Twitch Employee Reviews about "great perks"

Updated 15 Jul 2020

3.8
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear (no image)
Emmett Shear
Pros
  • "Great perks and stimulating work if you're in the right department(in 21 reviews)

• "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Still some growing pains from being a growth focused startup to a more mature company(in 13 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "great perks"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A powerful business in painful transition"

Former Contractor - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Twitch for more than a year

Pros

Great perks and stimulating work if you're in the right department. It's easy to rise quickly if you're a star.

Cons

There are still tons of legacy employees who aren't interested in growing the business and are bogging down other departments. The clash between them and Amazon makes it hard to get anywhere fast.

Continue reading

"Great people, horrendous leadership"

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great perks on a dull spread of snacks and complimentary lunches - All of the benefits of working at Amazon while not technically working at Amazon, and getting additional Twitch-specific benefits like unlimited PTO, food, fitness reimbursement, etc - Amazing people get hired here that are truly passionate for the product and the customers and platform

Cons

-Leadership is a clown car, a constant revolving door full of people that don’t understand the product and don’t care about employee morale and work culture. Unfortunately this is a trickle down toxicity problem that starts with the CEO. -Strategic schizophrenia, constantly roadmap and prioritization whiplash, lack of clarity and vision, and reorg after reorg after reorg High turnover, so all those amazing people I mentioned in the pros...they all leave before long

Continue reading

"Don't join for data science"

2.0
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Engineers are well-treated at Twitch. The perks are great; we're a little spoiled, frankly. In-house kitchen with hot food for breakfast/lunch/dinner, stocked mini-kitchens, gaming arcade, broadcasting rooms, Friday happy hour. The work-life balance is *chef's kiss*. The office generally populates by 11 am and people head out at 6. Amazon stock is a handy part of compensation.

Cons

Data scientists (different from analysts) have it the worst here. The interviews are rigorous, demanding knowledge of causal inference, statistics, experimentation, and modeling. If you accept the offer, they plonk you down and make you fix data quality issues and build dashboards for the next few years. It's utterly flabbergasting how much talent is over-hired and simply wasted at Twitch. This culture comes from decisions made by inexperienced management. Twitch is not data-driven in the slightest, as anyone who has worked in other companies will attest. Data science leaders at Twitch get hired from academia and tend to have no industry experience. This has led to several toxic manager-and-skip-level combinations. The career path for data scientists is non-existent, if not outright negative (managers have been demoted). If you pass the hiring bar, you certainly have the talent to get an offer from someplace that takes data science seriously. Run the other way, and don't look back. There is a reason that a dozen data science/analyst/engineer people (out of about 40 to start with) have left in recent months. Things are not getting better here, and opportunities are better elsewhere. For analysts: there are no analyst career paths here, either. There is no L7 analyst at Twitch. But at least they are explicitly matched to the work they are hired to do. Analysts are happier on average.

"Glassdoor Reviews don't do this place justice."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you want to ship software that genuinely changes peoples' lives, Twitch is a great choice. It may sound silly but every week we hear from content creators who have managed to leave behind a job that made them unhappy in order to stream full time for their community. And if you're into it, we get great perks and good Amazon benefits. Comp is competitive, if maybe not out-of-this-world. For some reason, some of our colleagues haven't been kind to Twitch on Glassdoor in the past. I'll just say that I'm happy, and so are all of the people that I work with here. After working for a big pressure-cooker tech company in a past life, I can say Twitch supports an amazingly positive and collaborative environment while still managing to get things done.

Cons

Twitch is trying to do too much, and as a result some teams seem confused as to how their initiatives fit in.

Continue reading

"It's not just fun and games."

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Like so many others, I joined Twitch for Twitch - it's fun, semi-famous people use it, and I love video games, so why not? I've found Twitch is so much more though. It wasn't long before I started to like Twitch for new reasons - intelligent, excited teammates, great technology, and a culture of invention. I've found most people at Twitch to be super helpful and willing to pitch in for one another. I've had several opportunities to raise my hand and suggest something to build, and see it actually get built. I'm paid enough, benefits are solid, great perks like breakfast lunch and dinner in our new office, and work-life balance is pretty good, at least on my team. No complaints.

Cons

Seems some teams get a lot harder than others around TwitchCon, so that could be a downside I guess.

"Cutting edge company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazon RSUs. Company that is entertainment, tech and gaming. Many exciting issues to deal with. Great perks, free meals, free massages, unlimited vacation.

Cons

Unclear future with Amazon. Some co-workers are really immature.

Continue reading

"Twitch is awesome other than the whiny co-workers"

5.0

I have been working at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

We move really quickly here. Our product teams are constantly shipping and are not blocked by management or other product orgs. We are customer-obsessed. Everything we do is to improve our product for the benefit of our customers. We have great perks and benefits. Great location in the center of SF. We get all the benefits of Amazon without the full drag of the Amazon culture (though this is changing). Our leadership is improving - Sara is a great step in the right direction.

Cons

So many whiny, entitled brats work here. It takes a lot of patience to interact with them. We have a lot of people that were here before the acquisition and they are completely checked out.

Continue reading

"Moving in the right direction with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

- high compensation - great perks/benefits - company has a lot of opportunity to grow - learning opportunities - new management

Cons

- some old guard management still around that need to move on - some entitlement among younger employees who don’t realize how good they have it

"Not sure where this company is headed"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Twitch is a known player in the industry- working here is like a little badge you get to flaunt. There are great perks, that's for sure. Unlimited PTO (depending on your manager), catered meals, snacks, gaming rooms, monthly massage slots, gym gets reimbursed, flexible work hours, holiday break, etc. The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance. There are a lot of passionate, smart, and hardworking people at the IC level, reminds you what you're capable of doing every once in awhile- wish those people would get recognition more.

Cons

Leadership is a mess. Many are not in alignment with each other, and their lack of shared vision (which is a company value) trickles down and affects the people actually carrying out daily work. Leaders and those in managerial or positions of power are quick to blame their teams or other teams. Or they don't own up to their lack of management and leadership skills. Goals don't seem to match up between teams, or even within teams, which makes it confusing to get work done. People with lots of experience but no people or team building skills get promoted into management. Poor communication almost everywhere, makes for a really difficult and frustrating work environment. Almost makes me not have fun with gaming anymore because the work environment turns me off. Also, heard employees get away with unprofessional behavior/misconduct. HR and senior management should pay attention to those issues as well- not just productivity and minutes watched or whatever the next KPI is. I don't think the value and image of working at Twitch is worth dealing with the workplace.

"Best job of my life"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Perks are great - Lots of interesting work and projects - Leadership has clear and reasonable goals - Nice work life balance - Coworkers are awesome to work with

Cons

- Grew a bit too fast and made some bad hires - Some conflicting business goals and metrics across teams

Found 21 reviews