University of Edinburgh Lecturer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.6
University of Edinburgh Principal Sir Timothy O'Shea
Sir Timothy O'Shea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, equal opportunities, good work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great equipment available, I work in a fantastic team, flexible working hours when required (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is skinny and career progression is limited (in 5 reviews)

• Very low salary, no pension scheme (in 5 reviews)

1. "The best place to work and the Best city to live in"

Current Employee - Lecturer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at University of Edinburgh part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the most organised institution one can ever hope for! So keen to help everyone to feel welcome, makes you feel brilliant.
    In terms of CPD, there is an endless selection of trainings, seminars, workshops, be it theoretical, technical, or personal development stuff.
    Also, brilliant affiliated facilities - FARR institute is only one - yet the best - example.

And gym is affordable for everyone, which is brilliant when you been sitting at your desk all day long ;-)

Cons

HR - as everywhere, here too HR has sometimes difficulties processing matters at desired speed. Always lovely when speaking to them but occasionally resolving issues may take a bit longer. As I said - any bigger organisation cons, I suppose?

Advice to Management

none I can think of, sorry

2. "Great working place"

Current Employee - Lecturer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at University of Edinburgh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, continuous education, family oriented, very stimulating from an intellectual point of view, among the top university in the UK. Good salary as well.

Cons

Actually not that many, I find progressing up the ladder is very difficult if not impossible. It is a stressful work environment, I am surrounded by several colleague having stress related health issues.... Maybe not related to the University directly but more to the type of job. Not sure.

Advice to Management

There is more and more modern teaching organisation (such as Udacity and Coursera), which could serious competitors within the next few years to some of the well established (expensive programs)...

3. "Paid in reputation, not cash."

Former Employee - Lecturer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Edinburgh, Scotland

Pros

It's a prestigious place, with lots to be proud of. The place has a lot of history behind it, so from that perspective it's a place that I'm proud to be associated with.

Cons

The pay is pretty poor compared to private sector and it's the very stereotype of a public sector business - an insane amount of bureaucracy and very poor management running the place. There's obviously a mass of brilliant minds in the education section, but unfortunately that doesn't extend to the management.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage