US Naval Research Laboratory Postdoctoral Fellow Reviews

1 Rating
  1. "Stepping stone"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The laboratory was (as of 2018) a decent place to gain additional experience prior to starting a career. Decent post-doc pay

Cons

Facilities are crumbling; projects are slow; funding is insecure.

2. "Excellent Postdoc Opportunity"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment for developing your research skills and networking for better jobs after your postdoc is complete

Cons

The government is a painfully slow entity to work with. It can take several months to get any research equipment ordered.

Continue reading

3. "Great research institution"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a premier research environment.

Cons

There is too much security screening

4. "Great Post Doc Opportunity"

Current Contractor - NRC Postdoctoral Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory for more than a year

Pros

Lots of excellent equipment and instruments, knowledgeable co-workers, friendly environment. Opens doors to other government jobs: DoE, DoD, DARPA, DTRA, etc.

Cons

Security clearance and IT staff can make it difficult to get up and running quickly (but it's understandable). Difficult to install any foreign software - must have IT approval. Sometimes there isn't any substitute for these types of programs and can slow down progress.

5. "Post-Doc"

4.0
    Postdoctoral Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory for less than a year

Pros

Great place for connections and a lot of very smart, knowledgeable personnel; a good place to start a career in scientific research.

Cons

Depending upon your division, the facilities may be out-dated. Purchasing is a problem; it takes a long-time for orders to be fulfilled.

Continue reading

"Terrible advising for postdocs"

1.0
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good facilities for some fields (nanotechnology). Great pay for postdocs, when compared to universities.

Cons

Terrible facilities for other fields (combustion). I keep asking for an exhaust system to be installed so I wouldn’t poison myself, but nothing ever happened. It’s very clear that the decision makers don’t care about employee morale, otherwise the facilities wouldn’t be so old, and things like bike racks wouldn’t be so difficult to come by. Advising can be a real crapshoot. Federal employees have to take on postdocs for the same reasons professors have to take on grad students, to help pay the bills. But the federal employees don’t have a tenure equivalent to work toward after which things slow down. Instead they have to play a game of cycling postdocs in and out to keep bringing in money. NRL also makes the federal employees compete against each other for internal funding (where most of the money comes from), so having postdocs that can spend that money is very important for the federal employees. Worst of all, any federal employee can be an advisor to a postdoc as long as they’ve had their Ph.D. for a number of years (5, I think). There is no check on whether that advisor can actually be a good advisor. Incompetence is common. When a postdoc is brought on with the promise of funding, there is no guarantee that funding will remain for the tenure of the postdoc. I found myself being required to do research that was nothing like the project I was promised when I applied, with an advisor that didn’t care about the project. Advisors can also promise funding and then never deliver. HR won’t hold them accountable because postdocs aren’t employees. Finally, postdocs are frequently lured to NRL with the promise of a federal position in the future. This is nowhere near as common as it appears. Almost all the feds were formerly postdocs, but there is a much higher percent of people who were postdocs at NRL that were not hired on as federal employees.

"Interesting research"

4.0
    Postdoctoral Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory

Pros

Great opportunities and exciting research.

Cons

Soft money and very directed research.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews