UDR Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
UDR President & CEO Thomas W. Toomey
Thomas W. Toomey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The opportunity for growth is one of the biggest reasons I stayed around" (in 12 reviews)

• "Good pay, good benefits, supportive environment, lots of room to learn and grow" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Absolute WORST upper management I've ever dealt with and no employee appreciation that really matters" (in 16 reviews)

• "Work/life balance could improve" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Leasing Consultant Orange County"

Pros

If you love sales and real estate, you should work here!!
    UDR has a great portfolio- both urban and suburban communities. They have an attitude to be the best.
    The company is innovative with technology and revenue growth.
    High expectations and beautiful communities.
    Great amount of resources.
    Opportunities within the company.
    They seem to acknowledge hard working associates.
    Pay is good- some reviews state the commission structure changed which is true. However, since the roll out of 1 month furnished leases this makes sense. You can still make 60K and this does not require sophisticated education/training.
    Housing discount is great.
    I’ve worked with some hard working great teams.

Cons

I can’t think of a major con- I love working for UDR.
    My only negative remark will be the parking charge for first vehicles at communities. I understand the top line growth this has given the company, but it also turns many prospects away immediately and is sometimes difficult to combat. However, it doesn’t seem to matter that much since we stay leasing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. One of my major complaints was the lack of clarity and amount of hoops we had to jump through to get solid pricing on furnished housing- so I love the fact that it has been rolled out.

2. "Great Experience - Cooperative & Encouraging"

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience working with a small satellite team - real mentors that care about their employees and show it. Open communication between all departments - great admins that help get the job done across the board.

Cons

Eb & flow of work can be unpredictable.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "It's a great place to learn"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission structure, hourly wage, and spiff opportunities are higher than industry average for Leasing Consultants. If you're money motivated, it's a great fit. It's a publicly traded, multi-billion dollar company so the resources are there to help you thrive and keep you motivated. They do have district wide events. Christmas parties, company picnics, etc etc. So you get to interact with a lot of people in the company. They also have some decent benefits, vacation, etc. You'll gain a lot of knowledge regarding operations of property management. Definitely opened the door to my future.

Cons

Weekend work can be a little harsh. Also, some properties require the leasing consultant to also act as a concierge, so the customer service factor might be overwhelming at times. People that live in an apartment complex can be a little demanding especially in the Washington, DC area so it can be a bit frustrating.

Advice to Management

PLEASE hire a full time concierge during the day for some of your larger communities. It'll take the burden off of your front line. Also, please ensure that Community Directors know what the lease says.

"Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None,they lied about the company!Many lawsuit's against them!

Cons

Worst company I've ever worked for! They charge residents for everything, over work their employees, and act like they're doing you a favor!

Advice to Management

The people who keep the resident there deserve the bonuses,not the out of touch wenches that run the management.

"Micromanaging to the max"

Former Employee - Concierge
    Former Employee - Concierge

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee housing discount, fabulous portfolio with amazing properties, employee events.

Cons

The management at this company is a nightmare! He said, she said. Constant lies and degrading. Absolutely zero training, almost no holidays off to spend with your family. I was picked apart every day by my mangers about my body figure. I couldn’t get away from this company quick enough!

UDR Response

7 Dec 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Please contact UDR Human Resources department if you would like to discuss in detail at 720-348-7650

6. "UDR is a Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Director in Highlands Ranch, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Highlands Ranch, CO (US)

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, supportive environment, lots of room to learn and grow.

Cons

Location of the home office.

7. "Area service manager"

Former Employee - Area Service Manager in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Area Service Manager in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at UDR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great leaders here that really work with you on things

Cons

None at all that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and in the end udr will beat its peers

"Growth opportunities lacking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO (US)

I worked at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative culture, Environment provides hands on learning experience

Cons

Lack of growth, High turnover, Inexperienced management, Favoritism, Upper management disconnected from day-to-day onsite happenings, Lack of training, Lack of transparency with employees and residents

Advice to Management

Build your foundation of employees by implementing training and allow for them to grow with the company by backfilling vacant positions from within and offering opportunities for growth for current employees. Don't wait for an employee to give notice to express how much they mean to the company to get them to stay.

9. "Don’t recommend"

Former Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Highlands Ranch, CO (US)
    Former Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Highlands Ranch, CO (US)

I worked at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, decent time off

Cons

Poor management, high turnover, no upward growth

UDR Response

19 Oct 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are happy you felt the people at UDR are friendly and you liked our time off benefits. However, it is concerning to hear you saw no growth potential... More

10. "Leasing Consultant"

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UDR values their employees. They find ways to remind everyone that their work is valued and it never goes unnoticed. Also, they’re a large company so relocation is always a possibility if you’re looking for growth within sales/property management.

Cons

The only con I had was with the property I was placed at. The training was out of the norm. You have many people telling you different things and somewhat creating rules as they went by, more so what they found accommodating to them rather than the actual UDR office policy and procedures.

Advice to Management

Create an understand of all policies and procedures to adhere to by all. If one is unsure about a regulation, rather than going by what you think, create a ln opportunity for discussion so everyone is on the same page.