UHY Hacker Young Reviews

Updated 8 Feb 2020

3.6
UHY Hacker Young Chairman  Jon Warsop  (no image)
Jon Warsop

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Management in Letchworth Garden City, England

I have been working at UHY Hacker Young full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working - absolutely great as I can do the school run without being late. Also means I can take an afternoon or morning off to go to appointments or a sports day. Working environment is good and the people I work with are great. The partners are supportive and there are some great opportunities for progression. I really enjoy working at UHY.

Cons

It is a dynamic accountancy practice and sometimes we are very busy and occasionally I need to work late - but having said this the amount of overtime I do is limited.

2. "No major problems"

I have been working at UHY Hacker Young full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent place to work, friendly people, study support

Cons

Lack of clear progression path, could end up doing he same thing for a while

3. "A mixture"

Current Employee - Tax Senior

I have been working at UHY Hacker Young full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and atmosphere, can make good job progression at times, general flexibility

Cons

Not sure how they do on salary, career progression, leading up to management

4. "Generally good - areas for improvement though"

Former Employee - Senior in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at UHY Hacker Young full-time for more than a year

Pros

All the partners are really nice, great to work with. Pay is good, competitive. Management generally good to work for, nice people. Decent variety of clients. Good social activities. Trainees/qualifieds are great.

Cons

Promotions and opportunities for development seemed quite political. Also not much commercial logic to promotions - seemingly they are based on those who prioritise compliance over commercial factors. Some staff you work with don't pull their weight and are allowed to get away with not doing so. Too much carrot, not enough stick...Other staff made to work excessive hours to make up for failings of rubbish clients.

"Accountant"

1.0
    Former Employee - Trainee Accountant in Birmingham, England

I worked at UHY Hacker Young full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing about the Birmingham office of uhy hacker young is positive.

Cons

Long hours , expect you to work from 9 in morning to 6-7 at night everyday and try to make you work weekends too. No training at all you are just expected to get on with the work thrown at you. Managers are horrible towards trainees, Glenn Thomas is very nasty and belittling towards trainees and does not help them at all. He only speaks to them when he shouts across the room for them to make him a drink. He also ridicules other partners and employees behind there backs to everyone in the office. Glenn made it an extremely toxic working environment.

Continue reading
  6. "Low Pay, long hours and no appreciation for your effort, undermining managers"

1.0
    Former Employee - Audit Junior in Letchworth, England

I worked at UHY Hacker Young full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not alot, don't even get parking. Flexible working to a certain degree. Expenses for travel

Cons

I worked here for 9 months and it was honestly the worst environment. Try to push you too fast through first 6 exams unnecessarily. Will threaten you regularly about cancelling your probation contract. Probation periods will be extended for as long as they want so there is definitely no job security until you do 6 exams. Do not be fooled by a claim of regular performance reviews. Your salary will go up by £500 every 6 months. A pretty pathetic increase really. Zero appreciation for work juniors do. Depends on the audit seniors you work for how much you learn and progress. They will move your job from one office to the next with 1 weeks notice. My job was moved from Letchworth to Cambridge with just 1 week's notice. Expect to be held accountable for every minute you send on a particular task by your senior. The only aim for managers is to keep budgets low, training and helping staff is second to that. Manager's often lie in their communications with clients. Claiming they have planned audits well and saying that all the staff that will be attending are fine with working in that environment when in reality they have not consulted anyone. There is no accountability for audit managers or monitoring of how they exactly support juniors or seniors.

7. "Improvement Needed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at UHY Hacker Young full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people make it easier to go in everyday They have great plans for future, and if all comes to fruition then it will be amazing Great company to work at for a few years, until something else comes along!

Cons

A lot of the partners and managers look out for themselves Salaries are shocking compared to other firms in London Obvious who favourites are within the firm, if your not a favourite you never will be Office facilities are shocking, and out dated, needs a major revamp.

Continue reading
  8. "Good firm good culture"

I worked at UHY Hacker Young full-time

Pros

fair work/life balance nice management and friendly people

Cons

would have liked more diverse and larger clients

9. "A great core but a few kinks to iron out"

Current Employee - Senior in London, England

I have been working at UHY Hacker Young full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some great people here at UHY. Treated like professionals to get on with the job rather than school children who are mistrusted (like other accountancy firms I have worked in). Jon Warsop is a good guy to have at the helm. A very positive place to be.

Cons

It's a traditional firm finding its way in a new age, some partners are onboard with future-proofing the business, others not so. The pace could speed up somewhat. Minimum holiday is not great (although the Christmas break helps) and no sick pay in probation is bizarre.

10. "Great training frim"

I worked at UHY Hacker Young full-time

Pros

Offers great training for a variety of qualifications, and allows you to have responsibility, even from day one as a trainee

Cons

The office could do with an update

Found 31 reviews