Tripadvisor Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Aug 15, 2020

Found 26 of over 1,075 reviews

3.8
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 107 reviews)

• "Great Benefits, Nice working environment(in 72 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Constant Change in upper management(in 26 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Tripadvisor

Join the conversation on

Consulting

4m

works at

EY

I’m a rising Senior at EY (2 years of experience) looking to move into product management but I don’t seem to get any interest from recruiters because of my consulting experience (mostly credit modeling development and validation in risk management space). Can someone please give some tips ? I’d like to move into product management at a tech company that offers a highly consumer focused product (eg. TripAdvisor, Opentable etc.)

16 Comments

Tech

81.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Tripadvisor~15276
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not the company it use to be anymore

Jun 10, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beloved brand Looks good in your CV Good benefits

Cons

No career progression. Impossible to grow internally in your or different areas of the London office. Many teams are also shrinking due to years of poor company performance No transparency from upper management (even though they claim they are by holding many co. meetings and forming task force groups to tackle the obvious company issues). Poor management. Genuine leaders with good intentions get nowhere. You have to be a narcissistic game player to progress and be good at managing up not down Most of the best colleagues I worked with have already left HR is only visible for admin functions and to give promotions to themselves Company is too US centric and mostly playing catch up with its products. Lack of original ideas.

19 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Client Partner

Aug 15, 2020 - Sales in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance in the company.

Cons

Constant Change in upper management

Be the first to find this review helpful

Tripadvisor Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great People, bit disorganized upper management

May 18, 2020 - Software Engineer in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's my first job out of school. Some of the best engineering talent I have seen! gym, nice lunch

Cons

the upper management seems a bit disorganized and does not seem too passionate about technologies and the engineering side of things as an internet company.

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

It's 2020 And This Feels Like A Sinking Ship

Jan 30, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart engineers, challenging problems and great benefits.

Cons

Upper management is a disaster and has been for years. The company changes course every six months and every new idea is presented as THE IDEA that will fix everything, though often it's something only a few people at the top think is worth doing and everyone on the ground knows will fail. There are highs and lows but the company has been trending downward the last year or two. It's a shame because at its core TripAdvisor is a really great product and something that users love. Unfortunately the company has spent far more time and money on failed marketing campaigns and redesigns than it has in on improving its infrastructure in a way that actually benefits users.

13 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee

Dissapointed

Mar 21, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Phenomenal and supportive team mate Benefits Perks Office Location Medical and Insurance

Cons

upper management cannot be understood at all

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work... sort of

May 14, 2018 - Product Manager in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

First and foremost... the people are incredible. Smart, fun, fairly diverse, and generally great at what they do. It's fun to work for a company that has such a strong reputation, for a few reasons: (1) I don't have to explain what my employer does; (2) It's nice to get that "Oooh, you work for TripAdvisor! Cool!" response; and (3) Recruiters LOVE to poach from Trip, especially for engineers and product folks, so there's a near-constant stream of inbound interest if you're thinking about looking elsewhere. The HQ building is really excellent - a top perk, with the on-site gym and locker rooms, the cafeteria, the outdoor space, the desks. It's easy to forget you're at work. Benefits and perks are outstanding and include: excellent and cheap (or free) health plan plus dental and vision; 401K matching (up to 3% of your salary); free lunch with many diverse choices (salad, soup, sandwiches, pizza, multiple hot options, healthy choices, dessert, fruit, and more); unlimited snacks and drinks; the aforementioned gym; an annual personal travel reimbursement; significant charity donation matching; annual fitness benefit which can be spent on many things including sports leagues; and much more. Work-life balance is a priority (for most teams), meaning you can work 10am-7pm, 8am-4pm, or another set of hours if you choose, and can come and go as you please as long as your work is getting done. Best of all, you cannot help but learn a tremendous amount just by being part of such amazing teams.

