United Shore Reviews

Updated 17 Sep 2020

2.8
United Shore President & CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia
Pros
  • "It’s very easy to get to know fellow team members and make lasting connection(in 82 reviews)

• "United shore is a great place to work/gain experience in the mortgage industry(in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • "With the recent uptick in COVID-19 cases United Shore has failed to address this recent news and/or provide an alternative(in 54 reviews)

• "People are being pushed through underwriter training that shouldn’t be underwriters, then those same(in 44 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Kool aid is wearing off"

Current Employee - Underwriter II in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits and amenities are excellent, and health benefits and PTO are able to be used after only 30 days with the company.

Cons

Base compensation is below average throughout the company. Most teams have the opportunity for bonuses, but you can't earn them working a "firm 40". One mistake can also cost you the entirety of that bonus, based on how many of your loans are audited but not how many loans you actually worked in a given month. Leadership is cliquey at best and opportunities for advancement are based more on who you know and how much your leader likes you than your knowledge or experience.

United Shore Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Many team members enjoy the opportunities to earn additional compensation through bonus which often does mean working extra hours – bonus is definitely an “over-and-above” incentive! The majority of our team members are able to work from home through the end of the year, and those who are on campus work in an environment filled with cautionary measures to provide the highest level of safety. Please reach out to your leader or me to discuss ideas you have. As someone who’s been here many years, you bring an perspective I’d like to hear. – Kristi Geromotte, VP, Underwriting

2. COVID-19

"Time for Change"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Pontiac, MI
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

United Shore is by far the largest wholesale mortgage lender in the country, largely due to it's lightning-fast underwriting turn times and client service standards. Brokers can contact underwriters directly via phone (unique in the industry) with a guaranteed answer, through email, and through digital requests that have reliable, super efficient response times. Income documentation, once uploaded, will be guaranteed to be reviewed in 3 hours. All of this combined with industry-record underwriting turn times, UWM is an undeniable go-to for large and small broker shops country-wide. All requests are timed and guaranteed to get resolved within a very strict time-frame. The only problem with all of this is that all of it- and I mean all of it- falls on the shoulders of the underwriting staff at UWM.

Cons

Due to this unique client service focus, underwriters are finding themselves stuck between 2 ever-increasing pressures: production expectations, and client service expectations. Daily commitments are calculated based on a monthly average- and if you happen to produce more one month, you are then expected to hit those higher numbers consistently thereafter, regardless of changing circumstances (COVID *cough*). Now with higher production, comes more phone calls, CRS (digital requests), emails, and senior queues. This up-take in client service tasks pulls underwriters away from doing what they were actually hired to do: underwrite. I liken this situation to being trapped in underwriting quick sand, where you find yourself busy for hours on end, however getting nowhere in terms of meeting the ever-increasing production expectations. Time continues to tick, you continue to work, but you have nothing to show "on paper" for production. More and more time is being spent on resolving the client-service requests (either by phone or digitally) and senior queues, increasing stress and the feeling of "being behind", thus creating a hasty, nerve-racking underwriting experience where you anxiously anticipate the inevitable interruption in the not so distant future. Underwriters also receive financial punishment for making "errors"- both pre-funding and post-funding. The real thorn in the side is the prefunding errors, as these are errors that "would have" caused an expensive buy-back from the company, however don't in actuality because it was caught and corrected. Counter-intuitively, these errors cost underwriters the most money, depending on an oversimplified calculation of errors to audits ratio (that could be as little as 4 loans audited for the month, so one or two small mistakes can wipe away an entire month of hard earned commission). I've seen people lose upwards of $10,000 by making 2 mistakes which were almost instantly resolved by the company. This compensation structure keeps underwriters on edge and even more anxious the entire month, as one small mistake could waste away countless hours of stressful labor. Training is largely conducted on slide-shows and multiple choice exams and workbooks. Underwriters are then thwarted from the classrooms and into a 2 week mentoring process which gives them about enough time to maybe learn the basics of the system, let alone learn how to underwrite thoroughly. They are then expected to meet their commitments and make little to no errors. If errors are made, underwriters are placed on probationary terms and all of their work is expected to be reviewed and scrutinized by their leader (me). Team leads are literally bombarded with the oversight of all of these responsibilities, metrics, questions, client service issues, etc, paid a fixed salary, and without choice have to put in extra hours to meet all deadlines and time frames with no extra compensation. We of course have the option to produce ourselves, however doing so will only make us less available to deal with the constant needs of our "pod" (usually around 12 underwriters needing help with income questions, client service issues, system questions, the list goes on).

United Shore Response

Thank you for your very well thought-out feedback. You bring up a lot of great points, including record loan volume and high standards both for underwriting quality and client service. You mention balance as well – a balanced work day, balanced teams, etc. I would very much welcome a live conversation with you. I’d like to hear more about your ideas – we’re always open to improvement and making sure our processes and procedures make the most sense on all levels. Please reach out to me. – Kristi Geromette, VP, Underwriting

"Growing company may be losing itself along the way"

Former Employee - Business Analyst I in Pontiac, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly work culture, amazing campus and facilities

Cons

What once felt like a family company, is quickly becoming every other large company it took pride is NOT being

"Corporate America, it is what it is"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time

Pros

You can move up if you play the game

Cons

Lots of dumb people in power, you have to constantly praise Mat and say what a genius he is, let’s keep it 100 and say he isn’t the same guy he was a year ago. Constantly doing more but only rewarded if you are a “bro” or a girl someone wants to bang. Stop with all the izzo talk too, we don’t play basketball.

