Tripadvisor Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Sep 30, 2020

Found 71 of over 1,040 reviews

3.8
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 107 reviews)

• "Great Benefits, Nice working environment(in 72 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Constant Change in upper management(in 26 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

great company

Jul 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

`supportive, great benefits, great family feel

Cons

`not globally aware, silo nature

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great work balance, but lack of direction

Jul 31, 2020 - Account Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere. Excellent pay. Supportive leadership. Great benefits. Freedom to work in different ways

Cons

Total lack of direction. Lack of new ideas

Tripadvisor Response

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are excited to hear that you enjoyed our employee benefits as well as had support from management and leadership teams. Our goal is to create an environment where everyone feels welcome to share their opinions, challenged by their work and empowered to own their projects.

3. What people are saying about Tripadvisor

Join the conversation on

Consulting

2m

works at

EY

I’m a rising Senior at EY (2 years of experience) looking to move into product management but I don’t seem to get any interest from recruiters because of my consulting experience (mostly credit modeling development and validation in risk management space). Can someone please give some tips ? I’d like to move into product management at a tech company that offers a highly consumer focused product (eg. TripAdvisor, Opentable etc.)

16 Comments

Join the conversation on
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Company values have changed

Jun 26, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tripadvisor used to be a big family of skilled, respected and respectful people. It was a friendly and enjoyable environment with some great benefits. Then, things have changed.

Cons

In 2019, new top-level leaders arrived in the US who soon started restructuring globally some teams without having a clear understanding of how the business worked. Additionally, they brought their own people and some of their own values. These top leaders lack empathy and they have an arrogant and self-righteous approach which is cleverly hidden by their good verbal communication skill. They caused a lot of frustration as they implemented several changes which made processes slower and less effective. They definitely built many walls and not enough bridges by creating a toxic environment. They lack experience and, over the months, to hide their own mistakes, they tried to reverse the bad strategy by changing the processes again. Micromanagement is their rule. They filled teams with several unnecessary positions while others were overloaded. Nepotism is widespread and it is not difficult to understand the logic behind some career advancements. They say they believe in transparency but better not to share your opinion if you don't want to be in trouble. And they also used Covid-19 as an excuse to 'clear' the teams they previously created by removing some of the most experienced and highly paid staff. I will always have fond memories of what Tripadvisor used to be, and it is deeply sad to watch how the company has changed. I have always believed Steve Kaufer to be a great CEO and I simply do not understand why he is letting all this to happen.

19 people found this review helpful

Tripadvisor Response

Thank you for your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we appreciate employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. We are pleased to hear that that you appreciated the great benefits that the company provides and that you enjoyed working within our diverse and inclusive culture with talented and inspirational people. However it is unfortunate that you felt that our new US leaders have not been empathetic or listened to experienced employees when implementing change in our company. The company holds itself to a high standard in regards to ethics and work practices, and we are very open to the ideas and improvements suggestions of all our employees. Any concerns that are flagged to management and/or HR are looked into thoroughly, as fairness and transparency are very important to all of us. All of our leaders, including Steve, are doing their best to remain as transparent as possible as this remains one of our core values.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Dec 21, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of opportunities if you work hard and can stand out from the crowd - Great benefits - Fun work culture and spirit

Cons

- Limited travel opportunity (despite being a travel focussed company) and moving between offices unless you're in Tech - Salaries fluctuate immensely and don't always seem fair (internal promotion vs external hires) - Difficult to move within departments unless you have extensive experience in the field

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Finance Analyst

Mar 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Multicultural environment and great benefits package

Cons

Difficulties to develop your professional career

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great fast-paced company to work for

Jun 10, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall TripAdvisor is a great company to work for with hard-working, dedicated and smart employees, who embrace the "speed wins" philosophy to get the job done. It also has a welcoming atmosphere, great benefits and state of the art offices w/fantastic facilities. Although the company has grown drastically over the past years, there is still an emphasis on community and team building w/regular social events during and after work hours.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but it may not be for everyone given the fast-paced nature.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Overall good company, great benefits

Jun 28, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

great benefits, including well-being allowance (money refunded for gym memberships and any other activities promoting health and wellness). subsidised cafeteria, free snack vending machines and other dental and medical benefits.

Cons

no space for career progression

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Nice company but could be better

May 18, 2016 - Sales Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits Good training and development plans Approachable managers Friendly environment (depending on the team!!) Nice office (location, snacks available, cool design)

Cons

Workload Salary (not in proportion to position covered) Highly competitive (not always in a healthy way) Extremely difficult to move internally to a new position

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Employee

Good place to work but not careers opportunities!

Nov 12, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great benefits, good commission plan, incentive

Cons

no careers development, low basic salary

3 people found this review helpful
    11. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good for your CV

Oct 23, 2015 - Sales Exexutive in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits. Free vending machines. Not to bad basic salary. Multi- cultural environment.

Cons

When I joined Tripadvisor it was a great place to work. Since 2015 everything changed. The prices for the Business Listing rocketed sky-high. So called ROI selling was introduced, which is great but nobody knew if the numbers provided were real. And in many cases it was proven not to be the fact. Besides that paying up to € 36,000 to get your contact details listed is in itself a complete laugh. If the sales team dared to question this it was waved away by higher management. Nothing was wrong with the product offering, it was the sales team which wasn't good enough. Just before Christmas Steve Kaufer personally came down to Oxford ( because another senior manager was sacked) and said, during my next visit 50% of all of you will be gone " and have a nice Christmas". Due to this change Top performers starting to drop down ( and not reaching 80% of your target in 3 months means OUT). People felt demotivated, didn't reach their targets and therefore were left with little bonuses and started to leave. Including managers. The staff turnover is ridiculous. 65% of the Sales Executives left in just a couple of months. From most of team leaders you don't have to expect any help. The just sit theire and are watching, You Tube and Facebook. With Tripadvisor moving to Instant Booking probably the whole office is gone within 1 Year anyhow. To end positive; to have the name Tripadvisor in your CV gives you a great start for the future.

16 people found this review helpful