University of Cambridge Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sir Leszek Borysiewicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very prestigious place to work, surrounded by interesting and intelligent people, world class facilities, excellent social life.

Cons

Many short term contracts and very few permanent positions. Postdocs are not automatically affiliated with a college, which can be somewhat isolating.

Advice to Management

Spend less money on equipment and more money on scientists to do the interesting research. Allow students to apply for parking permits.

2. "Postgraduate researcher"

Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very stimulating environment, great work-life balance, great opportunities for getting involved with other aspects of university life (sports, societies etc), college life

Cons

Poor inter-department communication, support network and systems are relatively inefficient, University seems to be reluctant to change and modernisation compared to other universities

3. "college supervisor"

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time

Pros

perfect part time job to fit into full time PhD schedule, add teaching experience into your resume

Cons

long hours preparation, pay claim system is a bit of a hassle to fill in

4. "Research Associate"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intellectually stimulating work and environment.

Cons

Lower pay compared to the industry for the same quality of work. Need to be self-driven.

5. "Research assistant"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great personal development option, supportive environment,

Cons

Limited possibilities of career evolutions, very limited open ended contracts

6. "Decent workplace, but felt like a cog in a machine."

Former Employee - Administrative and IT Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear salary grades, local benefits. As a low-level support staff, the University can provide a well paid 9-5 job.

Cons

The University is a big organisation, and my experience is limited to one particular branch. I have found that that the staff with managerial responsibilities lacked understanding when it comes to depression;when struggling to get up in the morning it was easier to call in sick than turn up an hour late. Furthermore they were not keen to put their foot down when enforcing actions from the PIs; one PIs equipment being an evacuation route obstruction but nothing was done. My managers also failed spectacularly when it came to timely feedback; bringing something up with a delay of more than a year. There was an expectation of guessing the standards and fitting in, rather than the managers explicitly stating them.

I felt like my role was a bit of a catch-all filler person; the regular tasks I had took up maybe a 8 hours a week, the rest involved sitting at the desk waiting to be called on. With the limited funding, I think my role could have been shared across many branches sharing the location.

The bureaucracy was horrible, using outdated forms not suited for the job only because they were the approved-by-the-top kind.

In my post, there was no real advancement, unless my senior colleague decided to move on, or I wanted to switch to another branch of the university.

Advice to Management

Be more open to change coming from the bottom. Be more understanding of mental health issues. Be clear about the expectations from the start with each new hire.

7. "Great networking but low pay"

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time

Pros

Excellent development prospects
    Great scope for skills building
    Relaxed environment
    Good reputation

Cons

Very low paw, higher opportunity cost
    Hard to get pay rise (only through specific schemes)
    Feels like living inside a bubble

8. "It is fine"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time

Pros

Very good opportunities to do great research

Cons

A lot of people hide behind the Cambridge name and do nothing

9. "Senior Research Technician"

Former Employee - Senior Research Technician in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State of the art laboratories. Amazing and knowledgeable people to work with also helping you to reach your potential. A great line manager on top of everything else. University benefits are great.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. only had to leave because I relocated!

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "PhD Student at the University of Cambridge, UK"

Former Employee - PhD Student in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - PhD Student in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stimulating and productive work environment, motivated co-workers, helpful discussions with supervisors and postdocs. Highly recommended!

Cons

Can be daunting to start to work at, but will be rewarding in the end. It is expensive to rent a property in Cambridge.