URS Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

URS Corporation Reviews

Updated 7 Nov 2019

3.4
URS Corporation CEO Michael S. Burke (no image)
Michael S. Burke
Pros
  • "good people , good pay , very safety minded(in 40 reviews)

• "Good benefits and decent staff and management(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unfortunately absorbed by AECOM(in 31 reviews)

• "Upper management is very focused on how billable you are, not good with communicating new processes(in 31 reviews)

1. "Project diversity within sustainability field"

Former Employee - Environmental Consultant in Basingstoke, England

I worked at URS Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting and varied projects with new disciplines being developed in the sustainability field; very reasonable salary for environmental sector; opportunities for career progression; flexible working gaining momentum

Cons

Lack of rotations during graduate programme (nb Scott Wilson ltd at that time); increasing administrative burden on technical staff as functional staff reduced; lack of emphasis on technical training

Advice to Management

Greater attention to (particularly junior) staff wishes in terms of subject area. Healthier balance between time control pressure and project realities.

URS Corporation2015-07-07
  2. "Decent place to work for"

I worked at URS Corporation full-time

Pros

Some interesting work and projects Nice colleagues

Cons

Timesheets and pressure to charge time to billable projects Lack of opportunity to develop

URS Corporation2018-05-06
  3. "Has good opportunities for junior staff"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in London, England

I worked at URS Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good support from colleagues. Excellent support/training for professional development. Usually friendly environment. Opportunities to work overseas for internationally minded people.

Cons

Inept / unqualified senior staff with tales of bullying, lacking work ethic in simple communication with junior staff.

URS Corporation2015-03-17
  4. "Good Placement"

Former Employee - Student Civil Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at URS Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good office atmosphere, flexible working. Big projects, interesting site visits.

Cons

As a summer student I often had to keep asking for work.

Advice to Management

Make sure there's a role for summer students before taking them on.

URS Corporation2014-12-02

"Positive Anand fast paced company in London, slower in Bitmingham office, but still lovely management and highly driven and qualifies colleagues."

I worked at URS Corporation

Pros

The benefits are great and there's flexible working hours if you have a good line manager, which was usually the case wherever you worked. Lots of departments so could complete a whole project in house.

Cons

Glass ceiling for women perhaps somewhat as in all engineering companies. But this is slowly breaking down and there were some very high achieving women in the upper ranks. So it wasn't impossible aa long as you worked twice as hard as your male counterparts ;)

Advice to Management

Upper management were fairly good but needed to perhaps break some of the barriers for women who were struggling to progress in the organisation due to subtle discrimination.

URS Corporation2014-11-21
  6. "URS - Graduate Project Manager."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Job security is quite safe with a continuous workload coming in at a time when the economy is weak, this could be different in a smaller company. It was easier to settle here within such as large office as there is often some type of socializing going on.

Cons

Continuous professional development is little to non existent. My line manager teaches me very little and often weeks will go by where all I do i print, scan, and other admin work.

Advice to Management

Train your graduates otherwise how can we will ever learn.

URS Corporation2014-11-27
  7. "OK"

I worked at URS Corporation

Pros

Decent company to work for

Cons

Salaries are below market rates

URS Corporation2014-11-13
  8. "Managed by Accountants than Engineers"

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Few good projects derived from Legacy companies like Scott Wilson, DGP. Stability in difficult market. Values Clients

Cons

Huge Politics internally to keep 'pet' people as frontrunner. Low increments. Managed by Accountants not Engineers. Even PM course is more related to accountancy. Treat Staff like milking cow. No efforts to develop social fabric within company

Advice to Management

UK Management should learn some US Management techniques and bring diversity in management. 99% dominated by white British, predominantly male.

URS Corporation2014-10-17

"Belligerent and clueless senior management."

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

I worked at URS Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Peer work force is friendly.

Cons

Utter chaos from day one due to swathes of leavers. Naturally you get passed all the projects that were left behind with budgets rinsed. You're instantly under fire line from both clients and managers. Dept leader takes no responsibility for for anything. You agree to the position, then you get your (vague and yet biblical) job description. Then you get a surprise review telling you you're in jeopardy. Unforgivable... treatment from senior management employing HR to chaperone them as they censure you (whilst flirting with each other). Despite flagging your concerns with all parties HR sit and nod as you get punished for trying to do your job and win back some credibility with clients. Then there's the soul destroying and infinitely time consuming bureaucracy. Having spent ten years in consultancy, working here for one convinced me to try something else. I'm so glad that I did. In short I wouldn't recommend them. YMMV. Hopefully Aecom will make the necessary changes. It couldn't get any worse.

URS Corporation2014-10-21

"Great projects, little progression"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in London, England

I worked at URS Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to some very interesting, high profile projects and international opportunities. Good network of global professions. Given key responsibilities if you are good at what you do.

Cons

Pay is sub-par. Little progression if they want to keep you doing only what they think you are good at. You could hold a key role in a project, highly regarded by external client but still earn little after years. Moving around internally could be lot harder than it sounds.

Advice to Management

Recognise your staff with real rewards and progressions in career!!

URS Corporation2014-08-18