Trumaker Employee Reviews about "outfitter"

Updated 27 Dec 2017

3.6
Trumaker Founder and CEO Mark Lovas (no image)
Mark Lovas
Pros
  • "flexible schedule, fun, great support systems in place(in 6 reviews)

• "Opportunity to make a lot of money, there is NO salary cap(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "This job is not for the faint of heart, and I didn't really understand that going into the Outfitter position(in 9 reviews)

• "The training is nonexistent there is no one to go to for help and even their senior leadership isn't able to answer questions and talks in circles(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "outfitter"

Return to all Reviews

"Trumaker is a TRUE Pyramid Scheme"

1.0

I worked at Trumaker full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. Read the offer letter very carefully. The base salary is low because they say that you'll get 100% commission but it's not true.

Cons

You'll be overworked & severely underpaid for 19.00/ hour you'll have a better chance working at Forever21 making more money for the amount of hours they beg of you. I worked from 8 AM to 9:30 PM! The company will schedule appointments for you on the weekends and holidays. In the first week they force you to harass your friends and family members to buy something! You will absolutely not make money at this job. If you've never had a sales job, it's important to understand that an entry level sales job starts at minimum 50K base, plus commissions and also bonuses monthly if not weekly. This company does not give you commissions at all. You have to sell the company 25K of clothing just to get an unfair bonus. If you've worked for the company 3-5 years ago you'll make more but even still they don't pay outfitters for their car, phone, mileage, networking events, overtime, etc. They'll encourage you to be very hands on with all your male clients which is pretty frightening. Every day your head will be on the chopping block. They threaten your job after only two weeks of working for them. Your sales manager will call you multiple times a day and force you to go through weekly meetings to let you know if you're "on termination or probation status." It's incredibly abusive & toxic. The sales cycle is insane. As an outfitter you are responsible for finding all your own leads by tapping into your personal network including your Dad, ex boyfriends, etc. Then after only 3 days of training you MUST sell that first week! You are asked to beg your new clients on the FIRST appointment for 10 new leads or contacts. This is what makes it a true pyramid scheme. It's the same model as Cutco-the knife company. The company has no clue how to qualify customers. They'll beg you to sell to poor, college kids and even your broke boyfriend. They abuse their clientele by over charging for the quality of their clothing & neglecting them after they ordered. After you sell the clothes the company asks you to personally steam & HAND deliver each article of clothing, EVEN if your customer lives 1-2 hours away. They won't reimburse you for gas or parking. The company will force you to work with uncomfortable men. There are absolutely no benefits either! They're excuse is that they're a startup BUT they'll force you to offer customers free shipping which comes straight out of your paycheck! It's a very manipulative company & it's frightening. You'll have to make up for all the other outfitters who either got fired or quit, which will leave you feeling so stressed and anxious. They just don't care about their employees.

January 15, 2018

Reading your review on working with our company - I have to start by apologizing for the experience you’ve had. It’s hard to imagine working anywhere, for any extent of time, while having such a horrible experience. You took the Outfitter job in good faith - that you’d succeed in the role. We work hard at improving our recruiting processes so that candidates can self-select in or out of the role based on whether they think they are the right fit. It's important to us that we select candidates who will enjoy and succeed at the role. We’re a young and growing business, we’re working hard to do our best to build a great company that does right by our customers and our employees. In particular, we’ve gone through a complete transition of the Outfitter role from one that is commission-only based, to one that is fully employed, with benefits, and yes performance based bonuses. I wanted to speak to your comment about a “pyramid scheme”. We offer a fully employed job which involves building a book of clients, which I believe this is completely different world from any multi-level or pyramid scheme. There is no fee to start, no incentive to recruit other sales reps, and certainly no encouragement to sell to sales reps you recruit. Our entire business is structured around our outfitters and their clientele. If there is more you’d like to share that you think can be helpful please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at mark@trumaker.com Thanks so much for sharing your experience in such detail. I’m so sorry that it wasn’t a great one and we’ll do our best to take your feedback and make positive change for the future.

"Don't walk-RUN!"

Current Employee - Outfitter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trumaker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing positive about this role. This company will suck you dry of money and micromanage you to severe depression. You'll have nightmares about "booking sessions" where they force you to call people that have no business being clients at all! They'll text/email/call you every hour to check in and threaten you with termination or probation every week. It's the most insane sales cycle. It's a pyramid scheme unfortunately.

Cons

As a W2 outfitter, you get paid about 19.00/ hour to use your own personal phone & # to call every one of your own personal contacts on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, etc. You get two days of training to learn how to measure, alter, deliver, sell, use Salesforce, etc. The contract claims "100 % commissionable revenue" but is a lie. They make you sell 23,000.00 worth of clothing for a measly 500.00 check, which ends up being negative -500.00 because this company charges their outfitters/advisors/stylists to pay for client shipping! They harass you to beg clients for referrals and really abuse both the clientele & sales team not to mention the support staff. You are severely micromanaged to the point of calling the suicide hotline. You leave this job feeling exhausted, overworked and underpaid. Every day I wake up I cry and beg God to not let me have to do this job. I'm trying to find another job but this job requires every ounce of energy and hour of your day. They force you to memorize 100 of scripts for each call or email you make. They have no tolerance for autonomy or intelligence. They hire under qualified people to sell only so they can treat them like slaves. If your client wants to get something altered or returned they force you to pay for a shipping label and also you as an outfitter are responsible for covering shipping costs. They only highlight their founder/master outfitters-who by the way get all the leads from the W2 people, they brag about driving Porsches and make 1/3 of what they sell. They're all crazed and manipulative. Your manager will demand that you record minimum 60 calls a day in addition to multiple appointments and then forces you to pay for networking Events that you don't get reimbursed for. The sales managers have no sales experience or product knowledge and just like to micromanage you to the point of tears and frustration. They will also brag about their 6 figure salary while you are living off minimum wage, scraping to get by. If you ask them to back off-they make you sign an agreement that you'll only communicate with clients exactly how they want you to. They beg you to harass your own family and ex boyfriends to buy Trumaker clothes. They don't care if your depressed or stressed as a result of the job, they just want to burn you out and deplete you of your personal network so they can build their client base. Your forced to work on Saturdays and Sundays and talked badly about by executives on company calls If you're not selling as much as outfitters from years ago. The founder/master outfitters have no sales experience and hire assistants that do all the work for them. You get no vacation and if you ask for it-they fire you. They don't care about work/life balance and they have not lives either and brag about that. It's all in all led me to be severely depressed and this is the same for 4 OTHER people too.

January 15, 2018

Thank you for posting your feelings and thoughts about the role. I wanted to offer my response as the founder and CEO. Words like this are hard to read, especially since we’ve only strived to build a great business over the last five years - one that provides a great value to customers and also a fulfilling experience to the people who work at Trumaker. Reading this review, I can’t help but be disappointed that you feel this way and have had such a poor experience with us. We work hard to make this not the case, and I’ve personally spoken with every employee over these past months to get direct feedback on what we are doing right and what needs improvement. And we look hard at how we are communicating the roles within our company, so that we are hiring people who will enjoy and succeed in their roles. Over this past year, we’ve transitioned the Outfitter role from a full-commission one to a fully employed role with a base salary, performance bonuses, and benefits. As a sales role, we do expect our outfitters to build a book of clients; though existing clients and company leads provided, as well as through their own networking efforts. In fact, we look to clearly communicate this so that we hire candidates who will be successful in the role. Something of great concern is your point about how a female outfitter is encouraged to portray herself to clients unprofessionally. From day one we’ve been passionate about our Outfitters being respected as professionals for the value they provide to clients. It’s absolutely unacceptable that you were coached differently, and I apologize that this occurred. We have since done a review of the matter and feel that we’ve rectified the issue. As a company primarily made up of women, (including half our executive team) mutual respect matters to us - a lot. Again, I care about your experience, and even though you’ve chosen to move on, my line is open to talk more or be helpful in anyway I can. Feel free to email me at (mark@trumaker.com) anytime.

Current Employee - Outfitter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trumaker full-time for less than a year

Pros

With the recent changes in regional management, there is so much more positive energy amongst the teams. Not only that, but we are also providing a better experience for our customers, which makes this role so much more fulfilling. Outfitters always thinking of ways to make this experience better, and our voices are heard no matter our tenur or region.

Cons

This job is not for the faint of heart, and I didn't really understand that going into the Outfitter position. You have to have thick skin, acceptance of peer coaching, resourcefulness, and a positive attitude above all else. This isn't a 9-5 role. As an Outfitter, the way you build your book of business is by finding those clients yourself, you have to be willing to seek out that interaction even if you've left work for the day.

Continue reading

"Styling and sales in one"

Current Employee - Outfitter

I have been working at Trumaker full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had to write a review of the Outfitter position after getting alerted to several one-star reviews which seem to be stating outright false information. Overall, I find the job is a challenging and rewarding sales role that allows me to work in fashion instead of another sales industry. The challenge comes from the fact that success is not immediate; for me, I didn't find my footing until months 6-8. But I wanted to use this space to clearly state the facts of the position (vs. the "alternative facts" I see popping up): - The role is a sales role. Like a lot of sales roles, you are expected to develop a book of business. - Compensation *does* include base and commission. The base is included in the form of a sales draw. Commission starts at 15% and scales past 30% of overall sales if you hit a few bonus levels. - This is not a "pyramid scheme" at all (perhaps the most confusing complaint I see). There is ZERO multi-level compensation. As an Outfitter I work under a Sales Director, and senior Outfitters can mentor newbies for a small bonus to their pay. The company has fewer than 100 stylists and no more than 2 stylists start each month in my office. It's completely the opposite of an MLM sales organization, and I find it disturbing there seems to be someone on Glassdoor repeatedly bringing this up. - The company helps new stylists get started by reaching out to their initial network. Even for myself, this means reaching out to your own personal network to get your first couple of sales done. The sales process is consultative and I felt zero awkwardness in asking my guy friends if they wanted to get styled and check out Trumaker. I've definitely had to do far more awkward reach outs in other sales roles. - The complaints I see about "hardcore sales" don't make sense to me. Trumaker's sales program is fairly basic sales 101: they teach you that clienteling often involves multiple touchpoints -- phone calls, emails, maybe a text message. Especially for busy clients this is completely normal to have to try multiple times Personally, I come from a sales background and I've learned to enjoy the Trumaker role immensely. The most rewarding moments come from helping VIP clients dress more confidently, and I've done everything from small wardrobe upgrades to complete closet cleanouts.

Cons

The company went through a bit of transition in 2016 to a new sales model. It's evident that the transition created a bit of friction in how people have been adapting to the role. This meant that when I first joined, some policies and procedures were still being ironed out. The company also continues to invest in various business development channels. Some of those initiatives can feel a bit "startup-y," which means you have to keep an open mind. One of the newer policies they've brought out is that all incoming hires receive a pre-existing "black book" of clients -- based on what I've seen, this can be a huge help in generating early wins in sales.

"Glad to be here!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Outfitter

I have been working at Trumaker full-time for less than a year

Pros

At Trumaker, the Outfitter role is that of a high-end stylist, pure and simple. The other reviews make it seem like it's a hardcore sales job, but it really not very different from what I've done in luxury consumer sales. You build your sales by doing appointments, and when you are not selling you are always reaching out and building your business. The major difference is that the company operates showrooms so that there is little walk-in traffic, but this is offset by "company-generated" leads that you may receive. I enjoy this versus traditional retail because of the more intimate nature of the experience, which is comparable to private shopping at high end brands. Leadership is very typical of many startups, the CEO is the vision guy and there are many areas of the business that are not very formally structured and require you to be self-organized. Overall the company heirarchy is quite flat and my emails to the founders receive quick responses. As I understand it, the company used to be a part-time model and the founders seem to be open to feedback during this time of transition into full-time Outfitters. This is also the first role where my feedback to the product team is taken into consideration as well.

