Turtle Bay Reviews

3.9
Turtle Bay Founder Ajith Jayawickrema
Ajith Jayawickrema
Pros
Cons
  • "Stressful hours, long hours don't expect to have good Sleeping pattern someday's you'll finish early other days you'll be there till late(in 12 reviews)

• "paying 3% back to the company often meant dipping into my float(in 7 reviews)

1. "great company"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Turtle Bay full-time

Pros

a great vibe look after employees

Cons

pressure and can be clicky

2. "Great People, Stressful Company"

Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at Turtle Bay part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Food & Drink, Great staff

Cons

Impossible Workload, Deceptive Marketing leading to aggressive customers

Continue reading
  3. "Really enjoyed working here"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Manchester, England

I worked at Turtle Bay full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Would definitely recommend working here especially to students looking for a part time job. Lots of fun shifts and decent money

Cons

Long shifts but that is what is expected in the service industry, not out of the ordinary

June 5, 2020People Team

Cheers for the great feedback - we couldn't agree more. Thank you for the years you spent with us :)

4. "Great environment to work and learn"

Former Employee - Bartender in Cheltenham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Turtle Bay full-time

Pros

Learn new techniques such as free pouring Friendly work environment Great food and drinks Great staff discount for family and friends

Cons

Long hours A lot to learn Changing menus can’t be difficult to keep track off

May 27, 2020People Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review - glad to see you got to learn some new behind the bar techniques! I'll be sure to pass on your feedback about running more training sessions - we love to develop and grow our team from within and want to make sure we're supporting you to get the right skills and experience to do so.

5. "Awful"

1.0
    Former Employee - Busser in Bristol, England

I worked at Turtle Bay part-time for more than a year

Pros

Not many.. guarunteed hours as a busser as the restaurant cannot run without you.. yet TB exploit this. Other waiters/waitresses almost become like family since you have to endure horrible work environments together.

Cons

Rarely treated like a human - given long shifts with, at most, a 10minute cigarette break - more if you're liked by the managers or in a relationship with them. The Bristol restaurant only ever had 2 bussers yet this was not enough to have the restaurant run efficiently. To add to that the company are excessively CHEAP - consistently under-staffed to save money meaning EVERYONE on shift was always in a bad mood as we were all over-worked. Waiters also should NOT have to pay back 3% of their takings for the shift back to the company from their tips. On interview I was promised I'd get tipped out by waiters on every shift, but never was as they would often have no tips left after literally PAYING the company to work there - understandble! Staff were OFTEN intoxicated on shift.. managers turned a blind eye to this. On one staff work party a manager initiated a game where everyone bet on who'd throw up first - he bet on me and proceeded to try and get me drunk even though I wasn't legally old enough to drink. MANY many many work place relationships - not uncommon to experience tensions on shift because a manager and his waitress girlfriend were arguing. Non-managment staff were generally great, except they often saw my role as below them and never asked for favours, just bossed me around. Undoubtbly the reataurant relied on the bussers to run but we were never seen as a focus for support. Yes our job is to clean tables, wash cutlery, collect glasses, refresh stock, but this doesnt mean that nobody else had to help with that. On a shift where it's fully booked all night taking in between 20k-30k, 2 bussers cannot fulfil our roles as theres was not enough of us.. and waiters would just stand around doing nothing for long periods of time.

6. "Avoid at all costs"

1.0
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Cheltenham, England

I worked at Turtle Bay part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the staff were lovely and friendly

Cons

Absolutely everything else. If I could give 0 stars I could. Huge lack of training, if you’ve never waitresses before, don’t bother going here!! asked for help as I was new on multiple occasions and was pretty much ignored. Given big tables straight away so you had no chance of managing on your own. Left to figure it out by yourself. If you were struggling on a training quiz the management just did it for me on more than one occasion so never learnt anything. Having to give percentage of tips back at the end of the night is an absolute joke and the company should be ashamed of themselves! I left after one awful night. Had only done a few shifts. Given a big table of around 20. Left on my own to sort it, took orders and was told kitchen had run out of almost everything. Chefs getting frustrated as understandably they wanted to go home. Brand new waitress trying to remember all the drinks, all the food that was left in the kitchen and trying to suggest alternatives. Went back with orders and chefs told me more things they had run out of. Took over an hour to get everyone’s order in and only when I asked for the 10th time for help from management. Restaurant closed later than usual due to the lack of help- all could have been avoided if I had received the help I was asking for. Was then left to clean everything including the coffee machine that has to be taken apart which no one showed me how to do! Complete lack of organisation and unwillingness to assists new members of staff. Would never advise anyone to work here!

May 27, 2020People Team

Hi there, i'm deeply concerned about the poor experience you described. This is far beyond what we would expect in any of our restaurants. Whilst you're not an employee anymore we would still invite you to contact us directly to discuss this in more detail. Just write to us at hr@turtlebay.co.uk to get in touch.

7. "Good company"

Current Employee - Front of House

I have been working at Turtle Bay part-time

Pros

Restaurant team are all very friendly Good social benefits

Cons

Paying 3% service contribution every shift

May 27, 2020People Team

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a review. As a current employee you'll be in the know with what changes are happening, but if you do want to chat to one of us about it then give us a shout at hr@turtlebay.co.uk with your contact number and we'll be in touch.

8. "Fun environment, not great mangement/HQ"

Former Employee - Cocktail Bartender

I worked at Turtle Bay part-time

Pros

Great people, had fun, good pay

Cons

Really long hours, unfair tip policies, a bit disorganized

May 28, 2020People Team

We pride ourselves on having a fun environment and it's our people that really bring that to life! We're always looking for ways to improve and your feedback helps us to do that. If you'd like to share some more insight in to how from a bar team point of view we could improve our organisation then just ping us a message - hr@turtlebay.co.uk.

9. "MK turtle bay"

4.0
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Turtle Bay full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere, great people when they are happy

Cons

Occasional negativity from all levels of the team and low drive to push for succession

March 4, 2020People Team

Cheers for taking the time to share your experience. We've taken note of your comments about succession and will look in to this as we LOVE to grow our teams from within in all of our sites.

10. "4 great years with a great Company"

Current Employee - Senior General Manager in Guildford, England

I have been working at Turtle Bay full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great company to work for. -Bi annual Company parties (some of which have been epic) -One Pot bonus program - Great career development opportunities -Family feel throughout all restaurants

Cons

Don't have any that are of concern

February 25, 2020People Team

Here's to many more years with you filled with rum, reggae and jerk!

Found 130 reviews