University of Amsterdam Employee Reviews about "netherlands"

Updated 21 Nov 2020

4.1
University of Amsterdam Chairman Executive Board Louise Gunning
Louise Gunning
Pros
Cons
  • "The rental cost is higher than other cities in the Netherlands(in 3 reviews)

• "Having full time dutch contract is the best(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "netherlands"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Best it can be in a time of crisis (with some reservations)"

4.0
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Amsterdam

I have been working at University of Amsterdam full-time

Pros

Supportive staff Good supervisors in my program (anthropology) Good office space and facilities

Cons

Not enough English language services for International students like me, for example, many classes are taught in Dutch, so PhD students have trouble getting teaching experience unless they are Dutch speakers I feel recently the university (and the country of the Netherlands) has failed to protect students from the spread of Coronavirus, and I feel there is a sense of half measures and a lack of clarity.

2. "Nice place to pursuit a PhD"

5.0
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Amsterdam

I have been working at University of Amsterdam full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amsterdam has a lot of social events.

Cons

The rental cost is higher than other cities in the Netherlands.

3. "PhD Candidate"

4.0
    PhD Candidate in Amsterdam

I have been working at University of Amsterdam for more than 3 years

Pros

The University of Amsterdam has top researchers in many fields and is highly ranked on all world university rankings. The people (both scientific and supporting staff) are friendly, helpful and flexible. The master programs are high level, so working with students is great here too.

Cons

The organisation has gone through some turmoil due to student and staff protests against budget cuts and austerity measures. Especially in smaller fields educational programmes and research might disappear. Money is always tight, there are not many tenured positions, and even a hiring stop for 2015. Almost all research in the Netherlands has project-based funding.

Continue reading
Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.