UNC Health Care Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
UNC Health Care CEO William Roper
William Roper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great boss, great co-workers, great benefits" (in 28 reviews)

• "Very good benefits, including tuition assistance for full-time employees" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Parking is awful - you have to ride the bus from a Park and Ride, which you have to pay for" (in 10 reviews)

• "The work/life balance is difficult as a shift working nurse" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Neonatal ICU"

Current Employee - Clinical Nurse II
    Current Employee - Clinical Nurse II

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Differential, benefits, free parking overnight and weekends for employees

Cons

Parking on the weekdays, must park and drive for AM M-F shifts

"Office Medical Assistant"

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time

Pros

UNC Healthcare is uniting more each day with other medical facilities to better help the patients of these communities.

Cons

Need to be able to discuss with person/persons who is managing the software program regarding changes that will help employees to be more efficient in the care of patients.

Advice to Management

Give the employees, that has more hands on with the patients and with the documenting of patient’s information, more of your time to understand and correct any issues to better the whole system of patient care.

"Wakebrook"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can honestly say out of the multiple hospitals I have worked this facility is the best. Great benefits, great staff, great employee perks, scheduling is great. Management consistently pushes to better themselves and move up the clinical ladder. Immediately pays for 3 state classes a local colleges and after a year will pay for any degree with 6 month required stay after graduation.

Cons

No downside unless you like drama then it can be a con for you. If you come to work do your job you are golden.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing.

4. "Learning experience"

Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant
    Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant

I worked at UNC Health Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

health insurance, PTO, and vision insurance

Cons

not welcoming of new hires

Advice to Management

communicate with employees when mistakes are made

"It’s ok"

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organization has good reputation, clinical staff making a difference in people’s lives, physicians and clinical staff do outstanding work and it makes you feel good to tell others where you work because of what they do. Good work life balance. Not at all stressful.

Cons

Outside of the clinical side, it feels sort of a mess. Some departments are run by people who have no idea what they’re doing but they know the right people so they keep getting ahead. They don’t want to listen to people who do know what they are doing either. Managers are so busy talking about their department’s “worth” that they aren’t taking the time to show it. Collaboration (between departments) feels more like pushing undesirable tasks on others while hogging credit for things you didn’t actually do. My biggest pet peeve though is that it’s common knowledge that if you aren’t a director, you aren’t worth listening to. HR encourages pushing gripes to directors if you want anyone to actually pay attention. I find this quite disturbing and is a really poor message to send to employees. Essentially you aren’t important unless you have a director title. State employees get lots of PTO but recently most new hires are brought on through non state systems and the PTO is a joke compared to state employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you treat each other.

"Pretty Good Place To Be A Nurse"

Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great shift differential, state of the art equipment, professional coworkers, supportive culture. Definitely the best of the area hospitals to work in I think.

Cons

Pay rate much lower than in other states, no tuition reimbursement, 3 year vesting period on 401K, very lame nurse residency program. Rotating shifts.

"Great teaching hospital"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and contribute as a member of a health team, State benefits are great if you are looking to stay long term , although there has been a cut in recent years. The PTO is best I have seen

Cons

Salaries tend t be on lower end of spectrum as well as pay raises.

Advice to Management

Thank you for keeping health insurance low by of setting costs. Please stop practices which are punitive for short term illnesses and bring sarlaries up for those of us that are long time employees.

8. "Wellness Center Attendant"

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time

Pros

Paid Time Off, Coworkers, Flexible Schedule

Cons

There are no cons

"MOA Primary Care Kenly"

Former Employee - Moa in Kenly, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Moa in Kenly, NC (US)

I worked at UNC Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the PA at this clinic was a great experience

Cons

The management is young and likes to use her "management status" by demanding respect when she doesn't deserve it. Management is hired by who you know not by their qualifications. Management plays favorites - if management doesn't like you or is intimidated by you because you do your job and do not need them, they will find a way to get rid of you.

Advice to Management

I worked at this clinic for over a year. I pretty much ran this clinic by myself - no one ever came out to this clinic - it was considered the "red headed step child." I did my job and I did my job well. The patients loved me. Management hired this one manager that actually came in and was able to get some updates done at the clinic - something no one else had ever even bothered to do. She at least cared about that clinic, but management ran her off cause she told it like it was. Then they hired a young friend of one of the other managers to be the manager. Me, the PA and the CMA had NEVER had ANY issues there UNTIL she came along. Within 4 months of her being over that clinic, she brings in someone that doesn't really know what she is doing and it causes all sorts of problems. The CMA ends up getting written up because of this person. The manager is intimidated by me because I have ran the clinic for so long by myself and the patients love me and I know what I am doing and really do not need any help, that she considers this disrespect and writes me up for it. I requested a meeting with HR and was denied this meeting. After a patient threatened me and management did not do anything about it, I chose to turn in my notice at which point I requested an exit interview with HR and was IGNORED by HR on the subject. I honestly have to say that I loved my job at this clinic before she came along and brought in the other CMA that was supposed to be there to "help" me. She came in acting like she cared for us and she was going to help get me a raise since I had been running the clinic and doing the job by myself that the other clinics had four to five people doing and had experience but that never happened. I loved working with the PA and her CMA here at the clinic - we were a great team. I loved and cared for my patients and they knew that I did. But the new manager told me that I was not supposed to care for them and I got in trouble for taking care of a patient that was sitting on the steps outside waiting for JCATS that told me she did not feel good. When you can no longer care for your patients, you know it is time to go.

If you are thinking about coming to work for UNCPN just know that management plays favorites and if you aren't one of them trust me you will know it. The communication within UNCPN is horrible and had been for the two years that I was with the company. You may have great PAs and CMAs and doctors and yall might have a great connection but management can and will ruin that for you. Make sure it is something you really want before you come to work there.

10. "RN"

I have been working at UNC Health Care full-time

Pros

Great benefits, learning experiences, and great people

Cons

Facilities are run down and many rooms small