Turnitin Reviews

Found 92 of over 147 reviews

4.5
Turnitin Chairman & CEO Chris Caren
Chris Caren
Pros
  • "Really supportive atmosphere with good collaboration between colleagues and a common sense approach to work life balance(in 26 reviews)

• "Great people, amazing office with different areas to work(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There has been some worry around the office with some turnover, but given the changes in the tech stack, it's to be expected(in 5 reviews)

• "Compensation is fair but tough to compete with inflated Bay Area startups(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company to work for!

Feb 25, 2021 - Product Manager in Newcastle, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, many of personal/professional development opportunities, great work benefits, very supportive colleagues. People team go above and beyond to help continuously improve and provide valuable resources and opportunities for staff! Fantastic management teams, from Director to C-Level.

Cons

Some gender pay gap is still apparent, as well as seniority role gaps between US/UK staff

Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for the review and we are so happy that you enjoy working with us! We appreciate your insight and are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion globally. We will continuously review the global business (internally and externally) to make sure that we are as consistent and fair as possible.

2. 5.0

Great team fun atmosphere

Jul 8, 2020 - Technical Support Specialist in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Turnitin is a very welcoming company in general. Covid hasn't changed anything about that, everyone is interested in getting to know you when you're new and there are many systems in place to ensure that you feel welcomed. The team itself is fairly big with lots of different personalities, there's a real sense of camaraderie and a shared purpose. The best part is how social everyone in the team is, it's very easy to chat to everyone and feel part of the team. Not to mention how open everyone in the team is to helping each other, that's probably the most noticeable thing compared to other companies I have worked in. If you're struggling with an issue or need some extra support with your work the entire team are geared towards helping. Everyone is so knowledgeable and it's very reassuring to see how little micro-managing is done. The company is booming at the moment due to online education becoming more prevalent so it's a good time to join as there's lots to do. Exec level management for this department is exceptional and the entire management team are second to none, I've been supported since I started to grow in the role and to take on new projects.

Cons

There could be more emphasis on continued professional development, some people enjoy the structure of development happening in a formal way.

Talent Acquisition Consultant

Many thanks for taking time to give Tii a review on glassdoor. It's really heartwarming to see that you're enjoying life at Tii even in these times when we're not physically located together. Great news for us that you're having a positive experience. We totally agree with you, we highly recommend that Employees look at professional development constantly, and to this end we've got a great framework of career ladders for the Technical Support job family which you can access to support choices on your development. Please talk to your Line Manager or our People Business Partner locally (Grace) about this. You can also look toward Tii Elements for self-driven development ideas on generic behaviours/skills. Hope this helps. Thanks again for your review!

3. 5.0

Excellent workplace

Feb 15, 2021 - Tier-1 Support in Newcastle, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff and management are helpful

Cons

No cons that I can think of

Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for the review! As employee engagement is a top priority at Turnitin, we are always looking for suggestions on what we can do better. Please feel free to make recommendations to the People Team directly or to comment on our Bi-Annual CultureAmp engagement survey.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place, great people!

Mar 18, 2020 - Technical Support in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The location is great, in the heart of Newcastle city centre. The open-space office and the whole environment is modern and fresh. The people there are friendly and nice, there's lots of flexibility to help you balance work and personal life. Management is easy to approach and always ready to listen/help. Free snacks of all sorts, kitchen facilities to make and store your own meal. TV entertainment unit (i.e. PlayStation), ping pong table, a library for when you need to switch off a bit. Social events are organised regularly and a lot of swag is often provided too. There's no pressure, no strict deadlines and it is not a highly driven environment, on the contrary, it's relaxed and easy-going. Turnitin has been the best place where I've worked so far. It's a place where you are valued as a person, not a number.

Cons

Nothing! It's hard to think of something wrong. If you're not too social, then maybe there are too many social events going on but there's no pressure to attend and no judgment, so that's still positive!

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

5. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Mar 20, 2020 - Product Support Specialist in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really supportive atmosphere with good collaboration between colleagues and a common sense approach to work life balance. More experienced team members make themselves available to help and answer questions which really accelerates your product learning and makes you part of the team from the outset. Opportunities for continuous development are available if you want to make the most of them. Team leaders and managers encourage you to work to a high standard through sensible positive support and without the distraction of oppressive targets or constant oversight.

Cons

You will get the best out of working here if you are comfortable using your initiative and common sense. If you prefer a more prescribed workflow this may not be a good fit. You get too used to having a choice of drinks and food so it makes your home cupboards look bad!

Director of Learning and International People

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great news that you're having a positive experience. It is wonderful to hear it :)

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

No work and bullying

Mar 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely office, free snacks, free lunches, casual wear, good work/life balance for people with children, HR is lovely, colleagues are very helpful and there is a lot of knowledge available to the Support Team.

Cons

Company is too informal. The culture allows for sexual harassment, bullying and mobbing to occur. Once you open up about these issues, you'll hear plenty similar stories of colleagues. There's a zero-tolerance of sexual harassment which is what prevents people from reporting the behaviour or giving names. In sharp contrast, the company completely lacks a definition of and policy on bullying so the behaviour continues after reporting it. HR is lovely but too busy to read up on the issues I had reported before having a new meeting. The company is also investing more in mental health support which is good as mental health is still not seen as a reason to work from home for the day. I believe that there should be no difference between mental health and physical health. The work itself is fine but it progresses slowly and I only got a few hours work each day instead of a full day's work. Sometimes as little as one or two hours a day - even on the busiest days I barely had a full day's work. This improves slightly with more training, but then most of my individual requests, e.g. different work hours / more training / more work, had been denied.

