Twitch Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 4 Dec 2019

3.8
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear (no image)
Emmett Shear
Pros
  • "Great perks and stimulating work if you're in the right department(in 21 reviews)

• "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Still some growing pains from being a growth focused startup to a more mature company(in 13 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"One of my favorite places to work!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great product that overall has a lot of deeply passionate fans. TwitchCon is a blast - I LOVE my manager, and my manager's manager. Really enjoy working with my team over the past couple years. I have many close friends within the company now - I've learned a ton at the company and I get a lot of flexibility to pursue projects that are important to me (and add value to our team/company of course) - I can easily see it being a company I stick with for a long time (10 years)

Cons

- As with most places, work experience can vary by team - Collaboration within the company is a weak area. Everyone's trying to work hard on this but there have certainly been some growing pains - Compensation is a little too heavily indexed on Amazon Stock. Compensation adjustments due to raises or promotions largely come in stock grants which can take a couple years before you see that money - not the most immediately gratifying thing

"Bleed Purple!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is the most passionate and caring workplace I’ve ever been at. From the CEO down to my manager and the people who sit next to me, everyone shares enthusiasm for Twitch. We hear daily from people whose lives were changed by Twitch giving them a platform to be heard and make a living doing what they care about. There’s little red tape in our way to get things done. Product and engineering teams work well together, customer support and partnerships are highly valued and have a seat at the table. Every team I’ve worked with has actually taken customer feedback seriously and work to improve things. I feel like I can change things that I don’t like. Everyone goes to TwitchCon and this year’s was LIT. It’s not a perfect place of course but I’m proud to work here. Bleed Purple!

Cons

We’ve grown really quickly. I love seeing all the new faces but of course there are some growing pains while we try to figure out how to support this many people working together at once.

"Great product with a massive following, management moving in a good direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The user base is dominant in the space, and growing. Great growth prospects for the company, and for careers among those looking to drive the company forward. Very exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

Still some growing pains from being a growth focused startup to a more mature company. New blood is welcome.

Continue reading
  4. "Great Place to Work*"

4.0
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Lots of flexibility and freedom with how we operate on a day to day. Original CEO Emmett still in charge and provides a level of security from overwhelming Amazon policies.

Cons

Growing pains come with rapid growth, and not everyone is 100% committed to the growth plan in the past few months

Continue reading

"Great Company, Exciting Space"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Exciting space, fast-growing company, lots of opportunities, great culture, great people, great benefits, great company vision, fun atmosphere, overall very positive

Cons

There are growing pains with every high-growth company, but the recent re-org and company vision seems to address these issues

"Growing pains but still a great place to work"

I have been working at Twitch

Pros

Great people Great compensation and great perks (unlimited PTO is important to me) One of the most passionate communities around the product. You tend to forget until you go to TwitchCon.

Cons

Growing pains, Twitch grew a ton over the last couple years. People are learning and adapting.

Continue reading

"Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture, perks, and working with inspired and passionate people. I get to work with some of the most talented people I've ever met who truly care about what they do. Also, I get to play arcade games during my breaks. Can't beat it...

Cons

We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains. It's natural as you mature as a company. While I don't really feel it because of my team's dynamic, there has been a morale dip as of late. I anticipate this will subside soon.

"SDE II"

4.0

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Growing quickly, lots to build

Cons

Expanding really fast, natural growing pains

September 15, 2017Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the feedback! -Michael Schembari, Recruiting Manager

"Not for grown ups"

I worked at Twitch

Pros

Good amenities (meals, snacks, massages). HR, Facilities and IT staff are great and those teams work hard to try to create a good environment for employees. Company has room to grow and better than average chance for future success.

Cons

Standard benefits (health insurance, 401K match, RSU vesting schedule) are really poor. If you come here, negotiate hard on salary, since the benefits package means you could end up taking an inadvertent pay cut. (Personally, I'd rather have decent insurance than free massages.) Standard growing pains of any startup moving into maturity-resistance to structure, middle-school-ish work culture, unseasoned business folks who need a ton of hand-holding. Tough environment for established professionals-daily exercise in frustration.

September 6, 2016

Appreciate the feedback and sorry that you're no longer with Twitch. We're certainly a company that has more growing to do, and I know Emmett and the exec team are working hard to continually help Twitch level up across the board. Wish you luck in your new role, and we will continue to improve here. - thanks, Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

10. "I love working at Twitch"

in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch

Pros

perks, flexibility, challenges, camraderie, fun product

Cons

The company has growing pains, but people are good at what they do, so I'm optimistic

August 22, 2016