"A real Career, not just a “job”"

5.0
    Current Employee - Teamleader in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hands down, the best thing about a UnitedShore is the People. This is a work place that everyone from, the EVP down to the person sitting next to you, cares. It’s evident from the moment you walk in. UnitedShore makes a point to be known that this is a place of employment in which you can create real gratification, whether it’s introverted or received from outward sources. We work hard while we’re in the building and I think what separates our business from the rest of the industry we compete in, is that everyone here is proud of their work. There is a lot of pride in what we do! The company is constantly adapting and is always listening to its workforce on what we can do to better help internally, externally, and around our community.

Cons

Cons tend to be minimal and if something is needed to be addressed, it always is and corrected. I will say, we do work while we’re in the building. That can sometimes be difficult for someone who wants to come in and do the bare minimum. Our Mantra is to get a little bit better each day. Bare minimum is just that, it’s fine due to circumstance for stints, but it’s not the expectation.

6. COVID-19

"Great Company - COVID Concerns"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

I believe this would be a great company if we weren't living in COVID times. I'm sure I speak for most when I say, I appreciate Mat promising not to lay off any employees.

Cons

United shores really harps on their pillars, one of them especially - “our workers are out greatest asset” and often remind their employees how important they are to the company. Their actions of late, however, feel contradictory. With the recent uptick in COVID-19 cases United Shore has failed to address this recent news and/or provide an alternative. This is especially the case for the recently hired employees. Sitting in a class room with 70+ trainees and in the same building with over 1,000 other team members just doesn’t feel good and it does not feel safe. It feels a little irresponsible and feels like there is a lack of care for their employees. Fortunately I live alone, but I am still in my upper 30s and have underlying health problems that put me at higher risk. My first week was last week and the aurora was peaceful and positive, but this week it feels different. I’ve been taking the proper precautions to stay safe during this pandemic - this has been my first time being in such large spaces with so many people and its just scary honestly. The trainers have mentioned that during the first stay at home order all trainings were on line, I guess I don’t think that it “being a hassle” is a good enough excuse to not take the proper precautions to virtually train employees if it means saving lives. I’ve heard that some of the new hires are starting to feel like nothing more than a number and that the company is only concerned with keeping up with production goals, instead of the safety of the employees. Especially when many of their competitors are conducting training and work virtually, safely.

United Shore Response

Welcome aboard, and thank you for sharing your feedback. We’ve put a lot of measures in place to best ensure everyone’s safety, including distancing our training spaces, using desk dividers, frequent and extensive cleaning protocols, and wearing masks in common areas, etc. We are following guidelines set by the CDC, the governor and Oakland county executive orders to ensure we are taking all measures we can to keep our team members healthy and safe while also setting our team members up for success in their new roles and providing the best training experience we can. Your health and well-being is very important to us. You mentioned being fearful - we know there is a lot of feelings of anxiety in the world right now. We’re doing everything we can to minimize risk and keep our essential business going strong. Any thoughts or ideas you have – please share them with your trainer or me directly. As someone new to the company, you are bringing a fresh perspective – we want to hear it! - Kristi Geromette, VP, Underwriting

7. COVID-19

"Caution"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team Members are very friendly and a culture that SHOULD work

Cons

Upper management is a joke, with how they respond to actual issues (Covid, Bonuses, team member concerns etc...) Underpaid dramatically for the amount of work that is completed by all the "Ground Units" rather than upper management. The team members could 100% do their job without upper management and have enough for everyone to get paid what they deserve

United Shore Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts – let’s have a conversation! Please reach out to your leader or a Team Relations specialists. We want to be able to provide you with the answers and information you need.

8. "Great Company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Undergraduate in Flint, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time

Pros

- Flexible Work / Home balance - Opportunity for advancement - Communication is very important here - Encourage team building and bonding activities

Cons

- It was too far away from my home and school. I chose to resign to finish up school. It isn't much of a con. I actually really enjoyed it there and I learned a ton from many great people. If I absolutely have to come up with a con, it would be the cafeteria line can be long right when lunch starts.

"Great opportunity"

4.0
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Closer in Pontiac, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent training Opportunity to move throughout company Great pto

Cons

Underpaid Difficult to switch your shift

"Great place to get you foot in the door and gain some experience. However proceed with caution..."

2.0
    Former Employee - Lending Support Specialist in Pontiac, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starbucks, co-workers, and can be good place to gain some mortgage experience.

Cons

I could write a book about how bad this place is. I was there for 2+ years. I thought in the beginning I would stay and build a career at United Shore. That was a huge mistake. I should have left after a year. I stayed because I was a top producer and I was making decent money (because I worked really hard, base pay is extremely low) for an entry-level position. Everything else about this company is toxic. If you end up working here never question the why (especially if you are not well-liked), kiss up to team leads, always be positive no matter what, hit your #'s if you're in a production role, and be on time everyday. Get that experience and move on. Read the reviews here they are 100% accurate.

Found 718 reviews