Cons

The ramp-up is challenging but totally doable. I was averaging about 3-4 new clients per week. At week 4 the company gave me 150 pre-existing clients to help with my sales. The pay structure is a mix of base plus commission and is understandable with a bit of extra review. There are several tiers and layers so it does take a second or third look for things to click. I chose to work extra weekends because it would better serve my clients, and standard company expectations are Mondays through Fridays. Allowing outfitters to work weekend hours in exchange for days off during the week (like my past retail jobs) is something that would really help.

"Chicago Outfitter"

Former Employee - Outfitter in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Trumaker full-time for less than a year

Pros

At least they have wine.

Cons

FYI upper management tells outfitters to continually post positive reviews just to drown out the true ones. You can tell considering all the positive ones are posted on the same dates. Everything that is told to you in the interview process is a lie - you have to remember these are old school sales people, all they do is tell you what you want to hear whether it's true or not. Base salary? That's a joke. You'll be required to work 50+ hours a week but that doesn't mean you'll even be paid for it. The favoritism is out of control, and if you're not well liked the sales manager made sure everyone else knew about it. I've never had a manager actually start a morning meeting bragging and laughing about how he "tossed someone to the curb" or roll his eyes at you for asking a question he clearly didn't know how to answer. In my one month of working there I watched him hire almost 12 outfitters and not one of them stayed. The turnover rate is insane. All you are to them is FREE ADVERTISING you bring them hundreds of leads for free (your family and friends) and you are forced to call them and immediately try to sell them some over priced clothing, it is absolutely humiliating. A lead I had met through Facebook told me he had been so badly harassed by a former outfitter that he wanted to report the company. Mind blowing. All in all I'm not even sure how this is legal and I highly suggest that you do not waste your time trying to make a "career" here.

Former Contractor - Outfitter in Denver, CO
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Trumaker for less than a year

Pros

Potentially fun, good team of people to be around.

