Ultra Electronics Reviews

Updated 24 Jun 2020

3.5
Ultra Electronics Chief Executive Officer  Simon Pryce
Simon Pryce
Pros
  • "Always supportive, great people to work with, great products and enthusiasm(in 19 reviews)

• "A clean work environment, great health insurance(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management act like school bullies, zero clue on how their short sightedness impacts everyone else(in 36 reviews)

• "Constant source of stress from upper management(in 21 reviews)

1. "Brimming with Opportunity"

5.0
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Loudwater, England

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is an exciting time at Ultra at the moment, with Simon Pryce (the CEO who took over in Jun 2018) working to consolidate Ultra from its previously disparate structure (25+ separate, independently run, P&Ls) to a more consolidated business with a core set of product lines. If you practice effective self-management a, you can rapidly accelerate your career by joining Ultra. The company is always looking for emerging talent to take on new challenges and will push you to your limits. The key to a successful career at Ultra is understanding where your limits are and being able to recognise when taking on 'just one more thing' will cause you to fail. The key highlights are: - Salaries are average and can be great if you negotiate your job grading - The annual salary review process and the promotion process are both fair and well-explained - Rapid career progression is possible, with opportunities aplenty below director level - Plenty of opportunities to work with exciting hardware. - Even at junior levels, there will be few layers between you and the customer (typically just the Lead Engineer and a Project Manager), so you will get plenty of customer exposure. - You will have the chance to see the inner workings of some of the Royal Navy's platforms. - There is a real level of agility at project-level rather than mindless adherence to processes. - Most people in the business are extremely helpful and will work through any issues without things devolving into conflict. - Flexible working and home working are now becoming realistic options thanks to recent changes in working practices.

Cons

As with any company, Ultra doesn't do everything well. Some of the areas it is weaker in include: - Training budgets are limited compared to the rest of the high tech defence and aerospace sector, even employees identified as high potential or top talent struggle to access meaningful levels of training funding. - Benefits are all 'pay as you go,' there is nothing over and above the base salary baked into any package below Director level. - Low expectations of performance amongst front-line/junior managers. - One of the primary drivers of the bonus is whether customers pay their invoices on time, something which most staff have little influence over. - Facilities are so poorly maintained and located that it is embarrassing, especially when showing customers around. Ultra certainly isn't for everyone, but for hard-working and dedicated professionals who can manage their career and push themselves hard, the pros significantly outweigh the cons.

June 8, 2020Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for your very well thought out review! We appreciate the time you put into it and believe it is very accurate. Rest assured, our CHRO will see the HR agenda through, despite challenges that have required HR to focus on Covid-19 issues.

2. "Goods and bads"

Current Employee - Finance in Wimborne Minster, England

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Majority of the people are lovely to work with, benefits, holiday, bonus, parking

Cons

Very out dated computer systems. Lack of communication.

June 24, 2020Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Thanks for the honest review of our goods and bads! There is a big project right now to update all the technology, which should make a huge difference.

3. "4 stars"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They care for their employees

Cons

Outdated tech, Generally poor pay compared to central Manchester

June 24, 2020Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you noticed how much we value our employees. There is a project in the works to update all the technology, which should make a huge difference.

4. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Principal Firmware Engineer in Greenford, England

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time

Pros

High Motivation and very dynamic

Cons

Difficult to recruit due to London Location

5. "Excellent people, slow industry"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time

Pros

Excellent down to earth employees and management.

Cons

Aerospace can be a slow industry to work in.

June 8, 2020Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your time spent as an intern and hope you will think of us when you graduate.

"Weak management, bullying culture"

1.0

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time

Pros

Work life balance is good, salary not too bad

Cons

Senior management act like school bullies, zero clue on how their short sightedness impacts everyone else. Unable to approach under the fear of being ridiculed. Unwilling to hear or act on continuous improvement ideas. Have zero idea on how they're the cause of a very negative working environment. Management will go to different people within a group until they get the answer they want, or just do what they want, blaming everyone else when their idea causes problems.

June 29, 2020Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We truly appreciate all forms of employee feedback and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve the employee experience. We read your review with great concern. I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to feedback. I hope that with the changes coming to Ultra throughout 2020, your confidence in management is restored.

7. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Undergraduate Engineer in Cheltenham, England

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training and investment into employees

Cons

Better internal organisation would be good, less bureaucracy.

June 8, 2020Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for your review! Just wait until you see the changes that are in store for the rest of the year!

8. "Great Company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Author in Stafford, England

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time

Pros

Always supportive, great people to work with, great products and enthusiasm. Highly recommended. Flexible approach to modern day work/life balance.

Cons

I have no negative points to raise.

April 28, 2020Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Thanks for the great review! We love our people, too!

9. "Good place to worl"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Greenford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work wirj

Cons

Parking is a serious issue

April 13, 2020Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for your review! We agree, there are some great people to work with at Ultra.

10. "Good Business, provides training and developnent"

Current Employee - Graduate in Greenford, England

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Lots of opportunities for training and upskilling - Lively office, friendly people and environment - flexi time and half day fridays - Opportunities to advance in the business due to employee demographics - Graduates have good opportunities to try placements in different parts of business

Cons

- Confusing direction of business/wider group - Processes between different sites of the same business are different let alone between groups - Business structure, hierarchy and accountability also uneccesarily complicated and confusing - HR department generally slow, unhelpful and new starter experience lacking key information and disorganised

Found 343 reviews