University of Derby UK Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated Nov 5, 2020

Found 8 of over 129 reviews

3.9
University of Derby UK Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive Kathryn Mitchell
Kathryn Mitchell
Pros
  • "Great place to work and great facilities(in 9 reviews)

• "Good working environment, friendly staff, efficient communication(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If a member of the team leaves, their work is offloaded on to the others in the team and it takes a while to recruit a new staff member(in 4 reviews)

• "communication between departments(in 2 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A pleasant working experience

Nov 5, 2020 - Teaching Assistant in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working environment, friendly staff, efficient communication.

Cons

I am happy with my job, nothing negative

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Breath of fresh air

May 14, 2020 - Legal Counsel in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Its a great place to work. I feel genuinely respected, appreciated, rewarded for good work and most importantly they offer genuine flexible working where no one begrudges you a true work life balance. A real breath of fresh air from some companies who claim to offer flexible working and be forward thinking but the reality doesn't match the claims. The University is a really positive working environment and I am enjoying my time here immensely. Great annual leave allowance and pension too. During the pandemic, the University have been an employer to be proud of, there is so much work they are doing to support the local hospitals with scanning equipment, PPE, nursing and other healthcare workers, Ipads for patients to keep in touch with their loved ones, Covid-19 testing stations, and this is on top of the usual programme of civic engagement and funding.

Cons

The food is quite pricey compared with other staff food provision I have used but I just take my own.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Its OK, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Jan 8, 2020 - IT Support Engineer in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing sites and facilities filled with lovely people, state of the art facilities with a really relaxed working environment. The University has a real desire to grow and better itself and its achieving this.

Cons

The pay is not competitive, mine is out by about 20k. They say the working environment is but it isn't really. The main campus has an issue with parking it was not uncommon to not be able to park. They charge employees for a parking permit but then say they cant use the facilities on certain days. To try and get around some of the issues they have brought in a private enforcement company who are now fining employees who are just trying to get into work and make the university a better place. I have heard some of my colleagues who look after the service delivery have been exposed to asbestos.

4 people found this review helpful

University of Derby UK Response

Recruitment Team Leader

Thank you for your review and feedback. Whilst we restrict parking on Student Open Days to ensure our visitors to the University are adequately accommodated for, we do provide significant alternative parking arrangements including a free shuttle bus to and from the alternative car park. Our parking arrangements must support both staff and students, however we know it can get very busy on campus! As such we encourage staff and students to find alternative methods to getting into the main campus, these include the free buses that run across Derby (including to and from the train station and between sites) and a staff 'cycle to work' scheme.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Mixed feelings...

Feb 27, 2020 - Senior Category Manager in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some wonderful colleagues across the University and great work going on. Lovely work environment, professional and committed staff on the whole. Good leave allowance and benefits.

Cons

Inconsistent management and policies which causes stress and confusion, overwhelming workload, under-resourced team although happy to use temps. Academic side seems to be really innovative and forward-thinking but the corporate side needs to update itself significantly!

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Researcher

Feb 27, 2019 - Researcher in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working environment and nice people.

Cons

I don't really see any cons

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Supportive, Developmental and Encouraging - Great place to work

Mar 20, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly and welcoming working environment Supportive and encouraging Development Opportunities Progressive Culture

Cons

Hierarchical structure sometimes restricts direct progression

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Contractor

Enquiry Sales Assistant with International Department

Jan 27, 2017 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful work environment with everyone willing to lend a hand when needed. Questions are welcomed and there is a feeling of camaraderie in the office. Especially loved the informal nature of communication within the office space irrespective of rank. Always someone offering to make a coffee or tea.

Cons

Salaries are not paid till the middle of the next month which can be a bit of a bother.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee

IT Field Support

May 2, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team members that where will to help. The working environment is a wonderful. And the task will get you thinking

Cons

Some days are slow, and boring

1 person found this review helpful