UnitedHealth Group "health insurance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews about "health insurance"

Updated 17 Jan 2020

3.4
UnitedHealth Group CEO Dave Wichmann (no image)
Dave Wichmann
Cons

Reviews about "health insurance"

Return to all Reviews

"Pros & Cons"

Former Employee - Director in Hartford, CT
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I was a long-term employee of UHG and, overall, enjoyed working there. A major "pro" was the ability to telecommute, full-time. Most of the teams I was a part of, the team members were great to work with (included the boss's). The flexible work hours are also a big pro. I felt the salary was competitive with the market.

Cons

UHG says that they "pay for performance", but that is not 100% true. They have statistics for rating employees within departments (so sometimes people are 'up-rated', but most of the time management is required to 'down-rate' employees at review time) -- to me, this is the biggest 'con'. Senior leadership has been inconsistent, too; so, business direction is changed often, leading to lack of trust with upper management. One other 'con' is the cost of health insurance; you'd think that working for an insurance company that it would be less, but it actually was more than my spouse's work group insurance (for the same coverage). The company (Sr Leadership) used to "walk the talk" regarding Culture Values, but in the last 1-2 years, that has tremendously declined.

Advice to Management

Remove the 'required %' for MAP rating (still continue to rank and pay for performance). Employees shouldn't be "down-rated" just to meet a required % for MAP ratings.

UnitedHealth Group2020-01-17

"Decent Pay and Benefits, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Health Advocate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health insurance HMO plans are very affordable, $25 a month biweekly for a family if you utilize their Rally for Health credits (up to $1200 per year), matching 401k standard, dental benefits are some of best on market (covers 80% of major services), short term disability, paid parental leave including adoptions

Cons

Poor management and high overturn, NO sick days only vacation days that just be approved well in advance.

Advice to Management

Please become a more family friendly company and eliminate biased policies. There is no reason in this day and age to have an occurrence policy that penalizes employees for having a sick child, being sick, poor weather conditions, or falling peril to the every day occurrences in life. 3 unscheduled absences a year when you don’t offer sick days is ridiculous. Invest in your employees health which includes keeping sick employees out of the office. Losing bonuses, being threatened for termination when you are a high performing employee is in humane. HR is also a nightmare to reach using the HR Direct service.

UnitedHealth Group2019-12-30

"Terrible Culture"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent wages for the position

Cons

Health insurance options Culture of "it's not my fault," failure to take responsibility Rapid turnover plus the learning curve means that most people don't know how to properly do their jobs "Failing upwards" was extremely common

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who can't stay on the phones and do the job, stop "recognizing" and promoting people who invent projects to get themselves off the phones while ignoring those with fantastic production and ability to do their jobs without complaint Stop with the stupid scripts over general professional behavior and language Take responsibility for the company's failure to update their systems in a timely manner

UnitedHealth Group2019-12-29

"MEH"

Current Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

benefits except health insurance, flexibility

Cons

poor work life balance, 60-70hr work weeks, documentation requirements are strangling

UnitedHealth Group2019-11-15

"Integrity"

Former Employee - Claims Processor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health insurance, co-workers, values

Cons

Not competitive pay, false promises, management doesn't deliver on core values.

Advice to Management

I think the management could learn that they need to pick their supervisors much more wisely. If they want to retain good employees they need to fix the issues at hand as well make it competitive pay like the other companies around them. Have the supervisors assist in the employees drive to move out of the department to fit their strong suit. I wish I never left the company I was at to come here but glad I did and I know now it was not a company I want to work at nor recommend. They caused a lot of emotional distress and crippling there employees by not paying more and taking away overtime that 90% of us needed to off set the NON competitive pay and lousy benefits.

UnitedHealth Group2019-11-11
  6. "Director, Software Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

fast paced, very technical, lot of opportunities to learn regarding healthcare, competitive pay, generous holidays, lots of health focused activities

Cons

frequent management changes, very high health insurance compared to others , bonuses are often not up-to the mark.

UnitedHealth Group2019-10-29

"Great place for your first steps in the industry."

Former Employee - Associate Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provides a solid foundation for entering the Health Insurance Industry and has really strong upper leadership. Takes active feedback from employees of all levels. Lots of schedule flexibility.

Cons

Very little community culture within the company. No clear paths for advancement which there are opportunities, but advancement itself is really slow. Compensation for labor is lower on the tier compared to other companies in the industry.

UnitedHealth Group2019-10-20

"Good, flexible job"

Current Employee - Field Based Community Health Worker

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The flexibility is the best thing about this role! It creates a great work-life balance. This role also provides mileage and gas reimbursement, amazing benefits, and great health insurance. Lots of travel involved.

Cons

The pay isn’t as competitive as I’d like. The role can become a bit tedious/monotonous at times.

UnitedHealth Group2019-10-15
  9. "Data Scientist"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Bangalore

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

At UnitedHealth Group, they provide several types of pension and welfare benefits. Countless companies in the United States, like UnitedHealth Group, sponsor group health plans, through which a large percentage of each worker's health insurance premium is covered by their employer. These contributions are tax deductible for companies and tax-free for employees. UnitedHealth Group provides health, dental, and vision plans. UnitedHealth Group also provides short-term disability insurance for accidents or illness, long-term disability insurance, group life insurance, and death benefits, which cover certain causes of death. Employer-provided retirement plans help to secure a dependable stream of money later in life. UnitedHealth Group offers defined contribution pension plans. With a defined contribution pension plan, companies help employees save and invest for retirement.

Cons

They do everything they can to make sure you don't qualify for a raise and the company operates like high school, if your not a favorite you can not get promotions or interviews.

UnitedHealth Group2019-10-12

"Only as a last resort"

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Kingston, NY

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work from home Good managers (upper management is a different story)

Cons

High deductible health insurance Work life balance Too much overtime Difficult to advance Employees are treated like numbers Micromanagement

Advice to Management

Absolutely horrible place to work. Good as a temporary gig until you find something better, but burn out is going to happen. Employees are overworked and underpaid. The company puts difficult-to-obtain goals in place in order to avoid paying out bonuses. Employees are extremely micro-managed, though this is the case for pretty much any call center. Don't expect promotions unless you know people in the right places. Overtime, while a nice option, is constant year round almost. And while not required, you will be pressured to do some of it, and if you don't, you will probably see a comment about it on your annual review, or get crummy hours on the next shift bid. They don't hire enough people. They will hire just enough to staff and not account for their high turnover rate, so it is ridiculously busy again within a month. Seniority is rewarded in only two ways: More PTO after 5 years, and a small bonus. When they work out schedules every 6 months, seniority doesn't matter, only numbers do. In fact, all they care about numbers. And those barking the orders aren't even in the same office. Employees are literally just numbers in a screen. Direct management does what they can and they try to lessen the burden on you but at the end of the day they are restricted by the corporate policies they need to abide by. And I haven't even mentioned the stress that comes with the job, as customers suffer and while you may agree with them, you need to stick by the company's unwillingness to pay out claims.

UnitedHealth Group2019-10-12