Twilio Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 2, 2019

4.1
Twilio CEO Jeff Lawson
Jeff Lawson
Pros
  • "Work life balance is amazing, and each manager I've had has been extremely reasonable with expectations(in 9 reviews)

• "Great culture that doesn't feel contrived or forced(in 8 reviews)

"The nine values"

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is determined to hold to it's nine value as it grows, and this makes it a fantastic, honest and open place to work. I've never been part of such a large team that is so passionate, committed and truly believe in what they are doing. The work life balance is fantastic, with unlimited PTO and a "family-first" attitude, burn out is tackled by being offered time to rest and relax. The perks are amazing,... travel and expenses are all covered. The opportunity for personal development (at least for me) has been great.

Cons

I fear that the company will lose the ability to scale it's communal, family feel as it grows, but the C-level team is working extremely hard to tackle this problem before it becomes one.

Twilio2014-09-01

"Exciting times to be a part of this company"

Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been with Twilio for 3 years now which is the longest I've ever worked for one company. This is because of the growth, development and change that I've been a part of. I joined when we were in the final stages of being a start up and now get to be a part of the next phase. Having worked in more traditional companies previously it's been a great opportunity to work in teams where think outside the box is... encouraged and where the perks and benefits are a deeply held part of the office culture. I've also been given the opportunity to work with teams outside of my core function which has led to building of relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders around the company and led to me being able to make an internal move to a new department.

Cons

As with all companies that go through rapid growth the processes haven't quite caught up with where we are but this is improving every day. It's been a long process to get the US to think globally and sometimes can still feel San Francisco centric but this has also improved no end.

Advice to Management

With the rapid growth phase we're going through definitely continue in the support of a healthy work/life balance (massively improved over the last year). This is especially the case for those of us outside of the US who have done a full day's work when SF comes online and there can sometimes be pressure for responses outside of core working hours.

Twilio2019-07-30

"Can't build Culture with RSUs and stock options"

Current Employee - UI-UX Designer in London, England

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

The money is sweet... it is more than the average anyway Benefits are good...(including stock) Most times you can slack for hours during the day and no one cares...

Cons

There is deffo something wrong here in regards to culture and inclusivity... When I visited HQ in SF for the on-boarding sessions, I was impressed that no one invited me to hang out. It's like you are invisible. Although the office(s) there is huge it is totally sterilised with no vibe or emotion. Probably everyone is busy checking the share price. Other offices are too small to have any character of its... own. If you don't care about culture and values.... you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Try to build some culture. If you can't handle other offices and locations just keep everything in SF.

Twilio2019-05-16

"Great company in general...different story outside HQ"

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great benefits - Great product and technical leadership - Founder and CEO still leading the company

Cons

- HQ is very US-centric; US/APAC meetings, town halls, functional all-hands are always held during US-hours. - Poor regional leadership with a huge lack of transparency. - A lot is publicized about 'culture'. There's no culture or team spirit in APAC... People come to the office, do their work, go home. Huge difference in US and APAC workplace experience. - Communication and collaboration across different... teams/functions are fragmented and largely reactive.

Advice to Management

If APAC is important to the company's growth, a significant amount of work and attention is needed to address some of the problems above.

Twilio2019-12-03

"Generally a good place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture has been amazing and seems to be getting better!

Cons

People are working so fast and so hard, they sometimes forget to slow down and document for the future.

Twilio2019-11-12

"Used to be such a great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great business. Incredible demand and minimal direct competition.

Cons

They work people to death and don't invest in systems or adequate human resources. They just don't care about people anymore. Profits over people is an understatement. Twilio rarely promotes from within, especially women and underrepresented minorities. Pretty much the only way to become a VP is to be hired in as one.

Advice to Management

Think about how valuable your human resources are and how costly it will be to replace them. Go back to being kind and caring human beings.

Twilio2019-11-27
  7. "Fabulous place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home Travel (All expensed) Personal Laptop (MAC pro) Benefits - healthcare,pension,phone,gym Free lunches Free snacks/drinks (Alcohol too) Great people

Cons

Literally can't think of one

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing :)

Twilio2019-11-13

"Used to be Great"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CEO Knows what he's doing, business-wise Support for Remote work (WFH for locals, fully remote for select positions)

Cons

Lots of growth and associated pain Current management has a very top-down mentality, dictating stuff that should be left to teams, treating team members as fungible commodities they can just move around on a chess board Trying to save money by focusing on very junior hires and hiring in places like Estonia and India (moratorium on US hiring). Focus on junior devs means senior devs have to spend all their time... mentoring and aren't able to be Individual Contributors, which is unsatisfying for many and leads to pretty crappy code

Advice to Management

Hire senior people who know how to get stuff done, and then let them decide how to do it

Twilio2019-11-08

"So-So"

Current Employee - Finance Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Cool Culture and genuinely nice colleagues

Cons

Chaotic environment with little objectivity

Advice to Management

Invest in infrastructure and training

Twilio2019-11-11
  10. "Strong Ownership Culture"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is growing like gangbusters and so there is always more fun projects to tackle. If you see a problem and want to attack it, you have a ton of open road ahead fo you.

Cons

A lot of legacy processes made sense when the company was smaller but have not scaled well. The product and process learning curve is still too steep for new employees. Everyone is super supportive but you really gotta go and get your answers.

Advice to Management

Just because something is 'working' today does not mean that it's ideal or that it scales.

Twilio2019-10-24