Find jobs for Postdoctoral Fellow

Updated 23 Jan 2020

3.8
University of Cambridge Vice Chancellor Sir Leszek Borysiewicz
Sir Leszek Borysiewicz
  1. "Good place for life and work"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place for life and work

Cons

No bad comment at all

University of Cambridge2019-07-20
  2. "Delivering scientific impact for society"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom of thinking and flexibility

Cons

Difficult path to a stable career

University of Cambridge2020-01-23
  3. "Very good place to work"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge potential to learn. Very bright people . Fantastic facilities to do science.

Cons

Cambridge is an expensive city to live in

University of Cambridge2020-01-10
  4. "Cambridge post-doc life"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for more than a year

Pros

Academic freedom, intellectual atmosphere, world leading in some subjects

Cons

Low salaries, limited office space, not enough exposure to similar level institutions (i.e. Harvard, Berkley, MIT, etc.), too much exposure to third-world countries

University of Cambridge2019-10-05
  5. "Great place where to work"

Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Research Fellow

I have been working at University of Cambridge

Pros

Great people, excellent community and a lot of opportunities to grow

Cons

Sometimes low work life balance

University of Cambridge2019-07-16
  6. "Fantastic academic environment"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic academic environment. Many brilliant minds, very collaborative, ideas are in the air

Cons

Keen to publish in big journals (Nat & Sci) is way more pronounced here than in other schools I have been before, which is not necessarily a "Con"

University of Cambridge2018-06-07

"Post doc in physics at cambridge"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's one of the world's best universities, working here is very special and will always look good on your CV. Excellent pool of co-workers from all over the world. Great facilities.

Cons

Really expensive to live in the city. Long work hours, most people work excess of 50 hours per week.

University of Cambridge2017-05-14

"Amazing working conditions but extremely competitive enviroment"

Postdoctoral Fellow in Cambridge, England

I have been working at University of Cambridge

Pros

Amazing working conditions in a fairytale-like environment among extremely bright people, of all age and nationalities. Excellent support for social integration through colleges.

Cons

Sometimes you can feel a bit intimidated by the top tier standards or disappointed by people's pro-interest actions since the environment is so highly competitive.

Continue reading
    University of Cambridge2016-01-24

"Excellent workplace"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Cambridge, England

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent opportunities to learn and working with extremely good colleagues which are all world leaders in their field. The career service is excellent, offering a lot of training and opportunities to develop yourself for the rest of your career. And although this is a very academic environment, career services is really open to jobs outside academia (and gives the tools to apply for them), likewise they give excellent support for furthering your career in academia.

Cons

Due to the high standard of all colleagues around, you may sometimes wonder whether you are good enough as researcher. But, that environment is probably also the reason for most of us to apply for jobs here. Salaries may be a bit lower than other universities; but this was compensated by the excellent environment in which I worked.

Continue reading
    University of Cambridge2016-01-06

"Wonderful university, Great place to live in."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cambridge, England

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the best Universities worldwide - which means great faculty, postdocs, graduate students and undergrads. As a scientist it all depend on the specific field/department/group you join, of course. Note - HFSP fellowship may be done through your department. Your Dep would love that, but your research and travel money will have to go through them and won't have the flexibility of having it in your bank account and at the end just sending a financial report+receipts. My advice - even if they sort of assume it - insist and it'll work (because those are the HFSP guidelines). I did so. This may very well work with other sources of external funding - I don't know. Try to find people who have one the same fellowship before and used it in Cambridge - from the website of the funding body's list of recent awardees.

Cons

Well, of course the weather... seriously - sometimes, as any University I guess - bureaucracy is a little too much. Also - computer services can be really problematic and un-21 century Oh, finally - cost of keeping lab animals are very high

University of Cambridge2012-07-27