Tyco Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Tyco Reviews

Updated 9 Dec 2019

Tyco CEO George R. Oliver
George R. Oliver
Pros
  • "Good pay, good benefits, lots of good training for career advancement(in 52 reviews)

• "Great Benefits and with company cars and cell phones, 401k's etc(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • "Micro managing by supervisors and upper management, did not listen to employee concerns, watched GPS on vehicles and mobile devices too closely(in 43 reviews)

• "Dirty tactics by senior management(in 22 reviews)

1. "Admin"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great career development opportunities and a genuinely nice place to work.

Cons

Lots of change !! A culture of uncertainty and disengagement.

Advice to Management

Restructuring as much as you are is making employees feel vulnerable and dis- engaged. You are loosing vital knowledge and experience.

Tyco2015-09-09
  2. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Selling a global leading brand

Cons

Sales vs Ops culture is damaging

Advice to Management

talent retention does not seem to be high on the agenda

Tyco2019-08-08
  3. "ADT Residential Security Consultant"

Former Employee - Residential Security Consultant in Manchester, England

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Commission can be great if you go over target and are a managers favourite and get lots of appointments.

Cons

Awful working hours. Expected to be out on the road for 10 am and you don’t get home till 9.30pm. Basic salary is less than minimum wage when you take into account the hours worked. Managers have favourites and the appointment spread isn’t fair. You only get commission if you do 90%+ of your target meaning if you have an off month you work for less than minimum wage generally doing 60+ hours a week. Basic salary is... £16400. You would earn more flipping burgers in McDonalds. Mobile phones are from the 90s! There’s no work life balance at all. They expect you to leave your diary open and work 7 days a week. Appointments are given to those who will work weekends , if you’re not willing to be put all hours then your appointment quota will be cut. High staff turnover due to hours and commission hurdle.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff better and try think about how you balance work life balance a bit better. You don’t expect the other channels to work like dogs. Also scrap the commission hurdle , it’s disgusting we got absolutely nothing if we do less than 90% of target. We have still worked hard and done more than 60 hours a week. It’s disgusting we get only basic pay if we miss by 1 sale. We still have bills to pay and... trying to survive on low wages isn’t easy. Have managers that can actually do what they’re asking us to do.

Tyco2019-06-12
  4. "Marketing"

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting industry. Benefits are decent, 25 days holiday with the flexibility to purchase another 5.

Cons

No clear direction and constant changes of managers make it difficult to get any kind of pace going. No clear policy on flexible working, meaning flexible working is very much the decision of your manager. And as managers change frequently it is not a given!

Advice to Management

Constant changes of management make it difficult to progress plans. With frequent waves of redundancies or constant talks of restructuring the morale is often very low, leading to poor productivity.

Tyco2019-05-04
  5. "BDM"

Former Employee - BDM

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company benefits - good basic salary - good product set

Cons

You’re just a number mentality. Huge organisation with people hiding from responsibilities (especially management). The whole company is governed by monthly revenue and do not care for employees wellbeing whatsoever.

Advice to Management

A BDM should be targeted on activity and not revenue in year 1. Revenue will come if activity is to the correct type contacts and that you can demonstrate 5days a week proactive activity. Unfortunately senior management doesn’t understand and I watched several good BDM’s being swept under the carpet and finished due to management taking the easy option rather than backing their team.

Tyco2019-03-24
  6. "Easy going but no progression"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunbury, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easygoing environment. Flexibility with hours - I used to start an hour earlier and be able to leave an hour earlier. Some great personable managers.

Cons

No progression. No recognition. No team spirit. Building was in shocking condition with damp and a putrid smell that had a detrimental affect on my breathing. The good managers were always too busy sorting out the mess projected on us from the higher-ups, to affect any meaningful, positive changes to working conditions. Woefully understaffed in some areas of the business where the generous nature of others was... exploited to make up for the lack of cover.

Advice to Management

Sort out that dank, smelly building!!

Tyco2019-01-19
  7. "HR Business Partner"

I worked at Tyco full-time

Pros

The company was resource rich and there was always someone around willing to help out.

Cons

As with all US companies it seemed to take a long time to get things signed off and all initiatives were very US centric rather than looking at the individual needs and customs of all regions. One size does not always fit all!!!

Tyco2018-09-19
  8. "NIce company to work in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

its a huge global organization

Cons

Managers are unprofessional. Very slow to get the stuffs done.

Tyco2018-07-02

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, England

I worked at Tyco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Absolutely none. Don’t waste your time.

Cons

The most toxic working environment I have ever experienced. Management mentality is a throw back to the 70’s, outdated and not fit for purpose. If I could give Tyco a zero star rating I would.

Advice to Management

Wipe the board and start again

Tyco2018-07-15

"Good Company To Work For"

I worked at Tyco full-time

Pros

Reasonable, Brand Leader, Budget Stringent but Realistic, Enjoyable culture, Recognition for Performance, Reasonable spans of controls for teams, tools to perform your role

Cons

Very Segregated Field Operation for UK.. Should focus on more collaboration nationally to share best practice

Advice to Management

Move away from the "American" way of the parent organisation, and modernise to rest of the field operations industry in UK

Tyco2017-09-05