Cons

Trumaker is little short of a pyramid scheme of a company, bordering on MLM. You start at a 1099, and if you qualify for W2 and benefits, that is an option available to you, however, should you not meet their requirements on a monthly basis, your W2 status can be taken away from you. Also, the expectations they have for their team is more based on a W2 employee/employer structure but they do not pay you to act as an employee. They guarantee a base pay for the first four weeks of employment while you are in "training". (***Note: I read a Trumaker response on another Glassdoor review that said training is seven weeks. This is a lie). Training is supposed to be three weeks, and if you qualify for Sales Academy during training, you will got to Sales Academy in San Fran for the fourth week for more in-depth training. (I personally qualified for Sales Academy in nine days, and they never followed through on their end of the bargain by sending to Sales Academy in San Fran). Do not get it twisted - this is a sales job. Not fashion, not retail. Sales. Also note that Trumaker prides itself on their alleged outstanding training on the product as well as giving the outfitter the tools to be an outstanding sales person. Never once during my training did we go over product knowledge. Training is at best about a week where you are told to compile a lost of 500 prospects by going online and looking at websites for prospects. Example: Going to websites of attorneys, doctors, realtors, and getting their information and cold calling and emailing them to *hopefully* sell them a product they've likely never heard of. That is the sales training. Note - Trumaker is not hiring seasoned sales people with corporate sales backgrounds. They are not even hiring people with fashion backgrounds. They are hiring anyone and everyone they interview to make quick sales. In addition to that, the pay structure and commission percentages are not explained in detail. In my time there, I never heard the same information from any two people. I was told you get a base plus commission, I was told you get a draw against commission, and I was told your base is a pre-paid commission. The job is 100% commission, but before you work here, ask yourself if you can sell $20,000 immediately per month. You get 15% of that, (that's one number I was told. At the end of it, I received less than half of that in total pay-out). The clothes are nothing that's all that different from anything that's out there. The quality is at best a 7. Also, due to the way they use their marketing language on their site and in the look-books, the garments are not made in San Fran- they are made in China, and come back with 'Made In China' tags. We are told as outfitters to tell our clients that the garments are made "internationally", should they ask. These are sweatshop garments. Some clients don't care where or how they are made, but some do. You also have to pay out of pocket upfront for alterations, and wait to get reimbursed. The RTW line of clothes are not reimbursed should they need to be altered - another gap seeing how Trumaker prides itself on "built to fit" clothing. The client has to pay out of pocket for their alterations on RTW. This is definitely a 'Buyer Beware" situation. All of the inconsistencies you will inevitably have to deal with make for a very frustrating employment situation. They make you work for them full time in hopes of you bringing in clients. If you do not have a potential clientele base to start from, you will suffer greatly in this job. The job is literally cold calling and cold emailing people via email and social media. This is a glamorous-looking door-to-door salesman job. It's not fashion, it's not glamour, it's none of that. It's hitting up complete strangers hoping to make a sale. Trumaker uses one employee in particular as their poster child for the company. They don't however mention that her success is in part due to her manager handing her clients from our direct competition, and her connections to an affluent circle. Is her success possible? Maybe. But it is NOT the reality of what you will make at Trumaker. And that is how they lure junior outfitters to their company - by using an unrealistic example of success. If this particular outfitter was not with the company, they would not have leg to stand on as far as successful examples in the company. Please take extreme caution when deciding to work for this company. There are a lot of people who hold titles that don't have much follow through. If you know clothes and fashion, you will soon see that the quality is 1) Not worth the price, 2) There are better quality garments in the market that are made with a higher quality.

August 16, 2016co-founder

Thank you for your feedback! The Outfitter role is indeed a sales-focused role that starts with a trainee period. We have a clearly-defined 7-week Trainee program that provides Trainees with a ramp-up path into a full-time Outfitter position. All ramp-up and performance goals are made available during the interview process and from Day 1 to trainees. The compensation plan and how payment works are also clearly documented and available as reference materials to all Outfitters in their dashboards. We take pride in finding the best facilities -- whether in the USA or internationally -- and partnering with them to produce high-quality garments. Our product team regularly visits our factories and all our international facilities undergo third-party corporate social responsibility audits. We do not manufacture with any facilities that produce low-quality garments or operate with poor working conditions. We are incredibly proud of our network of international manufacturers and sources (from Asia to Europe and the Americas) and do not represent ourselves as a 100% made-in-the-USA brand in our marketing materials or on our site.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Trumaker for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility is wonderful. On our own schedule so you determine how much you want to work. Support is there if and when you need it.

Cons

As an outfitter you are also a salesperson. Can be challenging to sustain a living unless you are a hustler. But if you do the work, it can be done.

"Clear, Fair"

5.0

I have been working at Trumaker full-time

Pros

High quality product Provide high commission rates for performers Tons of training and support to help you build your cliental Provides company generate leads and appointments No charge or fee to be an outfitter Support provide for your customers

Cons

Independent role not for 9a-5p mindset Challenging work

Current Employee - Outfitter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trumaker full-time for more than a year

Pros

This role is a lot of fun and a really nice alternative to the boring cubicle 9-5. I enjoy the opportunity to meet and work with new and interesting people every day, both clients and colleagues. The product is very high quality and very well received by my clients. Brand recognition is growing daily, and the company has really worked hard to grow beyond made-to-measure shirts into becoming a well-rounded, full-service, built-to-fit style solution for men. Management is very open and approachable, and particularly in Chicago there is a lot of training and support available from leadership.

Cons

Not sure if this is a con, but the role requires hard work, dedication, organization and diligent follow-through in order to be successful. There is help if you ask for it, but nobody can wave a magic wand to make you a successful Outfitter.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 English Reviews