US Naval Research Laboratory Computer Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 4 reviews

4.0
US Naval Research Laboratory CEO Scott D Moran
Scott D Moran
  1. "Great research, low pay for a PhD, slow work environment"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not only does groundbreaking research happen at NRL but it also gets transitioned to real-world systems. You can be a part of the entire cycle from basic to applied research and then eventually to transition. The work-life balance is amazing and it's a very low-stress environment.

Cons

The pay for a PhD in an equivalent field (for me) is almost twice as much in the private sector. Upward mobility is nearly non-existant. Things often move at an extremely slow pace.

US Naval Research Laboratory2016-01-24
  2. "NRL Pathways Employee"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Bay Saint Louis, MS

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

These guys have helped me to the max in my coursework and dissertation. I get to work on interesting things and have a great work environment.

Cons

You have to give up some privacy to work for the military.

US Naval Research Laboratory2013-08-30
  3. "Government Dysfunction Casts Shadow"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Stennis Space Center, MS

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

NRL has a relaxed work atmosphere where you can really make your own success. As a research lab, you can work on your own research projects to guarantee your position is something interesting. Employees are personable, knowledgable, and tend to work together without much issue. Health and retirement benefits are pretty top-notch (5% match for IRA-alike along with a pension!)

Cons

As a governmental research lab, NRL is subject to all of the dysfunciton gripping our current political system. Furloughs have already been forced due to sequestration and a potential government shutdown looms in the future. Further, automatic pay increases have been suspended for years, leading to NRL salaries lagging further and further behind private sector positions.

US Naval Research Laboratory2013-08-20
  4. "Great learning opportunity, funding issues"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to learn and grow in your field of research. Plenty of opportunities for training. Direct supervisors provide lots of freedom for you to figure out what type of research you want to pursue.

Cons

Current political climate is making it difficult to keep current funding or pursue new funding. Too much micro-management by upper management. Transition paths for science and technology remains broken in the government.

US Naval Research Laboratory2013-02-28