Turnitin Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 123 reviews

4.2
Turnitin CEO Chris Caren
Chris Caren
Pros
  • "Excellent benefits and work life balance(in 24 reviews)

• "Great people work here (but these are a dying species) that truly care about the business and product(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "There has been some worry around the office with some turnover, but given the changes in the tech stack, it's to be expected(in 5 reviews)

• "Turnitin is an older, more mature company than many Bay Area tech companies(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great culture and trust in employees"

Current Employee - Operations in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Organisational culture is great, you feel valued and trusted. Very inclusive environment, no matter which department or team you are in. There is huge emphasis on personal development and learning. Everyone feels great about the services and products we are offering to our clients.

Cons

I don't have any negative things to share.

Turnitin2019-09-18
  2. "Brilliant place and brilliant people"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing place to work with plenty of perks and benefits such as social events, fully stocked kitchen, free food on a regular basis, gym membership reimbursement and more. The company presents plenty of opportunity for career progression and recognises your hard work. Management style is very good, with regular 1-1's and ongoing support, and HR go out of their way to encourage an open door policy. People are... generally very friendly and welcoming.

Cons

As a company the focus is, at times, not where it should be.

Turnitin2019-07-31

"Bullying and Harassment in a very unprofessional company"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Turnitin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company provides free snacks. Some good social activities.

Cons

People are not treated equally or fairly, there are examples of people being promoted to management positions only for being drinking buddies with a director. One of the directors in the UK office acts very unprofessionally on a regular basis, this director has shouted and threatened people in meetings and accused members of being unproductive while other members in the same team who are less productive seem to be... humoured and be able to "get away with murder" without any repercussions. This director creates a split in the team due do not being able to separate personal from professional relationships.

Advice to Management

Separate personal from professional relationships as this is turning the work environment to be toxic.

Turnitin2018-08-29

September 6, 2018Director of Learning and International People

I was sad to read your observations of life at Turnitin Newcastle. My team and I work very hard with the Leadership of the Company to nurture a buzzing community of proactive, progressive and professional people, and to create an environment where everyone is thriving and treated with respect and dignity. Favouritism is unwelcome, as is the inappropriate behaviour you describe. Everyone at Turnitin has an open invitation to talk confidentially with the People team anytime about any problem that they face - we have introduced a regular opportunity for everyone to give feedback twice a year anonymously. We also hold a 1-1 between everyone at Tii and a member of the People team (at least once a year) to check in and talk about their experiences and observations. When there are issues in teams and between individuals at Tii, these situations are carefully handled with the utmost sensitivity, with everyone's best interests and the best outcome in mind. I would very much welcome you to reach out to me or to Grace Littler to talk further about this feedback.

"Apart from some toxic work environment - good!"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Great benefits Great training Variety of work to get into and the product itself is very interesting Gadgets provided at office are very Hi-Tec Free food, tea etc Very fun office outings

Cons

Toxic work environment - especially in the customer service area I've seen someone in a trainer position to be bullied away and others to desperately look for other positions so they can leave, lots of drama and you need to suck it up to the right people and give of the right vibes to be accepted or otherwise any kind of promotion or balance at work is not possible In some parts no possibility of growth They do... ask you to put in extra work without any chance of a raise Very US-centric Communication between department sometimes missing

Advice to Management

Maybe look into bullying? Try to sort out the communication issues between management and employees

Turnitin2018-07-24

August 1, 2018Global Support Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I really welcome your feedback as we’re continuously learning and growing. We take whatever we learn as an opportunity to continue to build what is already a great culture into an amazing one. Whilst your pros speak for themselves, I would like to address the cons that you have highlighted. You mention there is a toxic work environment and whilst this has never been pointed out in past staff surveys or been brought to my attention, this is something that I will certainly investigate further. We are committed to creating an environment where all of our employees can thrive. You allude to bullying a number of times within your review and this is something that I take extremely seriously. At Turnitin we look to make this a fun, welcoming and inclusive workplace. As such, we have a zero tolerance approach to bullying and any substantiated instance of bullying will be dealt with swiftly and appropriately. Within the support function at Turnitin we pride ourselves on promoting from within whenever possible. All of the promotions we make are based on a combination of a structured interview process, experience, merit and internal references. Whilst we don’t openly discuss individuals pay, I can confirm that over the past 2 years, there is not one person within the support team that has not received a pay rise at least once each year. As an existing member of staff, I would welcome you to approach myself or anyone on the People Team in confidence where we can discuss your concerns and work together to address them.

