Tripadvisor Employee Reviews about "speed wins"

Updated Jul 8, 2021

Found 39 of over 1,164 reviews

3.8
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "The free lunch is better than most restaurants(in 108 reviews)

• "Great benefits and work life balance(in 81 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Speed wins" mantra, would've preferred more travel coverage or allowance(in 39 reviews)

• "Constant Change in upper management(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

57 Comments

Tech

204.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Tripadvisor~15276
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "speed wins"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0

Hopefully, Product actually do Product now

Jul 8, 2021 - Product Manager in Oxford, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Some really smart people to work with, and learn from.

Cons

Product craft was severely lacking, with three things sticking out for me. - The "speed wins" mantra meant that velocity and volume of output was the main criteria of success, which created a bias towards optimisations, and hampered innovation or transformative growth. - The experimentation culture was a double edged sword - it yielded some great wins, but with no real structure around setting hypotheses, it was very much the 'throw spaghetti at a wall, and see what sticks.' This meant that even when a variant won, nobody could confidently say *why* it had won. - Very little speaking to end users. A lot of the use cases and customer pain points were compiled in meetings made up of identikit 30-something white, uni graduates, who were in no way representative of the user base, Also, the then-President (or whatever his title was....the boss, anyway) of vacation rentals had a very condescending and bullying style. The Tuesday afternoon meetings would invariably end with someone being grilled, while everyone else had their head down, exchanging furtive, sympathetic glances. No issue with me or others being called out for mistakes or subpar work, but there are ways it can be done that are constructive, and respectful.

4 people found this review helpful

Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate former employees providing constructive feedback. We are pleased to hear that you found your colleagues smart and fun to work with. We are proud of our diverse and collaborative culture with talented and inspirational people. However, we are disappointed to hear that you did not always find being part of the Product team a rewarding and engaging place to work. We are always looking at ways to continually improve in the spirit of our core value “never stop learning” so we appreciate you taking the time to provide back feedback on how we can do so with reference to our Product team’s ways of working. Our leaders are custodians of our values and strive to create and sustain an environment of trust, mutual respect and empowerment in their teams. We are sorry to hear that you do not feel that a leader was able to live our values. Please feel free to reach out confidentially to HR to discuss any concerns. Again thank you for your feedback which helps us on our journey to be a great place to work for everyone!

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A one way Trip into the abyss

Apr 13, 2019 - Inside Sales in Oxford, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits: fruits+snacks, dental care, health insurance (Bupa) Decent wage

Cons

Where to start? I have been working here for many years. Witnessed so many different changes in management. But the values of the company don't change. To them, you are just a number. A lemon to squeeze until there is nothing left and all your enthusiasm and passion is gone together with your ambitions. They say speed wins and then take years to release a new product. Their price strategy is another joke, and clients are noticing it so they know they can renew their subscription at a much lower price just by canceling and then waiting a few months. They are very good at copying their competitors but useless at innovating. Here you don't think, you say yes and become a part of the flock, after a while, you don't even think anymore as they don't like people who come up with different ideas. This is inside sales for you at TripAdvisor. In Oxford, our office is about to close because they are about to move the main office to Dublin. It has been made clear to us in more than one way to look for a new job. But nothing is official, everything is always behind closed doors. We live in fear, when are they going to close the office? Some people have mortgages to pay, kids, etc ... but who cares? Morale is at the lowest. We feel betrayed. We lost trust. Another value of this company is transparency which has become our joke. But really it is deeply sad. Tripadvisor is playing with people lives. They support charities to look good on paper but don't treat their own employees with the respect and honesty they deserve.

26 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Current Employee

Worrying times

Nov 27, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office with a roof terrace in a great central location. Free food - snacks, drinks, fruit, coffee, lunch on Tuesdays/Thursdays and Friday booze. Healthcare and dental plans are very comprehensive, and flexible hours/working from home is allowed. You also get an annual gym/fitness allowance and personal travel budget which is very generous.

Cons

Once you get past the shiny benefits there’s very little substance underneath - the phrase “fur coat and no knickers” springs to mind. Everybody seems bored, disengaged, demotivated. The office is half empty since people have left and not been replaced. Projects are started and then abandoned further down the line when the strategy from higher up the management chain changes suddenly. They recently introduced company values - one of which is “we believe in transparency” - however a whole department made redundant with no internal announcement is anything but transparent - the rest of the company heard about it through Chinese Whispers. Also - “Speed wins” - what a farce! When every new hire or promotion decision has to pass the CEO’s desk for approval, it takes ages to get anywhere - and if you actually do manage to get promoted you can consider yourself extremely lucky.

16 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A Short Term Company

Apr 29, 2016 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work for the tripadvisor brand under the tripadvisor umbrella... Company moves quickly to changes, whether operational or big projects. (Speed Wins). The business pushes staff to measure results - quantitatively. and qualitatively, on a regular basis which creates goals and projects to strive towards. Low level of politics due to a staff shortage. Regular company meetings with senior leaders Q&A. Free fruit, cereal, snacks, beers and wine in the London office. The company is looking to re-build their HR / culture and values through a new leader so things may improve for the better. A recognized global brand in travel.