Cons

I could have been at TripAdvisor a lot longer - I had no need to leave just to go elsewhere, but there were many factors that contributed to pushing me out the door. As a point of information, I left for a role at another company, so I do not feel like I was fleeing TripAdvisor - but I also don't feel like I was "retained" very well, either. More importantly, these criticisms come from a large number of conversations with current and former employees across the company - so while you should take them with some salt, also know they are not merely the ramlings of one person. My criticism falls into two major categories: Management and Consistency Management ----------------- There appears to be no focus on "people management" as a high-value skill set, particularly among those who have direct reports. In four years at the company, I had six managers - only one of whom seemed to focus in any way on helping his/her direct reports succeed in their careers. In fact, a number of these managers seemed far more incentivized NOT to promote their direct reports than to move them up the chain. In particular, most of the managers in the product management group appear less interested in managing people than in managing products. One possible reason for this lack of strong management is that individual contributors are promoted to positions in which they manage other people without any regard for whether they (a) want to or (b) should be. Not only does this make for a really poor work experience for their direct reports, it also diminishes the experience for the manager. Other than engineers, no functions have a career path beyond (senior) individual contributor that does not involve people management - so even those who are not inclined to accept those responsibilities have an incentive to take them on in order to move ahead. Because management are hired for technical competencies instead of a specific management skill set, there is a distinct lack of empathy - it simply doesn't seem to be promoted as a required trait or skill among those who are responsible for the careers of others. For example: on being told that my 4th quarter performance wasn't where it had been the rest of the year, I asked when my manager had noticed this change; he said "a few weeks into the quarter." I asked why he didn't bring it up (or even ask me if everything was alright), and instead waited until 2+ months later; his response was, "Oh yeah, I guess I could have done that." That's just one example, but it's fairly illustrative of the value (or lack thereof) placed on treating direct reports with compassion as fellow human beings. Consistency --------------- There doesn't seem to be any consistency between the company's stated "values" and management's actions. For example, "We're always learning" does not seem to be reflected in a desire to have managers learning how to be better at their jobs - apparently it's for the rank-and-file only. No matter how much upper management (particularly HR) want people to act according to the company's values, there must be incentives in place for each level to do so - otherwise the whole chain falls apart. Of course, this is not a surprise since middle management isn't chosen for their ability to lead but rather for their ability to perform as individual contributors. Having worked in multiple groups within the company, I would also point out inconsistent promotion schedules and criteria as another issue. In particular, a "Competencies Matrix" was released for product managers - and was subsequently used in different ways to avoid promotions. Even after a representative from HR stated outright in a group, "You do not have to be performing at the next level in all of these criteria in order to move up," at the next review my manager said, "I didn't hear that" - and nobody up the chain was willing to correct him. Although a company of this size is due to have reorganizations on a fairly regular basis, the two groups in which I have worked over my time at TripAdvisor were subject to no fewer than 6 in less than 4 years, ranging from a simple, "We're changing the reporting structure" to a full-on "We're being absorbed into a different group." This has a massive impact on employee morale and was very poorly managed and communicated, resulting in an even larger negative outcome. Due to these changes, I went from reporting to a Vice President to being three layers below the same position in the span of 16 months. Finally, in many cases pay is not commensurate with experience. Product Managers with 5-10 years of work experience are paid at or below market value, while members of the post-MBA product rotation program are paid 20-30% more from the start. Yes, we are attempting to compete for talent with other companies, but the toll that this revelation takes on the psyches of PMs who aren't in that program (particularly those who have MBAs) cannot be underestimated.

53 people found this review helpful

TripAdvisor

Thank you for the detailed review, and for taking the time to share your thoughts with me in person before your departure. I really appreciated the discussion and hearing your detailed feedback—thanks for finding the time to do that before you left. As you wrote in your comprehensive review, we do have a great team of super smart and diverse people here, a wonderful work environment, and industry-leading benefits. We also have a much-beloved and well known consumer brand that provides the opportunity for individuals and teams to work on solving interesting and challenging customer problems. I am glad to know you feel the same. There is lots to love about working here, as you know and as we discussed. And I also recognize that there are things we could do better. These include continuing to build out our leadership and management development capabilities, and ensuring that employees at every level have even more opportunity to continue to grow without leaving the company. You were candid when we met, particularly as it pertained to your individual situation and things we could have done better during your tenure. As you know, the team and I are working every day to make TripAdvisor a great place to work, and feedback like yours helps us know where to place more focus, and what is already working well. As you know from our conversation, although we could always do better as an organization, I think your blanket statement that people management is not a valued skill set here at TripAdvisor is an inaccurate characterization. Developing managers and leaders is a key areas of focus for us. This year alone, we’ve added a full suite of management training to our already robust learning and development program. We also added a 360 degree feedback process and tool to our performance reviews in 2017, and in the last year, instituted the “Quarterly Connect” process, to ensure that managers and employees have a thoughtful, structured format for ongoing performance and development conversations. While we plan to continue investing in the development of our leaders, and there continues to be work to do, we’re proud of the progress that we’ve already made in this area. I was very surprised to read that you don’t feel TripAdvisor creates incentives for our employees to act in accordance with the company’s values. We are very explicit about our values and what we expect of our employees in support of those values. As you know, and as we also discussed when we met the week you left, this past year we completely revamped our performance appraisal process to assess employees performance on both the “what” (technical capabilities and deliverables) and the “how” (demonstration of behaviors in alignment with values)—with separate ratings now given for each dimension, and merit-based compensation tied to these outcomes. We did this as we want to be clear that results aren’t expected at the expense of behaviors, and that both are of equal importance to support and reward as we grow individuals, leaders and our organization. Thank you again for taking the time to discuss your feedback. True to our transparency value, we continue to encourage all employees to share their feedback and suggestions with their managers, HR business partners, or in any of our open company discussions. We wish you the best of luck in your new opportunity. Beth Grous Chief People Officer

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Where is this going?

