Turnitin Reviews

Updated 20 Mar 2020

4.3
Turnitin Chairman & CEO Chris Caren
Chris Caren
Pros
  • "Really supportive atmosphere with good collaboration between colleagues and a common sense approach to work life balance(in 26 reviews)

• "Great people, amazing office with different areas to work(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "There has been some worry around the office with some turnover, but given the changes in the tech stack, it's to be expected(in 5 reviews)

• "Turnitin is an older, more mature company than many Bay Area tech companies(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin part-time for more than a year

Pros

Really supportive atmosphere with good collaboration between colleagues and a common sense approach to work life balance. More experienced team members make themselves available to help and answer questions which really accelerates your product learning and makes you part of the team from the outset. Opportunities for continuous development are available if you want to make the most of them. Team leaders and managers encourage you to work to a high standard through sensible positive support and without the distraction of oppressive targets or constant oversight.

Cons

You will get the best out of working here if you are comfortable using your initiative and common sense. If you prefer a more prescribed workflow this may not be a good fit. You get too used to having a choice of drinks and food so it makes your home cupboards look bad!

Turnitin2020-03-20

April 9, 2020Director of Learning and International People

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great news that you're having a positive experience. It is wonderful to hear it :)

2. "Great place, great people!"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The location is great, in the heart of Newcastle city centre. The open-space office and the whole environment is modern and fresh. The people there are friendly and nice, there's lots of flexibility to help you balance work and personal life. Management is easy to approach and always ready to listen/help. Free snacks of all sorts, kitchen facilities to make and store your own meal. TV entertainment unit (i.e. PlayStation), ping pong table, a library for when you need to switch off a bit. Social events are organised regularly and a lot of swag is often provided too. There's no pressure, no strict deadlines and it is not a highly driven environment, on the contrary, it's relaxed and easy-going. Turnitin has been the best place where I've worked so far. It's a place where you are valued as a person, not a number.

Cons

Nothing! It's hard to think of something wrong. If you're not too social, then maybe there are too many social events going on but there's no pressure to attend and no judgment, so that's still positive!

Turnitin2020-03-18

April 9, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

"No work and bullying"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Turnitin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely office, free snacks, free lunches, casual wear, good work/life balance for people with children, HR is lovely, colleagues are very helpful and there is a lot of knowledge available to the Support Team.

Cons

Company is too informal. The culture allows for sexual harassment, bullying and mobbing to occur. Once you open up about these issues, you'll hear plenty similar stories of colleagues. There's a zero-tolerance of sexual harassment which is what prevents people from reporting the behaviour or giving names. In sharp contrast, the company completely lacks a definition of and policy on bullying so the behaviour continues after reporting it. HR is lovely but too busy to read up on the issues I had reported before having a new meeting. The company is also investing more in mental health support which is good as mental health is still not seen as a reason to work from home for the day. I believe that there should be no difference between mental health and physical health. The work itself is fine but it progresses slowly and I only got a few hours work each day instead of a full day's work. Sometimes as little as one or two hours a day - even on the busiest days I barely had a full day's work. This improves slightly with more training, but then most of my individual requests, e.g. different work hours / more training / more work, had been denied.

Turnitin2020-03-04

March 23, 2020Director of Learning and International People

I was saddened to read you did not enjoy your experience at Tii and worried by your comments about bullying/harassment and a lack of work in the Technical Support team. I would be glad to have a 1-1 with you so you can share more with me on these issues - so please do get in touch. I did want to point out a couple of things that you reference in your feedback which are factually incorrect, and which I think are super important to set straight: Our policy in relation to bullying and harassment complaints is contained in the UK Handbook, which is accessible to all our Employees 24/7 via the Bamboo system. The matter is also referenced in our contract of employment. We can work with anonymous complaints if circumstances warrant that. The psychological security and safety of our People is uppermost in our thinking here. All Employees have access to the HR team whenever they have need, additionally we schedule 3 x 1-1s during the first 3 months of employment and we do an additional anniversary check-in, to stay close to everyone. There are 3 People team members based in the UK - working in the HR arena - for a cohort of 160 people in EMEA. If one of us is unavailable, people are super welcome to reach out to another member of the team. I can think of a handful of occasions when this might not have been possible - because one of us was on annual leave and a team member was unwell, or when two of the team were in the USA. It is not a standard situation that only one of us is available for a meeting. People are our number 1 concern and we drop everything for people in need, so I would love to hear more from you direct on your experience of not being able to reach one of us - as above, please feel free to get in touch with me. I loved your suggestion about open surgery sessions - these are a wonderful idea. We did pilot open surgery sessions at Tii Newcastle and found that they were not used - the feedback was that people preferred to come when they have need, and not wait for the open surgery session. Thank you for saying we are lovely :) Mental ill health is treated in exactly the same way as physical ill health - our people tell us when they are unable to work because of any kind of ill health, our approach to sick pay/working arrangements and support applies regardless. We have a subjective and flexible approach to working from home, which is based on the prevailing circumstances and the needs of the individual. Please do reach out - I'd love to talk with you further.