Cons

Speed Wins: the term is used loosely by the CEO (Steve) as an attempt for staff to push to get things done really quickly but not perfectly. - This is really being lost in translation with management ; managers can push their delegates to get things done, be it the weekend or late nights; some managers have no concept of personal time and push to get things done in a speed wins manner at ridiculous times of the day (after hours) against conflicting priorities and against a lack of bandwidth. - Some large restructures are being put in place without scoping out many answers , which is leaving many people in 'limbo' creating uncertainty - Some managers want things done perfectly in a speed wins environment - I have a feeling that "speed wins" could be a strong cause of staff turnover within the business affecting some teams more than others - you can prioritize the speed wins projects but if every large project every day is at a speed wins level, you'll probably burn out - Speed wins created a humiliating and bad TV instant book campaign wasting millions Leadership - feels like many of the junior staff working at trip do not have any sense of leadership or entrepreneurial skills (this could be a recruitment trait which could be associated to hires not challenging leadership (?). - Many senior staff are afraid of Steve K and his mannerism. He doesn't sound approachable or friendly. Resources - Feels like there is real shortage of people resources at the tripadvisor (Sales / Product) brand disproportionately to the wider org or compared to the Viator brand. Compared to other places I've worked, the culture and pace seems too overwhelming and I really don't foresee this as a long-term opportunity.

10 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations about what’s working well here, and what we need to improve. I would be happy to chat in person about this as well. Let me try to explain my thinking on several of the points you raise. "Speed Wins": Speed wins is an important cultural aspect to this company. It means that we value going fast, testing and improving, and using data to inform our decision making. Speed wins is an important part of who we are, how we’ve been successful and grown, and how we run the company. We don’t want to slow down decisions or innovation as we grow bigger—a characteristic of many large organizations, and one we work hard to avoid. Speed wins does NOT mean we ignore what users want in the name of 'going fast', or that we ask our people to work unreasonably at breakneck speed, or any of the myriad of ways that phrase can be misused or misunderstood. I subscribe to the 'done is better than perfect' mantra, which means that our managers should not insist on perfection when it’s more important that speed wins. I understand that, and my management team understands that, and speed wins is a topic we discuss often. However, it seems that your experience has shown some of the ways where speed wins can be misinterpreted or misused. Better communication of speed wins is even more important at 3000 people than 30 people. Culture: Culture is important, and this is one of my most important challenges as we grow... how to instill/maintain a sense of 'what does the traveler want', and 'how can we always press ourselves to deliver what they want, faster, more efficiently, with high quality.' We are working every day to develop a common understanding of what this looks like in practice, so we can nurture it at all phases of employment, starting with our hiring process. As you mentioned, we are actively working on the culture question at the organizational level, making sure that we have clear, well-understood values and supporting professional development opportunities. As you also noted, we have a new Chief People Officer on board who is as passionate about these topics as I am, and who is helping me to drive many of these efforts. My style: Well, it always stings to read comments like the ones you posted, and I can assure you it’s not my intent to scare people. I care deeply about the people in the company, and how we run as an organization, and I try to be as approachable as I can be…but I also have strong points of view as to how we should develop product, the user experience, etc. so I may not always agree with the views of the senior staff. I truly believe that open, thoughtful debate and leads us to the best outcomes as an organization. Regardless, if people think I am not approachable, then I need to do better in that area. Finally, I am a believer that the best companies are the ones that move fast and are the quickest to adapt. While our business is very healthy, we continue to 'reinvent ourselves' each year to be better for our travelers, better for our clients, and better for our employees. Steve

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Working more than 2 years at the sales division at the Oxford branch office and ..

Jan 16, 2015 - Telesales Executive in Oxford, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits to bring you in You can find excellent people who eventually will leave this company.

Cons

Poor coordination on the information disclosed from the marketing dpt to clients and sales dpt.. Speed wins culture can have impact connotations such as the White Star Line,and the Titanic ..the fast you go eventually you will hit the iceberg so guess your conclusion. The company can promise you a good level of income which in reality is not easy to achieve due poor management procedures or inexperience team leaders. There isn't a clear best practice as there is too much favoritism among some 'friends' within the sales team division from which it creates a level of unfairness. From the sales perspective the customer support efforts are not fast enough neither brings satisfaction to the clients who in time will come back to you very disappointing as you can't go beyond. There is an existent disparity on the dynamics and pressure between the acquisition dpt and renovation team. Too much centralize decision from head office doesn't bring value to the UK office. No available opportunities to move between divisions and learn more from this company. and subsidiaries. At least for the Tele Sales division level this is not a job for some one who have very good sales experience as soon or later you will realise that the present product service needs more attention. Your values at some point can be compromised.

8 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0

Speed Wins...both good and bad

Jun 19, 2020 - Sales Trainer in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are the best that I've ever worked with. A great, empathetic, and intelligent group who all have a good idea of what they want to do.

