US Naval Research Laboratory Reviews

Updated 15 Sep 2020

3.9
US Naval Research Laboratory Commanding Officer Scott D Moran
Scott D Moran
Pros
  • "At NRL you have great access to resources and mentors(in 16 reviews)

• "there is a great work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "That brings me to some of the trouble with the division model at NRL(in 17 reviews)

• "Somewhat bureaucratic, lots of red tape but that's expected(in 8 reviews)

1. "Room for improvement"

2.0
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Room for various training opportunities

Cons

Management should offer more competitive salaries

2. "Excellent Experience, Subpar Pay"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are tons of perks that come with working for a lab funded by the DoD. Lab employees get lots of exciting projects and almost complete freedom over the work they do, so long as it makes progress towards something productive. Each division is different, so your mileage may vary, but I found the work I was doing to be engaging and exciting, and it was all challenging but doable, as an internship should be. With very few exceptions (see Cons), my manager is quick to help and stays engaged with me as an intern, and I can usually get good help from other more experienced engineers when I need it. Something I really enjoy, but may be a con to others, is the variety in my work. Any given day could be completely different from the one before, as new problems or even entirely new projects pop up frequently. Additionally, the name is reputable and it provides amazing talking points for interviews or career fairs.

Cons

The specific area I work in is full of great people doing exciting work, but they are usually pretty spread out. In a given day I may only even interact with 1 or 2 people, which gets a bit lonely. Also, there have been some times when a project stalls, and everyone is so busy that I have been stuck in need of assistance and unable to find reliable help. As I write this even, I'm stuck on a problem that I do not know how to solve, and the response from management is "read a textbook and figure it out." Part of me thinks that is awesome, as I get to learn a ton while I work, but it also puts me in a difficult spot as my work is delayed substantially while I spend my time reading textbooks and watching online lectures. If I could just walk 5 minutes over to another more experienced engineer, I'm sure they could help me out pretty quickly, but everyone is so busy all the time that I don't usually get to do that. Of course that is also in part due to the fact that I am a mechanical engineer working in a lab focused primarily on electrical engineering, so most of my coworkers don't know the solutions either. That brings me to some of the trouble with the division model at NRL. Each division and branch acts as its own separate unit. I have NEVER interacted with an employee outside my division, with the exception of the occasional conversation during lunch. Finally, pay is not great. I started at the bare minimum GS scale pay, and I am still there after 3 summers worth of work and multiple major steps up in my education. With DC raising their minimum wage, I now make less than a McDonalds fry cook. That said, the educational experience alone is so great I might even do this work for free, but it still would be nice to get a decent wage.

3. "Good place to be while in graduate school. Move on after that."

Former Employee - Computer Science Student Trainee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time

Pros

Received a wide variety of experiences in a short amount of time, paid for my graduate school.

Cons

Difficult to get promotions. People tend to stick around a long time.

4. "Stepping stone"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The laboratory was (as of 2018) a decent place to gain additional experience prior to starting a career. Decent post-doc pay

Cons

Facilities are crumbling; projects are slow; funding is insecure.

5. "Government Job"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Stennis Space Center, MS

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and paid leave, relaxed work environment, low pressure

Cons

Poor management, low salaries, limited upward mobility

6. "Excellent Postdoc Opportunity"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment for developing your research skills and networking for better jobs after your postdoc is complete

Cons

The government is a painfully slow entity to work with. It can take several months to get any research equipment ordered.

7. "Military Research"

Current Employee - Engineering Intern

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Prestigious name of the organization lives up mostly to its reputation. The environment is similar to most defense oriented spaces, but much more research focused.

Cons

The pay could be better, but its a trade off for the government status security and prestige.

8. "Good place to work if there is funding"

Current Employee - NRC Postdoctoral Research Associate in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Work life balance, competitive salary and benefits

Cons

Facilities, never ending search for funding

Continue reading
  9. "Cozy job with good benefits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Washington, DC

Pros

Great benefits, pay, and a quiet work environment.

Cons

It can stink occasionally and the facilities aren't the best.

Continue reading

"One of the best commands in the Navy"

I have been working at US Naval Research Laboratory

Pros

The pay system. Flexibility, innovation and agility

Cons

Physical location and condition of facilities

Found 101 reviews