United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Reviews

Updated 13 Jan 2021

2.9
United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) President & CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia
Pros
  • "It’s very easy to get to know fellow team members and make lasting connection(in 87 reviews)

• "United shore is a great place to work/gain experience in the mortgage industry(in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • "With the recent uptick in COVID-19 cases United Shore has failed to address this recent news and/or provide an alternative(in 54 reviews)

• "People are being pushed through underwriter training that shouldn’t be underwriters, then those same(in 51 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"A Place To Get Better Every Day"

5.0

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at United Shore for almost a year now -- long enough for the new shine to wear away -- but the thing that still strikes me as so different from any other place I've worked are the amount of training and resources available for those who are interested and willing to constantly push for better. You have access to training from the moment you walk in the door -- and it's expected you'll continue training throughout your career. Whether to get better at your existing job or to learn how to do another one (this is one of those rare places where I see as much movement from type of job to type of job as up or down the ladder), there are coaches, classes and online resources for you. As someone who gets bored easily and thrives on learning new things, this works for me! Also, I really have to say, as goofy as it is, I really LIKE coming to a place where people hold the door open for you, say good morning, and are weirdly nice (at least before we all pretty much had to work from home...). It sets my attitude right from the moment I enter the building.

Cons

This place can be hard for someone who likes to fade in the background and just do their thing. You are required to not just do your job well, but also to connect with others, to share your ideas, and to help others get better too. And some people, frankly, are super uncomfortable with that. That's okay, but if that's you, I'd say think again before taking a job here or you will for sure be unhappy. Also, the parking lots are football fields which sucks in winter. And schedules are pretty rigid. But that's small potatoes (at least for me).

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

April 10, 2020

We’re absolutely THRILLED to hear you’ve been able to find the value in our award-winning training. Giving our team members the resources to be their best self is only one of the ways we continue to show that our people are our greatest asset and hearing that you’ve been able to dive in and learn makes us smile. We understand there’s always opportunities to improve and we take all the suggestions coming through online reviews very seriously and we’ll continue to do so. Thanks so much for all the work you’re doing – keep growing! We’re happy to have you part of our family. Stay safe, stay healthy and thanks again.

"Good Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter

I worked at United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training, perks, insurance, Starbucks, people

Cons

Team Leaders Different positions are lateral or pay less Bonus claw-backs Too much pressure Micro management Highschool vibes

Continue reading

"Great for training, not a permanent place."

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Detroit, MI
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) full-time

Pros

culture, benefits, free training, nice people

Cons

overworked, underpaid, micromanaged, poor leadership

"“Your life is our greatest asset”"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tons of amenities. Hire from within prior to external. Absolutely fantastic team members. Some lucrative production positions.

Cons

They continue to make team members choose between having a job or coming into work despite Covid. I was awarded an opportunity for a promotion but was told coming in was mandatory even when I informed TMS of health restrictions. Rather than take that into consideration I was thanked for my time and the conversation ended.

Continue reading

"Company is decent but your TL/AVP may not be!"

Former Employee - Telecom Analyst

I worked at United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part, I liked working there. The atmosphere was cool and some of my co-workers are what keep me going through the day. If it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't of made it most days. Some good things are: Cool work environment Liked working with co-workers Flexible with time off/leave early request Able to shadow and transfer to a different team

Cons

Even though, it's a decent company. They are sticklers about "Culture" and will use it as a reason to either keep you or not. They are heavy on you saying yes to anything even if you have concerns about what's being asked. If you do say no to what's being asked, they will instantly take it as you not being a culture fit and let you go! I worked on a team that would overlook and down play my skills until I spoke up and informed them. The team I worked for has one of the worst reps in the IT department for keeping POC and women on their team and everyone in leadership/IT knows it. Some other cons are: -Lack of diversity in upper management (AVPs and up) -Will pile projects on you and then rush you to complete the task -Communication issues -Will overlook your ideas until someone else mentions it -Underpays employee (especially in IT) -Working hours make it hard to balance home

6. "Great place"

5.0
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) full-time

Pros

Simply a nice place to work.

Cons

A lot of work to do.

"Stressful job"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is very supportive of its people and encourages them to go 110%. The benefits are fairly generous even for new hires. Our CEO has a great vision for the future.

Cons

This is not an easy job. A lot is expected of you right when you hit the floor. Maximizing loan quality, production, and client service without one hindering the other is what they expect out of you. Many people are not cut out for this and a decent amount of people left the company this year because they felt overworked and underpaid.

Continue reading
  8. "Good place to work with lots of demands"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) full-time

Pros

Opportunity for growth, great culture, nice facility with lots of employee perks

Cons

High volume expectations for production with not so competitive compensation

"High school atmosphere"

Current Employee - Post Closing Specialist in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Easy work to life balance. Good health benefits

Cons

Toxic company culture. Underwriters and AE's are extremely arrogant and think they can do whatever they want. Lending support is awful because it's basically high school all over again.

10. "Great Culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - Trainer

Pros

Great culture.. very people focussed

Cons

Pay not according to industry standards

Viewing 1 - 10 of 839 English Reviews