Cons

Consistent alignment and breaking silos is what this company will need to succeed. The company tried to do too much without really perfecting anything...while the mantra is "speed wins", that often leads to some hastiness inhibiting the growth of products as well as individuals.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. It really is our employees that make Tripadvisor a great place to work, so hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues have supported and enriched their experience is always great news

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Speed doesn't always win

Jun 19, 2020 - Product Content Analyst in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong female mentorship & management throughout company, decent benefits

Cons

"Speed wins" mantra, would've preferred more travel coverage or allowance

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

8. 1.0

Good Place to Start your career

Jun 26, 2019 - BDR in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Decent benefits and health/dental Package *Good team mates *3 meals per week Working in this place it's like working in a startup company. There is some space for learning about the business and sales as it's a very aggressive sales environment.

Cons

*Decisions of the management/company do not make any sense. *Unnecessary huddles every morning to repeat exactly the same. *Poor business model / products. *Very old fashion mindset. *Do not care about employees opinion or even feedback. *Do not apply any of their values, not even speed wins as they do not apply on what it really matters, helping their clients or staff. *Lack of credibility on the management. *EXTREME MICRO MANAGEMENT. *Zero Flexibility.

9 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Operations Coordinator

Thank you for the feedback, both the positive and areas you feel we need to work on. There are some points in here that should be highlighted given that they detail very well our team, culture, and mind-set. I agree with your assessments with regards to our great team members’ start-up mentality, and aggressive sales environment. We work to hire the best sales people possible, and this is encapsulated by people who are determined, smart, open to constructive feedback, and ready to hustle. We are also a company that has to quickly adapt to the changing market place, and adaptation to change is a key quality we look for in our sales team. We are also unafraid to make a mistake, as long as the decision was made with data and we are quick to correct the mistake when it happens. We fully encourage all employees within TripAdvisor to take on this same bold mind-set. In regard to the huddles being repetitive, this is good feedback and something I will reinforce with my management team. However we do feel that morning huddles are a critical part to starting the day by getting people ready to sell, and ensuring critical information is delivered. I hope that you shared this feedback with your manager when you were a part of the team as our management team would always be open to such feedback. We are Better Together is one of our core values, and this includes communicating appropriately throughout the organization. I am surprised by the term Micro management, as this means different things to different people. It is important that we help each and every person achieve their target – if the sales people don’t succeed, then neither does the business. Micro management is sometimes confused with the push managers give to help each sales person exceed their goal. We empower all of our team members to take the lead, use their best judgement, and own the outcomes. This is best shown through our core value of Act Like an Owner. If there is more that you would like to share, please feel free to reach out. I am always keen on learning how we can improve. I wish you success in your future endeavors.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Indeed, “speed wins” as the motto says

Nov 15, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great office manager who cares about employee well being in a non work related aspects to ensure that everyone in the office is well bonded. Nice to receive different types of healthy snacks each day of the week. Colleagues are generally a group of kind travel loving people. Insurance coverage is too good to be true that it can not be compared to any company.

Cons

Unsure if the ‘manager’ is an actual job or just a job title on the email salutation... lack of product knowledge and support from hierarchy is the most heartbreaking thing one could encounter at work. I mean benefits are great, but in the end of the day we wake up in the morning to commit to our work in hopes that what we do make a difference to someone out there. You could see favoritism and covering of one another across the department and many intelligent talents had no choice but to leave as anyone who’s tried to voice out for change were shut down each time. Not a healthy organization... if your ‘in’ that’s great, but if your not... then all the best to you. No career development, no genuine appreciation, communication are not transparent from top down. Their policies and guidelines simply does not care about the owners and members. It’s just so sad to see that they’ve closed ears to new suggestions. The website bugs will take FOREVER to fix as well. If they don’t change, I’m not sure if they could keep up with this growing online industry. One of the company motto “speed wins” truly describes it all. Just do it fast and do it more, no one cares about the quality (but of course they say they do).

12 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

One of the worst companies in terms of management.

Mar 21, 2018 - Sales Manager in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Well stocked pantry, free food, drinks and snacks. Health insurance coverage is very good. Colleagues are very friendly.

Cons

The problem lies with management - from senior leadership to regional directors. There is no vision and most often they are still trapped in their "start up and almighty bubble". A lot of customers are already writing the company off. Very biased HR and no due process given to employees - they just side with management. Sometimes salary delay. No firm decision making and "speed wins" means they can change decisions in a matter of hours. Limited career. If you are not ambitious you can stay here.

21 people found this review helpful

TripAdvisor

Thank you for the review although this is a difficult feedback to read. This is not the type of experience that we want anyone on our team to have. You have expressed several important concerns and I believe a more in-depth conversation would be beneficial. I encourage you to connect with your HR Business partner or me directly for a deeper discussion. As a company founded on the principal of transparency, we work hard to ensure that our vision, strategy and processes are shared with all levels of the organization. Our quarterly all hands meetings and monthly sync ups both provide a lot of valuable information about these topics. You have made a great suggestion on having 360 degree feedback. We agree that this type of feedback is critically important and had added it to our performance review process last year. I encourage you to connect with your HRBP or manager if you have not yet gone through our performance review cycle. Thank you for your feedback again, and I welcome a time for further discussion. Cindy Tan, VP Display Ad Sales

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39 Reviews