundant with no internal announcement is anything but transparent - the rest of the company heard about it through Chinese Whispers. Also - “Speed wins” - what a farce! When every new hire or promotion decision has to pass the CEO’s desk for approval, it takes ages to get anywhere - and if you actually do manage to get promoted you can consider yourself extremely lucky.

Advice to Management

Stop treating staff like children and be honest with them. Let people other than Steve K make some decisions.

"Depends on what you are looking for out of job"

Former Employee - Senior Planner in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Planner in London, England

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people
    - Social events and office banter
    - Flexible work environment (for working parents, work from home across teams)
    - Great work life balance

Cons

- Instant book is NOT working for TA. This means the business is not growing and cannot afford to invest in other areas of the business. Unlikely Instant book will ever perform (people book on Trivago, Booking.com and others).
    - Management team in US seems uninterested in pivoting. Office in Boston is stale/uninspired. Most just there for their 9-5 and many in the company a long time. Lack of fresh ideas in a business park outside of Boston.
    - Zero room for career progressions (company not growing). Assume role you start is role you will end with.
    - Stocks price stagnant over 5+ years - so don't consider them a bonus.
    - Morale is low. Most there for the pros listed above, not to drive and progress. Overall an uninspired place past its sell-by date.

Advice to Management

- TA has 400+ unique users - so good target for acquisition. Do soon and shake up the management team. Right now TA is just a legacy platform and appears to be going the way of AOL and Blockbuster. You need fresh execs to drive and inspire the next generation of TA.
    - Have focus. Consumers are confused about what TA now is. You were a hotel reviews site, but are losing bookings to competitors. Perhaps too late to recover.

"Double standard company"

Former Employee - Media Planner in London, England
    Former Employee - Media Planner in London, England

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the display CPM team as a media planner and the pros were :
    - fun and international team
    - fairly good training program
    - at first, you learn a lot
    - great location and offices in London
    - good benefits

Cons

I worked in the display CPM team as a media planner and the cons were :
    - there are some clear double stadard in terms of treatment in the team depending on your position (i.e : sales rep get away with anything, while media planner and ad ops do the majority of the work)
    - very poor work/life balance if in planning or ad ops team (you will stay and work late everyday while sales people are at the pub)
    - salaries below market
    - no company shares
    - poor or no career prospects
    - very poor ethics/ moral values, especially in the leadership team
    - in the sales team, really low turnover, very "cliquey" group of people enjoying their priviledge status

9. "great company"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

`supportive, great benefits, great family feel

Cons

`not globally aware, silo nature

Advice to Management

`be more globally aware

"Decent company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary and travel benefits. Nice office and location and nice people on the whole. Some promotion and bonus opportunities

Cons

Not many engineers in London, so somewhat left out of the loop. US managers can impose US work ethic (don't take those holidays), and not appreciate your work.

TripAdvisor Response

11 Jul 2017

Thanks for your review and I appreciate your positive remarks about your coworkers and our London office. As is true with any global company, having offices around the world presents unique... More

"Bad managers makes good employees leave"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oxford, England

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefit package was great.

Cons

Lack of communication and trust in general, we never know what was the objective or what to do because they change the rules all the time. Also, at least in the Oxford office, the election of the Team Leaders and Managers was very poor, with people with no formation or experience in the field, people that made their decisions based on sympathy and not professionally. For two years my Team Lead was bullied me and when I informed HR they decided to do nothing, because they just don't care.