United Shore Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 Nov 2019

3.6
United Shore CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia
Pros
  • "I've watched it shift from a small 20 team members in IT to over 500(in 77 reviews)

• "United Shore is growing so fast that we have the world’s largest sandbox to always play in(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you’re looking for a starter job United Shore(in 40 reviews)

• "Leaders do not respect their underwriters(in 30 reviews)

"Opportunity of a Lifetime. Rewarding Work."

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

United Shore is all about their people. They listen and are constantly working to adapt. The company has grown like crazy, so it hasn't always been perfect, but where is? At least here they are focused on changing it for good. The IT culture isn't typical. There are definitely differences that you give and take. It's funny though because reading other reviews cite things such as how tough it is to clock in... and out or that work from home is limited to those who can be trusted. These are small problems that are amplified in the absence of greater ones. United Shore doesn't really have big problems. It's been great working here. Work hard, show ownership, be willing to learn and you will thrive here. My personal growth over the years has been tremendous as the company has allowed me to adapt to my role and move up through the company.

Cons

Clocking in and out on salary. Laughably small problems. Honestly nothing else really bothers me. I'm not unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Find ways to better communicate changes. It's part of the growth, but glaring. A lot of our issues stem from this.

United Shore2019-11-18

"Mostly Good"

Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Insurance, PTO, opportunities for bonus and advancement

Cons

Driven by quantity not quality, base pay does not meet living wage standards

Advice to Management

Raise starting pay to $15 an hour and adjust all other pay accordingly.

United Shore2019-11-12
  3. "Best job I’ve ever held"

I have been working at United Shore

Pros

On-site amenities such as a gym, basketball court, volleyball court, convenience store, cafe, starbucks, doctor office, and salon. Great atmosphere to work in. Everyone is friendly! No negativity allowed. Working in I.T. Is very laid back. Firm 40 hour work week. Easily promoted if you are good at what you do.

Cons

Salary isn’t as high as some other places.

United Shore2019-11-12
  4. "Amazing workplace!"

Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, opportunities for growth, fast paced and challenging. I feel like I get to make an impact every day, and the people I work with are amazing!

Cons

The only downside I have is that I wish I would have found United Shore and started my career here earlier!

Advice to Management

Keep the culture strong and keep hiring great people as we expand our team.

United Shore2019-11-08

"ehh not sure about this place"

Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

good entry level experience

Cons

underpaid, a lot of work.

Advice to Management

pay should be competitive to the market

United Shore2019-11-15
  6. "Great Place To Be Since early 2019"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is the ultimate positive environment for a growing company . Mortgages are overall boring so finding a place to work that enjoyable is a big deal. Pay is great for new people to the mortgage industry, and growth is really open right now.

Cons

I cant think of any right now. Getting crowded but we just purchased another building next door... So all is well

Advice to Management

While we grow its super important to keep the culture we have now!

United Shore2019-11-04
  7. "Excellent experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything about the place is amazing. I never felt so happy going to a job in the morning. Everyone is polite and there is great room for growth and to make a great living. I just wish I had what it took to pass the class. I unfortunately couldn’t comprehend the final presentation good enough for them to move forward with me. I tried everything and studied so hard. It’s a terrible feeling but I guess I only have... myself to blame. I should’ve studied different. But the fact of the matter is this place is amazing if you can get in. It’ll be the best decision you’ve ever made. I wish I could be a part of it. But I have to take responsibility for that. I appreciate the opportunity. And if anything it made me stronger

Cons

I can’t think of one thing wrong.

United Shore2019-11-04

"Evolving in IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

IT is part-way through a transition from a mere enabler of the business to a full fledged strategic differentiator. It’s already driving incredible value, but it’s processes haven’t matured as quickly as the team has grown. That makes some things tougher than they ought to be, but no one hides it. All of the rough spots are recognized and a lot of focused effort is being applied to making it better. If you’re the... type of person who wants to be given a manual of “how we do it” and then sit in a cube and do it, then this isn’t the environment for you. If you’re the type of person who wants a say in how it should be done, and is willing to roll up your sleeves to get it done, then join the team.

Cons

As the processes are maturing there has been a lot of change, and I expect that will continue. It can be exhausting, but not fixing the problems would be worse.

United Shore2019-10-31

"Absolutely Incredible!"

Current Employee - Development Team Lead in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

I don’t even know where to begin, this is such an amazing place to work! The opportunities are endless and you really can be who and what you want to be. Come in as an underwriter and want to move to IT? Done. Want to move up into the ranks of leadership? Prove yourself to be a leader in your role and it’s done. Very few places allow for that and it’s really one of Shore’s strengths. The other piece to this is our... Pillars. Most company’s have some sort of core philosophy that they tell you about on the first day but you quickly realize that it’s all fake - not here! Everyone here truly embodies each and every pillar and it’s the primary reason this company has come so far. The second most important is our technology. Our technology team is unparalleled in what we can produce. The speed at which we move and the agility we have as an IT team overall is mind-blowing. We deliver in a few months what most companies would take years to develop. As a member of the IT team, I really have to say it’s the best team I’ve ever worked with and it’s only getting better. IT is one big family and everyone looks out for each other. The most valuable piece to me, however, is that your voice is heard no matter what your role is. I started off as a developer and later moved into leadership and my thoughts and opinions were heard and, most importantly, valued from the moment I joined. I felt able to effect change no matter what I was doing and a lot of this is owed to the culture our CTO has created for us. Jason Bressler is a world-class leader and has built an incredible team and culture. He invites open and honest feedback by maintaining an open-door policy that applies to team members at all levels which is unheard of. Oh, and have I mentioned the perks and amenities? We have a beautiful building with an in-house Starbucks and huge cafeteria. There’s a full gym with a full-size basketball court!! We’ve even got an arcade and various other fun-filled activists.

Cons

Because we deliver so fast, sometimes there are hiccups or challenges that create bigger problems. This can lead to working overtime occasionally but that isn’t very common. Outside of that, there are some typical growing pains due to our exponential growth but they quickly become minor in the big scheme of things.

United Shore2019-10-26

"There is a reason this company is growing so quickly"

Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Where to start? I've honestly never seen a company in my life that is so detail focused. They have literally thought of everything, from training to coaching to peer shadowing, etc. they have literally covered all of the bases. The vibe of the office is pure positivity, and not in some cheezy, culty, "Stepford Wives" vibe, but actual positivity. And there is a reason. For one, IT is insanely nimble. For some... autos, sprints are literally 6-months. Here, we have 48-hour deploys. Our data center is World class. You will never see fans duct taped to racks or running some archaic, un-patched software. If IT can business justify it, it gets done. IT is encouraged to spread their wings, complacency isn't an option. Too often we run into people that interview here that had "one job" for 5+ years...not here. Enterprise Technology, for example, encourages moving between teams, having 4-5 SMEs on a certain technology, and constant employee to employee knowledge transfers. This not only helps the business, but it allows employees to improve their skills and to maintain their relevance. Change is inevitable. It doesn't matter who you are in the org, you have a voice and you can create change. We consistently say, "If you thought about it long enough to complain about it, you've had the time to come up with a solution." Opportunities for advancement are insane, if you want it, you can make a plan, work for it, and achieve it. IT is growing so fast, the inevitable cream will rise quickly to the top.

Cons

With an insanely fast moving business, IT sometimes struggles to catch up. While I list this as a con, this is a good problem to have. Cross team communication seems to be lacking at times, with 700 IT employees and 70 leaders, it is sometimes difficult to broadcast messaging. Especially with teams working on the same projects without knowledge of one another. Lastly, benefits, PTO and salary aren't as... competitive as they should be for a company this large. This needs to be looked at as we are losing good talent to other firms.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees, keep changing, and keep being awesome.

United Shore2019-10-24