Two Sigma "red tape" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Two Sigma Employee Reviews about "red tape"

Updated 25 Sep 2018

4.2
Two Sigma Co-Chairmen David Siegel and John Overdeck (no image)
David Siegel and John Overdeck
Pros
Cons
  • "Growing pains injecting previously unseen layers of bureaucracy into the company(in 11 reviews)

• "Growing pains of small company rapidly growing(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "red tape"

Return to all Reviews

"Still interesting, despite inevitable creeping disease of becoming a large company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Modernizing of technology stack There are some still really great managers who do want you to succeed Flexibility with choosing projects sometimes, flexible hours Gym

Cons

As others have mentioned, bureaucracy and red-tape in addition to heavy dosing of politics Blatant nepotism, especially within the network of former Goldman Sachs employees Engineering middle management emphasizes and rewards the wrong set of behaviors Most senior/high-level positions (and corresponding SVP titles) are given to new hires rather than loyal, long-time employees

Continue reading
    Two Sigma2018-09-26

"Politics, politics, politics...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time

Pros

Pay is good/decent, benefits are amazing. Perks are really good (gym, free food, all the snacks in the kitchen, etc). Lots of smart people walking around that are mostly humble and will answer your questions. Complex environment but you can and probably will learn a lot in a relatively short amount of time.

Cons

The usual corporate bureaucracy and politics. As Two Sigma grows into a medium-sized entity, there are some growing pains. Limited upward mobility depending on your management chain (they essentially shut down a partnering project with a chance for me to transfer to that team). Depending on your engineering area, work/life balance can be bad. Mixed use of proprietary technology and open-source. The proprietary stuff could hurt your marketability. Did I mention all the politics and corporate red tape around everything?

Continue reading
    Two Sigma2018-08-01

"Glad I ended up here!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance - Management doesn't want people to burn out and actively looks out for your working conditions. My manager will regularly tell me to go home when I work past 6:30 and gives me mornings off when I work late fixing a high priority support issue. People/Culture - The people are great! Everyone I've worked with here has been highly competent and easy to work with. There's a huge culture of learning and exploration here. Tons of tech talks and study groups with food catered in year-round. There's also non work-related groups and competitions for just about everything like Poker, Bridge, Magic The Gathering, Basketball, Running etc.. Work - The work itself has been quite fulfilling. I can't speak for how it is on every team, but I've worked on backend, frontend, infrastructure, networking, devops, and mobile for my team. My manager does an excellent job at matching me with projects that I'm currently interested in working on. There's a constant stream of exciting and technically challenging new ideas and features. Career Growth - Two Sigma wants to keep people for the long haul and it's super easy to move around the company. There's a big emphasis on setting work related goals for yourself to help you grow and revisiting them a few times a year to see where you're at.

Cons

There's still some red-tape around getting environmental changes approved. However, over the last year there has been a ton of progress on speeding things up and being more flexible on security concerns as more teams explore different environmental setups. Some of the legacy internal infrastructure is starting to show its age. There's a lot of work being done to modernize it and embrace more open source solutions, but there's still a ways to go. However, teams who are working in the cloud don't really have to worry about this.

Two Sigma2017-01-04
  4. "Great place to work"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time

Pros

really smart people that want to write great software and solve really hard problems

Cons

getting a little bigger now and along with size comes red tape

Two Sigma2012-06-03

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 4 reviews