Jan 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good benefits (health and dental insurance, free food 3 times a week, snack and beverages in the office, fitness reimbursement) - Smart and fun people to work with - HR and Experience Manager made strong effort to organise social activities in the office and contributed to make the environment more friendly and pleasant

Cons

- No opportunities of career growth: the company has been talking about a career plan since months but so far no concrete success stories and no clear explanation on what you need to do to get promoted. - Zero chances of transfer within different location: you can get all the support from your local managers but upper management at the home office won't help you at all to make it happen. Don't even start the internal interview process, it's a waste of time. - No strategic long run planning: projects and products are launched to be shut down only after few months (e.g. sales of Instant Booking). - Turnover in Dublin office is very high: when the sales department opened in 2016, very smart people were hired but most of them have left already. And the saddest thing is that the company doesn't do anything to retain talented people. - Lack of transparency from the company, despite one of their main value is "We believe in transparency".

25 people found this review helpful

TripAdvisor

Thanks for providing your feedback. We take all employee feedback very seriously as it helps us improve the way we operate. We’re pleased to see that you enjoyed the benefits and culture at our Dublin office. Investing in our people remains one of our top priorities, as we believe our employees are truly our greatest strength as an organization. I’m uncertain of when you left TripAdvisor, but we recently welcomed a new leader to the Dublin team who is working on supporting and advancing our career development program there and across other TAMG locations. We encourage all employees to embrace our “Act like an Owner” core value and take ownership of their career growth and development. We provide many tools, resources and information to assist employees with effectively managing and growing their careers. We’re proud to have promoted and internally transferred many of our global employees over the past year, but admittedly, we need to do a better job of publicizing and communicating these exciting updates. Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you the best of luck in your new opportunity. - Sam Thompson, Regional Director of Inside Sales

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Culture, Limited Mobility

Dec 12, 2017 - Sales in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

free lunch, gym and travel stipends, great benefits and time off, paid healthcare, dogs in the offi,e free beer/wine/coffee, fantastic coworkers

Cons

lack of upward mobility, lack of transparency from upper management, launching ideas that are half baked in the great effort to push out results quickly

9 people found this review helpful

SVP, Global Sales

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. We appreciate you highlighting your fantastic coworkers and our wonderful benefits. Open and honest communication and transparency are core values of our business and we rely on several different mediums to ensure that employees are informed. I encourage you to attend our monthly sync up meetings and town hall discussions where we review business updates. We’re certainly always open to suggestions about how to better communicate with employees, so please feel free to connect with your manager, people operations business partner or me directly with any suggestions. Regarding mobility, we invest heavily in our learning and development programs and while we’ve made significant progress in these areas, we realize there is still work to do. We look forward to continuing our progress in 2018. Thanks again for your commitment to TripAdvisor and for your feedback. - Robin

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The land of the greats...

Jul 24, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay relatively well. Good perks.

Cons

Determined to destroy company culture with traditional ways of thinking. Archaic and waterfall. A software company stuck in 2000s. Leaders still championing past achievements. HIPPO mentality running rampant. Middle management similar to a wintery wonderland. Frozen to change but happy to get drunk on free booze. Incredibly complicated communication chains. Reactive not proactive, death knell to innovation. Upper management is a VIP club mentality. Untouchable and determined to sink with the ship.

18 people found this review helpful

TripAdvisor

We appreciate you leaving your feedback although we’re very surprised by this review. Over the past few years we have invested heavily in an Agile transformation which required large amounts of change within the business. We took this transformation seriously and realized that to do it properly we needed to invest in external Agile coaching. As well as coaching, we now also have full time agile experts working with our Scrum and Kanban teams. We do acknowledge that we are far from perfect in how we work; but we are committed to continuous improvement and have total buy in from all levels of management to do whatever it takes to deliver value to our customers faster. We pride ourselves on the quality of our teams and managers and do quarterly health checks to ensure all of our teams are happy. We recently used a third party company to survey our staff in Sydney and were very pleased to hear that our scores were some of the best that that company had ever seen. As your feedback is different from what we’ve heard from most employees, I would like the opportunity to sit down with you to talk through the issues you have raised. If you have some insights based on projects you have worked on then I would be very keen to hear about the issues in more detail and maybe we can work together to improve the way we deliver features to our end users. Thanks again for your feedback. -Ronan, Sr Director of Engineering

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Senior Software Engineer

Jun 20, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some people are really great to work with.

Cons

Upper management lives in ints own reality.

2 people found this review helpful

Tripadvisor Response

Thanks for your comments, although without further detail it’s difficult to address your specific concerns. We take employee feedback very seriously and offer many opportunities, such as monthly town halls and management sync ups, for employees to voice their suggestions and opinions to the leadership team. I want to hear your feedback and encourage you to connect with your HR business partner or me directly to chat further. - Nick Shanny, SVP Engineering and Operations

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews