Uline Employee Reviews about "dress code"

Updated 17 Mar 2020

3.3
Uline CEO Dick Uihlein
Dick Uihlein
Pros
Cons
  • "Strict dress code (especially for women)(in 92 reviews)

• "micro management, strong dress code, metrics, they work you like a horse and let you go for fresh ones(in 39 reviews)

Reviews about "dress code"

Return to all Reviews

"Love working here!"

5.0

I have been working at Uline full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top management really does care about you. Food is amazing in the cafe. Free massages, fitness center and personal trainer available. Training is really good. Beautiful office. Not just stuffy white walls. Bonuses are awesome. The cons are out weighed by all these pros

Cons

Business professional Dress code, can only have 5 personal items on your desk, strict 8-5 hours, clock in and clock out even for salary employees.

Uline2020-01-23

February 27, 2020

We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with Uline and appreciate your feedback.

"Communication Challenges"

2.0
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They're committed to making money, which pays employees well. Excellent job security, especially since they never close, even when it endangers their employees.

Cons

The communication within the organization is terrible. Any messages to employees are far and few between. What is communicated gets censored by the Creative department. Their messages are not informative or genuine. The company forces managers to spin information the same way to their employees to try to justify any absurd policy decisions. Their response to coronavirus was non-existent. Without listening to and acting on the grumblings of their "family" of employees (i.e. work from home options, dress code, flexibility, reducing the audit culture, etc), they will find themselves with all of the inventory and none of the people to make their business successful.

Uline2020-03-17

April 21, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We are tremendously proud of our team at Uline. In the midst of rapidly changing circumstances, our employees have risen to the challenge and are playing a critical role in our nation’s response to this unprecedented crisis. Like many other businesses, we had to adapt to the new reality of the pandemic. We are proud of the steps we have since taken to protect over 6,500 Uline employees across North America while balancing our responsibility to serve our customers. To read more about Uline’s Response to COVID-19, visit www.uline.com/Corporate/About_Covid.

"micro management w/ good pay"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Uline full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, no weekend work, overtime. bonuses, yearly pay increase

Cons

micro management, strong dress code, metrics, they work you like a horse and let you go for fresh ones.

Uline2020-03-15

"Great pay, strange company culture"

I worked at Uline full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay for position, lots of tools to keep the productivity up, hard to get bored.

Cons

Very bizarre backwards 1960's office culture and dress code. Panty hose and skirts are required, suit jackets matching suit pants if god forbid you want to wear pants as a woman. Very sexist and outdated. Customer service reps don't even have physical access to customers, why the need for pantyhose?

Uline2020-02-13

"Horrible experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Director in Pleasant Pr, WI

I worked at Uline full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay if you can get past the cult-like culture. Great place to work if you want to be a “yes man” or “puppet” and have all of your decisions and ideas second guessed.

Cons

There is a lack of trust with employees at all levels of the organization. This is clearly seen through the existence of their "Executive Operations" team. This team of executives are on perpetual "witch-hunt" to nitpick people’s decision and any minor flaw in a person’s actions or abilities. They make themselves relevant to the owners by taking credit for the ideas and work of others. Rather than allowing people to learn from their mistakes, individuals are put on a “list” if they make a small mistake. This mindset creates a toxic and hostile work environment bred by fear and force, thus hindering creativity and the ability to grow. There is way too much emphasis on writing styles, instead of focusing on a person’s true skillset and experience. They also rate you based on how many average hours are worked per week, rather than your ability to be efficient and get things done. Executive Leadership thinks this is how organizations operate because they have not worked anywhere else and now are too short-sighted to realize it. This organization is averse to change, and they will tell you the exact opposite during the hiring process. I was brought on to help implement a new system, but their resistance to change made it impossible. The Executive Ops team opposes everything because they are scared the owner will blame them for something. They keep their old customized and decrepit systems around instead of upgrading to modernized systems that would make them more efficient (10 years behind). Then keep hiring more people to support the old systems, pretty soon those people won’t exist. So they’ve become inefficient and wasteful as an organization. Another example of this is their catalogs...they would rather waste millions on paper catalogs than to invest heavily into their on-line presence (guess Amazon has it all wrong). Other Cons: Lack of flexibility (work from home is not an option) Everyone punches a clock, even exempt employees. (Strange) The dress code is a thing of the past. We are now in 2020! Wasteful - they do not recycle anything, and print way too much. High turn-over rates, despite what they tell you. Watch out for the Exec Ops team, they are not your friends. Growth opportunities for some roles do not exist. There are not common goals or shared objectives. Leadership works against each other and will throw others under the bus to elevate their standing to the owners.

Uline2020-02-20
  6. "Good pay & incentives, no creativity"

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

pay, incentives & bonuses, coworkers

Cons

work from home not an option, strict policies including dress code, too many hurdles for a simple approval

Uline2020-01-07

February 27, 2020

We’re happy to hear you are pleased with our generous benefits and annual bonus program, and we appreciate your strong work ethic to earn it. We don’t shy away from our high standards to meet our growing demands, which is why we provide various professional development opportunities to help our management and employee teams thrive together. We feel our policies have helped contribute to the successful company we have evolved into today, but we know there are always opportunities for improvement. Thank you for sharing your input.

"Sales"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Uline full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bonus structure Quality training End of year gifts

Cons

Terrible managers and directors No flexibility Many metrics and impossible standards Don’t trust their employees Direction and goals change multiple times throughout the year Difficult to achieve goals Outdated dress code Abundance of rules High turnover

Uline2019-11-15

"Favoritism from Management Runs Amok"

1.0

I worked at Uline full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The training facilities and corporate trainers are amazing. The buildings are clean and well taken care of.

Cons

It’s hard to know where to begin with the problems at Uline. I’ll start with the department I worked in which was the Internet Department. Management is the worst I’ve ever seen at a company. Early on you’ll be “chosen” as a star worker. From there, you can pretty much do whatever you want and receive praise and promotions. Want to fall asleep at your desk? Have a promotion. Want to belittle other employees in meetings? Good job for “voicing your opinion.” Management might string along employees with the prospect of a promotion but that day will never come because they aren’t a favorite. You’ll just be told that you “didn’t work on a large enough project”, which is code for you were never assigned one from management. This type of favoritism has ruined the department, and management is to blame for breeding this culture. The website is actively worse today than when I first started because the good employees who aren’t “chosen ones” can’t get any of their ideas through. We’ll move on to the company as a whole. The president sows fear in every employee. You can look her up and probably figure out why. On top of this, you can be written up for virtually anything. From eating at your desk and dress code violations to being perceived as not working at your desk enough. This has led people to watch their back everywhere they go because anyone having a bad day can report you. HR will only hire type A personalities, which is probably a reason for a decent amount of conflict. Communication between departments is abysmal for the reason that making someone look stupid grants praise. The compensation is under market value because the headquarters is in the middle of nowhere. The “bonuses” are included in your annual salary evaluation. You’ll have to drive in during inclement weather because you can’t work from home. It’s a good thing that the Uihlein’s have as much money as they do because the company wouldn’t have made it this far without that. It’s not harder to get into than Harvard, and the talent working there isn’t the best in the industry. Having worked there for over 7 years showed me that.

Uline2019-12-02

January 6, 2020HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We%E2%80%99re disappointed to hear your experience at Uline was not more positive. As the workplace of choice to over 6,000 team members, we pride ourselves on providing an environment in which hard work and quality results never go unnoticed. That%E2%80%99s why over 500 employees made internal moves and promotions this past year alone. We encourage employees who have questions and feedback to utilize our open-door policy and have discussions with management.We also work hard to create a comfortable and safe working environment for our employees. Our dress code reflects the high standards of service we provide to our customers.

"Great, but not for everyone"

4.0
    Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent pay. Management understands that family comes first. The company affords ordinary grunts a LOT of power - I have never felt so empowered at a company before. If you show 'the spark,' they will actively develop you into the person you want to become. There's a corporate culture of integrity and honesty - a couple long-time employees who don't get it consistently get socked in the face as a result. Bravery is encouraged.

Cons

Oi, with the cubes already and the ties and the sexist dress code, already. I'm not sure I'd want to work for the company if I were a young woman looking to start a family on account of a restrictive maternity leave policy. PTO is a little skimpy. The little details can be frustrating.

Uline2019-10-11

"Great company with great people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than a year

Pros

Uline truly hires the best people from the top down. Managers are very competent and well-equipped to let their teams succeed. High level of career stability considering the overall company growth and the individual development opportunities offered. The benefits are great. Profit-sharing bonus, pay, PTO, and fringe benefits like the cafe and fitness center. A very collaborative and team-driven environment. Facilities are amazing - beautiful and clean.

Cons

Antiquated and gender-slanted dress code. Lack of flexibility in terms of working from home. Company processes and decision-making are very dependent and reactive to the opinions upper management, making necessary progressive company change slow to impossible. Lack of sustainability effort, even as simple as recycling.

Uline2019-10-17