"Customer success consultant"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Great culture and work life balance

Cons

Lack of company vision at times compensated by the great people in the team

Turnitin2018-06-13

"Good atmosphere"

Former Employee - Something in Newcastle, England

I worked at Turnitin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice office, great people, excellent at identifying talent, great employee culture and party planning

Cons

restructuring at the time of employment caused some exits and a change

Turnitin2018-06-05

June 6, 2018International HRBP

Thank you very much for your review, this is much appreciated feedback, as we put a great deal of time and effort into our approach to People. I'm so glad that you've had a positive experience at talent attraction/acquisition stage and throughout the time you were with us at our events. I totally agree with you about the great people!!

"Amazing place to work at"

Current Employee - Field Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place, beautiful office and location. Great atmosphere around the office and constantly learning. They really care about people.

Cons

Could have more progression opportunity

Turnitin2018-01-08

January 15, 2018SVP People

Thanks so much for the feedback! We are working hard to create opportunities for progression and encourage you to discuss with your manager and / or someone from the People Team about your career goals.

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked for this company for a number of years now, and seen the company grow, I believe the company does a lot to look after the employees that work hard. They treat all employees fairly and listen to employees when a problem occurs.

Cons

I think sometimes there is still a gap between the US and remote offices, I do believe this gap is becoming less and less, but sometimes it can be frustrating as the remote offices have the skills but often are left to help rather than lead.

Advice to Management

I think Management need to work on closing the gap between the remote offices and US. The Big projects often happen in the US and the remote offices are left to help rather than lead

Turnitin2017-09-24

December 1, 2017CTO

Thank you very much for the great review. I really appreciate your feedback about treating employees fairly - this is extremely important to us and I am glad you believe it is one of our company strengths. Thank you for your advice on having other geographies lead projects. We have had a couple of examples where this has been effective but I know that with the very talented leadership that we have around the world that we can do more. Perhaps a lot more. There are a number of projects that are currently being led outside of headquarters, and we anticipate this to continue and to have more opportunities like this in the future. One of our key focus areas in 2018 is how to drive more cross functional effectiveness through a global team. Our world is truly global now and while we still have work to do, we operate in all major timezones. Please stay tuned for more on this and don't hesitate to reach out if you have specific ideas.

"Oasis"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Turnitin is like an Oasis in the employment landscape of the North East of England. Everyone who works at turnitin is made to feel valued and the company actually cares about it's staff, often going out of it's way to make sure that we are happy and fulfilled. The work life balance offered by the company is second to none. I feel lucky to work here.

Cons

Like most companies, there are some internal politics but this very minimal compared to every other places I have worked. The company sometimes lacks a little direction but this is probably down the speed of its expansion.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people, while working hard to maintain the culture and you can't go wrong.

Turnitin2017-07-11

October 11, 2017VP, Product

Thanks so much for your feedback. The culture of Turnitin is really important to the entire company and something we are all proud of. The company direction is also key of course. As we've grown we've had to get more rigorous about setting the strategic direction and communicating it consistently throughout the company.

"Great place to be!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Turnitin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Turnitin has a great work-life balance- the Newcastle Office knows how to work hard and deliver, but it also has a fantastic range of socials and little perks organised by the HR & Facilities Team. I have been given amazing opportunities here, beginning as one of the most junior employees, moving through the team to my current position, where I have an international remit. Throughout this, Turnitin have supported... me while I have studied part time to gain professional accreditation. Turnitin is genuinely a great place to work, it is very rare to suffer from the Monday blues! The work that the company does ("revolutionising the experience of writing to learn") really is a driver to staff, and the work put in to maintain the unique culture of the office really pays off. Little perks such as celebrating Star Wars Day, Valentines Day and July 4th are the icing on the cake.

Cons

As the company has grown fast, internal communication can sometimes leave a little to be desired, as is the case with many companies in similar situations. This is something that Turnitin is working on, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it gets tackled!

Advice to Management

Keep working to maintain the culture as we grow and become even more international!

Turnitin2017-07-04

July 10, 2017International HRBP

Wow - that's wonderful to hear, thank you so much for sharing your experience and your thoughts. Your story is truly inspiring to hear. So much more to come in terms of personal and professional development opportunities as we continue to grow. I hear you on internal communications, we are trialling different things out - so keep the feedback coming, you can pop and see me anytime on this with any ideas you might like us to look at or to tip me off when things have not gone quite right. Or drop me a slack IM. Thanks again for your review - next social is the Summer Party :) you are going to love it!

Found 123 reviews