Underground Elephant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 88 reviews

3.3
Underground Elephant CEO Jason Kulpa
Jason Kulpa
Pros
  • "Just started at UE and so far I'm really growing into the position(in 14 reviews)

• "Perks are better than most companies in San Diego(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "One of the great things about working at UE is that it is located in the heart of downtown San Diego(in 6 reviews)

• "Paying for parking downtown is expensive(in 5 reviews)

"Uncomfortable"

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

Lively office with fun perks for people starting out.

Cons

It's been a while since I worked at UE but I still remember the feeling of constant discomfort. Management was volatile at the time and I heard wildly inappropriate comments being made by leadership about women. What started out as a frat environment seemed to be shifting to something more professional as I was heading out. Hopefully it's gotten better.

Advice to Management

Diversity and leadership training may be beneficial.

Underground Elephant2017-11-27

"Not for everyone. Some internal issues but can be rewarding."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good Startup vibes and culture which creates a fun work environment. - Lots of opportunities to move in and out of different projects. - Trial by fire. I mean this in a good way. They will trust you to handle yourself and give you bigger responsibilities quickly. - Senior Engineers really know what they are doing. You learn a lot. - Great Location - Cool Perks

Cons

- Employees are mostly kept in the dark about things. - Pay is on the low side - Bad decisions and a lousy/undefined company direction led to layoff of 1/3 of the company.

Underground Elephant2017-10-31

"There are truly no words to explain how horrible this organization is."

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cold Brew Coffee, Donuts and (some) awesome people

Cons

If it wasn't for the friends I made there, I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did. The place is going down in flames, quick. The CEO is a complete sociopath and narcissist. Before you apply here, Save yourself some time and read the article in the San dirgo reader called the elephant rages. The pay is horrible, the quotas are unattainable and management wants nothing more then for you to fail. I've never seen so... much turnover in a company either....there's a reason for that. Don't let the cool office fool you, it's just a front for how crappy this place is. Best Advice: DON'T APPLY

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, pay a normal living wage and just stop....because you suck.

Underground Elephant2017-10-20

"Sales Position for almost Two Years"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for more than a year

Pros

-High growth opportunity, still in start up mentality -Great Business Model -Freedom to be creative- Use your own methods to sell and make a customer happy -Very family-esque culture

Cons

-This job isn't for everyone, expect high dials, expect bad days, expect overcoming objections. You make your own paycheck. -There is high growth but only the consistently best will reach it. Don't think you're getting a promotion just because you have a few good months. Prove your worth.

Advice to Management

Try to follow through with business projects and objectives, you can't accurately plan if the goals change every month.

Underground Elephant2017-09-13

September 18, 2017HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad you enjoyed your time at UE and wish you the best of luck in future endeavors.

5. "Great job"

I worked at Underground Elephant

Pros

Welcoming culture and overall a great learning experience

Cons

Snacks go away too fast

Underground Elephant2017-09-28

"Superb culture"

Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Underground Elephant

Pros

Management is too good. Compitative salary. Superb office space.

Cons

Management should focus on long term vision. Lack of transparency in some policies.

Underground Elephant2017-05-25

May 30, 2017HR Business Partner

Happy to hear you enjoyed the office and the culture! We are aware that transparency into the company's vision, performance, and policies is a priority among employees and are always working to improve in this area. Thank you for your feedback.

"So far so good!"

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

Just started at UE and so far I'm really growing into the position. My coworkers and boss are super friendly. I feel like management would go the extra mile to help me do well at my position. The office is gorgeous! Open concept is very cool. After working in cubicles for such a long time it's definitely a good change. I like the fact that the dress code is super chill. I workout often and like that I was... able to go in wearing casual clothes.

Cons

Parking is a pain but I find that there's so many advantages working at UE that I'm willing to overlook it for now.

Advice to Management

I'm a new hire so no advice so far. I find it a good place to work.

Underground Elephant2017-05-11

May 23, 2017HR Business Partner

Thanks for your feedback, it's great to get the perspective of a new employee. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the office (and hope you are joining us for tacos today to celebrate our one year anniversary in the new building :))

"Consider UE... only as a LAST RESORT!!"

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time for more than a year

Pros

At best, you'll make friends. Good people are drawn here because big smiles and office perks are the first things you see. You definitely learn a lot as there is next to no leadership or training. You have to figure things out on your own or you'll be the first in line when a layoff comes. The location is great as you may often need to get a drink after a day of unsatisfying work. You learn to budget because... raises rarely if ever happen (they will lowball you to start and hope that you're too inexperienced to negotiate) so consider it an extra boost to your math skills! There are positions where you can be happy, but those are already taken by long term employees who have seen to much to be terminated.

