US Naval Research Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 90 reviews

3.9
US Naval Research Laboratory CEO Scott D Moran
Scott D Moran
Pros
  • "NRL takes a lot of NREIP interns so there will probably be other interns to chill with(in 14 reviews)

• "there is a great work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "NRL in DC is right by the sewage treatment plant, so some days it smells when you are outside(in 15 reviews)

• "Somewhat bureaucratic, lots of red tape but that's expected(in 8 reviews)

1. "Stable work but not family friendly"

Former Employee - Research Physical Scientist in Washington, DC

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work is very stable and it's easy to make a career here. It's not uncommon to meet scientists who have been working on the same research for 30+ years. A lot of scientists here are from ivy league schools with impressive pedigrees and dozens of publications in top tier journals. My coworkers and Section Head were fantastic and I loved being surrounded by intelligent people. Despite the dilapidated buildings, there...

Cons

With all the good said, I have to focus on the fact that I don't find the NRL to be family friendly at all. There is no parental leave, child care through JBAB has a 2+ year waiting list, and while schedules are largely flexible, my Division Head looked at me like I had two heads when I told him I have to leave by 3 to pick up my daughter from the bus stop. Many people here don't even have families and, as a result,...

Advice to Management

Get with the times. If you're going to attract new graduates to your outdated facility the buildings all need to be renovated and you need to offer things like shuttles to and from the metro, a decent coffee place, paid parental leave, and in-building community gathering places/lounges so we don't have to walk outside in heavy rain to get to an empty building with 1 table and 4 chairs just to eat lunch.

US Naval Research Laboratory2019-06-14
  2. "This place is a relic"

Current Employee - Physical Scientist in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Truly ground breaking science happening here. Good benefits, history of success.

Cons

At least in the chemistry division, things are very stressful. There is no internal funding so half your research time will be used begging for money. The grounds and buildings are basically antiques. A lot of people get "stuck" here.

Advice to Management

Please do some renovations. It's hard to get work done when the HVAC system goes down weekly and using an instrument can trigger a breaker and cut off power to a quarter of the floor.

US Naval Research Laboratory2019-05-24

"Great research opportunities"

Current Employee - Research Physicist in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Freedom to pursue areas of interest and the opportunity to take advantage of internal funding as well as ties to other DOD funding agencies. Cooperation among different research groups is usually encouraged. For the most part, the employment is stable and cut throat competition is not the norm. The support personnel are helpful and hard working and realize that their primary goal is to enable and support the scientific...

Cons

Although better than most DOD labs, there are still many counterproductive rules - computer security is increasingly intruding into ability to carry out research. There is subtle agism and favoritism in some advancement decisions - group managers are powerless to provide financial incentives. Since all promotions are tied to levels of management, one is stuck with the very poor personnel skills one would expect from...

Advice to Management

Read my review

US Naval Research Laboratory2019-04-18
  4. "NRL Review"

Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People, Flexibility of Hours, Guarded entrance

Cons

No growth opportunities unless you know who's who. Unless you are a researcher pay is not good.

Advice to Management

There is great talent in those who want to excel.

US Naval Research Laboratory2019-03-05
  5. "Great Benefits Hit a growth ceiling after 3 or so years."

Current Employee - Electronics Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits, Flexible hours, good pace of work.

Cons

Horendous Security/Base Caused Traffic Kind of boring, people keep to themselves and not alot of collaboration within the org.

US Naval Research Laboratory2019-02-28
  6. "Great environmnet"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large variety of projects to work on Opportunities to work with different divisions Helpful and responsive HR Access to plenty of top-of-the-line engineering resources like Solidworks

Cons

Down-time in between projects can make work dull Some buildings are old and have HVAC issues The drive is long if you don't live in or right next to DC

US Naval Research Laboratory2019-01-31
  7. "good job"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Washington, DC

Pros

the scientific projects are exceptional. there is a great work-life balance

Cons

the facilities are in poor shape and govt restrictions hamper morale

Advice to Management

invest in infrastructure

US Naval Research Laboratory2019-01-29
  8. "High skilled place of work"

Former Employee - Computer Software Engineer, Applications in Washington, DC

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good, steady good with lots of interesting, cutting edge research happened on the base. Comptuers and networks are always kept up to date

Cons

With many gov work, pace can be slow and there are pockets of busy and boring months when nothing much happens.

Advice to Management

Keep employees engaged more often and find new and different ways to spice up the job when things get slow.

US Naval Research Laboratory2019-01-20
  9. "A great start for a Computer Scientist"

Current Employee - Student Trainee in Monterey, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory part-time for less than a year

Pros

Variety of Work Helpful Supervisors Relaxing environment

Cons

Too Slow a Pace Opportunities for Advancement scarce as Computer Scientist Very low pay

US Naval Research Laboratory2019-01-10
  10. "Good place to work"

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory

Pros

Good lab facility to do scientific research

Cons

No 401 K for postdoc

US Naval Research Laboratory2018-11-25