University of Cambridge Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 21 June 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Cambridge is quite expensive to live in" (in 6 reviews)

• "Sometimes the work can be too hectic and may lead to the loss of work-life balance" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Research assistant"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great personal development option, supportive environment,

Cons

Limited possibilities of career evolutions, very limited open ended contracts

2. "Decent workplace, but felt like a cog in a machine."

Former Employee - Administrative and IT Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear salary grades, local benefits. As a low-level support staff, the University can provide a well paid 9-5 job.

Cons

The University is a big organisation, and my experience is limited to one particular branch. I have found that that the staff with managerial responsibilities lacked understanding when it comes to depression;when struggling to get up in the morning it was easier to call in sick than turn up an hour late. Furthermore they were not keen to put their foot down when enforcing actions from the PIs; one PIs equipment being an evacuation route obstruction but nothing was done. My managers also failed spectacularly when it came to timely feedback; bringing something up with a delay of more than a year. There was an expectation of guessing the standards and fitting in, rather than the managers explicitly stating them.

I felt like my role was a bit of a catch-all filler person; the regular tasks I had took up maybe a 8 hours a week, the rest involved sitting at the desk waiting to be called on. With the limited funding, I think my role could have been shared across many branches sharing the location.

The bureaucracy was horrible, using outdated forms not suited for the job only because they were the approved-by-the-top kind.

In my post, there was no real advancement, unless my senior colleague decided to move on, or I wanted to switch to another branch of the university.

Advice to Management

Be more open to change coming from the bottom. Be more understanding of mental health issues. Be clear about the expectations from the start with each new hire.

3. "Great networking but low pay"

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time

Pros

Excellent development prospects
    Great scope for skills building
    Relaxed environment
    Good reputation

Cons

Very low paw, higher opportunity cost
    Hard to get pay rise (only through specific schemes)
    Feels like living inside a bubble

4. "It is fine"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time

Pros

Very good opportunities to do great research

Cons

A lot of people hide behind the Cambridge name and do nothing

5. "Senior Research Technician"

Former Employee - Senior Research Technician in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State of the art laboratories. Amazing and knowledgeable people to work with also helping you to reach your potential. A great line manager on top of everything else. University benefits are great.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. only had to leave because I relocated!

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "PhD Student at the University of Cambridge, UK"

Former Employee - PhD Student in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stimulating and productive work environment, motivated co-workers, helpful discussions with supervisors and postdocs. Highly recommended!

Cons

Can be daunting to start to work at, but will be rewarding in the end. It is expensive to rent a property in Cambridge.

7. "at the centre of research"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

exciting and full of opportunities to learn and progress

Cons

quite competitive and high-pressure, but that does depend a lot on the group you are in

8. "Studying chemical engineering at Cambridge university"

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time

Pros

One of the best universities in the world, get to work with the smartest people. Professors and post-docs alike are always interesting to talk to. Can learn far more than just your course.

Cons

Not for people who can't handle a high stress environment. Focus is entirely on academia, no focus on sports or extracurriculars. Teachings are slightly too theoretical (need more practical experience).

Advice to Management

Make the course more practical so that people know how to handle working in the real world. Also, many US universities have a strong alumni network which Cambridge is lacking in severely, would suggest the building of a stronger alumni network.

9. "Posr doctoral associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent brand name, state of art facilities

Cons

lower salary, some facilities are old fashioned

Advice to Management

none

10. "STEM PhD Student Review"

Former Employee - PhD Student in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top-notch research environment. Will be hard to live up to the reputation of those before me! An incredible and unbeatable learning and living environment + study/work-life balance.

Cons

Is being increasingly bloated down by red-tape, namely charging research students excessively for use of departmental equipment. I understand there are costs to using equipment but the current approach stifles research.

There is a cancer of "equal outcome" (not opportunity) social-justice-culture brewing in the education and liberal arts faculties. Be careful!

Advice to Management

- Direct funding towards research instead of student groups and administration staff.
    - Change the "minimum maintenance" figure to something more realistic -- consider that it is the only quotable figure that students can write research grant proposals for, so is ultimately what most receive as funding. Companies are often happy to pay a bit more (student maintenance is small in comparison to the other grant figures) but need a number to cite.