Cons

The CEO. It doesn't stop with him but that's definitely the root of the problems. Absolutely delusional and places zero value on anyone other than himself. As other reviews mention, his dark nature has been brought to light by the media and I'm sure it's only scratched the surface. In his words, the "sensational and fake news story" (hilarious considering how many anti-Trump tweets he posts) quoting police and court... documents was the consequence of being a successful company like Uber or Facebook. But those companies are led with integrity and actual business practices - and they don't have to layoff 1/3 of the company to pay for offices they can't afford. I understand that the San Diego Reader may not be the biggest publication, but they did pull directly from state documents, and there are plenty of cases against the CEO that corroborate the story told. Outside of him, his gaggle of culture zombies diligently pump out fluff articles and tidbits that can be reposted by executive management to try and overshadow the negatives. Check how many posts were on LinkedIn or Facebook following the April 26 article, it's laughable. Executive management continues to shelter and protect the CEO making everyone else wonder constantly about their job security. If you speak your mind or show that you disapprove of the CEO, they will quickly find a reason to terminate you. Selling bad products to unhappy customers is draining. Designing programs that are rushed and meant to trick customers is depressing. Making money for a leader who refuses to reinvest in employees is completely ridiculous. Looking for new jobs comes with PTSD - I flash back to the promises made of salaries and raises and commissions when I first joined. I hesitate to trust any award winning companies or anyone boasting about perks. UE should only be a very very last resort, please don't waste time trying to work here.

Advice to Management

Quit pretending things are great. You're either that dumb or that desperate - both of which are sad. If you didn't post embarrassingly transparent fake reviews, employees wouldn't feel compelled to expose so many truths. Oh and get a leader who actually leads, who doesn't try to intimidate everyone on the payroll. Someone smart and upstanding who makes people proud to work there. You get what you give. I'm sure... there are plenty of people out there waiting to watch you get exactly what you've given.

Underground Elephant2017-05-16

May 23, 2017HR Business Partner

We are sorry to hear that your experience working here has not aligned with our intention of creating a positive work environment for all employees. Our team is in the process of carefully evaluating all reviews and takes your feedback seriously. We are cognisant of feedback shared through forums such as Glassdoor, and know that we can (and should) be doing more to acknowledge, explore, and address the concerns of our current and former employees, and to take action where these concerns prove to valid and corrigible. This also involves assessing our internal practices and structures to ensure consistency with our communications, and to better manage expectations. Leadership is collaborating with our people operations team in order to ensure alignment and maximum impact in these efforts. Our first call-to-action is to encourage active employees such as yourself to share this feedback with us directly and early-on so we can engage in a more productive dialogue around challenges and potential solutions. This will allow us to investigate and address your concerns as they arise, for a more proactive and effective result. We also recognize your desire for anonymity, and are looking into methods of effectively exchanging anonymous feedback with employees. Please know that organizational change is a gradual and ongoing process, but the UE leadership and culture team are committed to continually improving the employee experience for all current and future employees.

"Day of Reckoning"

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro is that the article referenced below finally saw the light of day. Hopefully there will be more to follow that expose in greater detail the truth about UE and its management team.

Cons

Want to work for a crazy and unstable individual? Then search "Elephant Rages in East Village" which is a recent article on San Diego Reader. This should provide you with enough information on why not to work at this company. Do yourself a favor and run as far away from this train wreck of a CEO and management team. It is still baffling how the CEO/Company went this long without something like this surfacing sooner... but I suppose better late than never!

Advice to Management

Update your resumes, hire good attorneys and hope you saved your $$$!!

Underground Elephant2017-04-26

"It's actually not that bad."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked at UE for over a year. Without a doubt this will be the weirdest and most sureal career experiance I will have on my resume. The pros and cons can blend in together depending on who you talk to. - SaaS experiance. This is by far the best take away from my time at UE and I was able to use this to negotiate a higher base salary at my current company. - You will master customer service. UE has a mix bag... of quality when it comes to products and you will hear it form their clients daily. You will get berated by customers which will only sharpen your CS skills. - Aweome co-workers. Give it to UE, they hire unique people (many of whome I still keep in touch with) and create an awesome company culture. - Free goodies: Ballast Point, Red Bull, snacks, cereal, bagels and fresh fruit. - Open office. This office is straight out of Silicon Valley. - Casual dress policy (I often wore tshirts.) - Dog friendly. The dog policy was new when I left but it was awesome having dogs around once a week.

Cons

UE isn't all that bad as the most recent reviews make it out to be. I got out on good terms before the layoffs. -Open office. The office is beautiful but I liked my privacy when we were in cubicles. This may not be the best office to work in if you are afraid of having everyone listen to your customer service calls. - The pay. The pay isn't the best but you can leverage the experience into a higher paying job... when you leave. - Parking options. You have to pay for parking out of pocket. This by far was the most irritating part of working at UE because you'd think that a company that has the money to take care of 5 live olive trees can pay $100 a month for their employees parking pass.

Advice to Management

- Be transparent with prospective employees about roles and expectations as a CS rep. Is it a sales job or a customer service job? The answer is both but I didn't find out until I was hired. - Have the monthly commission agreement ready on the 1st of the month and not on the 7th, 15th, or 20th of the month so we can have an idea of how much money we could potentially earn.

Underground Elephant2017-02-26