5 people found this review helpful

Director of Learning and International People

I was saddened to read you did not enjoy your experience at Tii and worried by your comments about bullying/harassment and a lack of work in the Technical Support team. I would be glad to have a 1-1 with you so you can share more with me on these issues - so please do get in touch. I did want to point out a couple of things that you reference in your feedback which are factually incorrect, and which I think are super important to set straight: Our policy in relation to bullying and harassment complaints is contained in the UK Handbook, which is accessible to all our Employees 24/7 via the Bamboo system. The matter is also referenced in our contract of employment. We can work with anonymous complaints if circumstances warrant that. The psychological security and safety of our People is uppermost in our thinking here. All Employees have access to the HR team whenever they have need, additionally we schedule 3 x 1-1s during the first 3 months of employment and we do an additional anniversary check-in, to stay close to everyone. There are 3 People team members based in the UK - working in the HR arena - for a cohort of 160 people in EMEA. If one of us is unavailable, people are super welcome to reach out to another member of the team. I can think of a handful of occasions when this might not have been possible - because one of us was on annual leave and a team member was unwell, or when two of the team were in the USA. It is not a standard situation that only one of us is available for a meeting. People are our number 1 concern and we drop everything for people in need, so I would love to hear more from you direct on your experience of not being able to reach one of us - as above, please feel free to get in touch with me. I loved your suggestion about open surgery sessions - these are a wonderful idea. We did pilot open surgery sessions at Tii Newcastle and found that they were not used - the feedback was that people preferred to come when they have need, and not wait for the open surgery session. Thank you for saying we are lovely :) Mental ill health is treated in exactly the same way as physical ill health - our people tell us when they are unable to work because of any kind of ill health, our approach to sick pay/working arrangements and support applies regardless. We have a subjective and flexible approach to working from home, which is based on the prevailing circumstances and the needs of the individual. Please do reach out - I'd love to talk with you further.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Brilliant place and brilliant people

Jul 31, 2019 - Anonymous in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing place to work with plenty of perks and benefits such as social events, fully stocked kitchen, free food on a regular basis, gym membership reimbursement and more. The company presents plenty of opportunity for career progression and recognises your hard work. Management style is very good, with regular 1-1's and ongoing support, and HR go out of their way to encourage an open door policy. People are generally very friendly and welcoming.

Cons

As a company the focus is, at times, not where it should be.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks you for your feedback. In a post acquisition environment there will be adjustments. As a company we stay true our mission and vision, continue to promote academic integrity, streamline grading and feedback, deter plagiarism, and improve student outcomes.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture and trust in employees

Sep 18, 2019 - Operations in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Organisational culture is great, you feel valued and trusted. Very inclusive environment, no matter which department or team you are in. There is huge emphasis on personal development and learning. Everyone feels great about the services and products we are offering to our clients.

Cons

I don't have any negative things to share.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Brilliant place to work

Feb 20, 2017 - Operations & Support in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The morale is fantastic, you feel it right away. Its high energy and dynamic. Everyone is highly motivated and focused on doing great work with the great products we've got - which also have a meaningful purpose, so there is a feel good factor. People are very committed to the Company and to each other. There are loads of community things we do - HR team run lots of events, and we have a staff forum and a charity committee etc - all great. It is a very very friendly fun place to work. Great working environment too, lots of collaboration space, lots of opportunity for people to work with other teams, hot desking is encouraged. Managers sit with their people out in the open office - lots of access to them. Leadership are also really accessible and open and they seem to really care about us, invest themselves in the business culture and listen/respond to feedback - change seems to happen fast at Tii, and definitely for the right reasons. There is little management by committee or procrastination, people are empowered to get things done and are trusted to get on with it. I feel that I can definitely grow here. There are ambitious plans for the future - company strategy is now very clear and easy to follow and get behind. Fab kick-off event for the Sales team in January showcased this.

Cons

No xbox in the Newcastle office - only a PS4. :) We only have two guitars for the Guitar Hero. But seriously, we could do with an intranet or Sharepoint.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Global company with supportive & empowering culture

Jun 29, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

First of all Turnitin's a great product that has a real impact on education so I feel good about getting out of bed every morning to come work here! It's had incredible growth which means there are tons of opportunities. There have been some significant changes in the exec team in the last couple of years which has brought in some amazing talent and leadership, with a focus on flat structure and empowerment which makes for a challenging but supportive work environment. The changes have also made it a truly global company with offices popping up all over the world which means there's a lot of opportunity for travel and working with teams in other regions. In Newcastle we have an amazing HR/facilities team who are super supportive when people have issues and also provide great perks (free fruit, snacks, playstation, staff socials, subsidized gym membership etc)

Cons

Constant growth means constant change, which means that people have to be adaptable and open to being challenged, personally this it part of why I love the job but isn't everyone's idea of fun! Also growth has brought some challenges around internal communication which need to be worked on (to be expected with the growth in staff and also new offices/locations/languages).

International HRBP

If someone asked me how I would love to hear my team being described - AMAZING - is right up there. Thank you very much for that, we are so glad to be of service to you, it really is our pleasure so it feels so good to hear this from you. Totally agree on change, I find it highly motivational too! Working with new colleagues this month in Ecuador and India - its so exciting. I also agree we've attracted some top talent in our Executive, in Leadership posts and within our teams to complement the exceptional people already on board the Tii bus. Its definitely enabling both the growth and continued great performance. Go us!!! We are definitely still polishing and trying out different ideas in relation to Internal Communications - help us to make it better : point out when we do trip up and feed any ideas you have about what you want to hear more of to any member of the People team. Don't be shy!!! Thanks again Clare

Viewing 1 - 10 of 92 Reviews