4. "Great culture and trust in employees"

Current Employee - Operations in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Organisational culture is great, you feel valued and trusted. Very inclusive environment, no matter which department or team you are in. There is huge emphasis on personal development and learning. Everyone feels great about the services and products we are offering to our clients.

Cons

I don't have any negative things to share.

Turnitin2019-09-18

December 8, 2019Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback!

5. "Brilliant place and brilliant people"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing place to work with plenty of perks and benefits such as social events, fully stocked kitchen, free food on a regular basis, gym membership reimbursement and more. The company presents plenty of opportunity for career progression and recognises your hard work. Management style is very good, with regular 1-1's and ongoing support, and HR go out of their way to encourage an open door policy. People are generally very friendly and welcoming.

Cons

As a company the focus is, at times, not where it should be.

Turnitin2019-07-31

December 8, 2019Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks you for your feedback. In a post acquisition environment there will be adjustments. As a company we stay true our mission and vision, continue to promote academic integrity, streamline grading and feedback, deter plagiarism, and improve student outcomes.

"Bullying and Harassment in a very unprofessional company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Turnitin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company provides free snacks. Some good social activities.

Cons

People are not treated equally or fairly, there are examples of people being promoted to management positions only for being drinking buddies with a director. One of the directors in the UK office acts very unprofessionally on a regular basis, this director has shouted and threatened people in meetings and accused members of being unproductive while other members in the same team who are less productive seem to be humoured and be able to "get away with murder" without any repercussions. This director creates a split in the team due do not being able to separate personal from professional relationships.

Turnitin2018-08-29

September 6, 2018Director of Learning and International People

I was sad to read your observations of life at Turnitin Newcastle. My team and I work very hard with the Leadership of the Company to nurture a buzzing community of proactive, progressive and professional people, and to create an environment where everyone is thriving and treated with respect and dignity. Favouritism is unwelcome, as is the inappropriate behaviour you describe. Everyone at Turnitin has an open invitation to talk confidentially with the People team anytime about any problem that they face - we have introduced a regular opportunity for everyone to give feedback twice a year anonymously. We also hold a 1-1 between everyone at Tii and a member of the People team (at least once a year) to check in and talk about their experiences and observations. When there are issues in teams and between individuals at Tii, these situations are carefully handled with the utmost sensitivity, with everyone's best interests and the best outcome in mind. I would very much welcome you to reach out to me or to Grace Littler to talk further about this feedback.

"Customer success consultant"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Great culture and work life balance

Cons

Lack of company vision at times compensated by the great people in the team

Turnitin2018-06-13

"Good atmosphere"

4.0
    Former Employee - Something in Newcastle, England

I worked at Turnitin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice office, great people, excellent at identifying talent, great employee culture and party planning

Cons

restructuring at the time of employment caused some exits and a change

Turnitin2018-06-05

June 6, 2018International HRBP

Thank you very much for your review, this is much appreciated feedback, as we put a great deal of time and effort into our approach to People. I'm so glad that you've had a positive experience at talent attraction/acquisition stage and throughout the time you were with us at our events. I totally agree with you about the great people!!

"Amazing place to work at"

Current Employee - Field Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place, beautiful office and location. Great atmosphere around the office and constantly learning. They really care about people.

Cons

Could have more progression opportunity

Turnitin2018-01-08

January 15, 2018SVP People

Thanks so much for the feedback! We are working hard to create opportunities for progression and encourage you to discuss with your manager and / or someone from the People Team about your career goals.

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked for this company for a number of years now, and seen the company grow, I believe the company does a lot to look after the employees that work hard. They treat all employees fairly and listen to employees when a problem occurs.

Cons

I think sometimes there is still a gap between the US and remote offices, I do believe this gap is becoming less and less, but sometimes it can be frustrating as the remote offices have the skills but often are left to help rather than lead.

Turnitin2017-09-24

December 1, 2017CTO

Thank you very much for the great review. I really appreciate your feedback about treating employees fairly - this is extremely important to us and I am glad you believe it is one of our company strengths. Thank you for your advice on having other geographies lead projects. We have had a couple of examples where this has been effective but I know that with the very talented leadership that we have around the world that we can do more. Perhaps a lot more. There are a number of projects that are currently being led outside of headquarters, and we anticipate this to continue and to have more opportunities like this in the future. One of our key focus areas in 2018 is how to drive more cross functional effectiveness through a global team. Our world is truly global now and while we still have work to do, we operate in all major timezones. Please stay tuned for more on this and don't hesitate to reach out if you have specific ideas.

Found 85 reviews