University of Edinburgh Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Edinburgh Reviews

Updated 20 June 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Focus on work life balance and gender equality" (in 15 reviews)

• "Good support system and atmosphere, great benefits, colleagues were very supportive of each other and flexible working hours" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Salary is skinny and career progression is limited" (in 6 reviews)

• "Low salary, but that is the nature of working with a start up" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Ok"

I have been working at University of Edinburgh part-time

Pros

Flexi-time, little supervision, some very good coworkers

Cons

individualistic, little opportunities for progression, not very supportive environment depending on the school.

2. "Science Researcher"

I have been working at University of Edinburgh full-time

Pros

A world renowed University in the heart of a wonderful city

Cons

Acedemic research careers are very competitive and hard to progress through.

3. "Data Analyst"

Pros

flexible working, no pressure, sometimes interesting work.

Cons

no career progression, limited team work

4. "A very good "European" university for employee, but not for international staff and with bad management"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at University of Edinburgh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

facilities and infrastructure are great

Cons

1. Bad support for staff with children. Whereas some other universities in England offer on-campus childcare, there is none here.

2. Very bad management among university non-academic departments to non-professor grade staff - I got my neck injuries which leads to serious dizziness and headache because of working too long on the computer. GP suggested me to ask occupational unit for a referral to physiotherapy. The occupational health unit only gave me a phone consultation with a bad attitude staff keep saying that it is my fault for hurting my neck myself of bad posture and they can't refer me to physiotherapy or any clinics. They said they will send someone to check my office desk at last after I begging for help, however, no one comes at last. And then i pay osteopath and acupuncture myself for treating my occupational problem. About a year later, a professor in my building got the same problem as mine, and he got excellent support from occupational health unit in a super efficient and nice way.

3. Race bias and even racism are quite often to non-local staff, management and non-academic staff don't really know how to communicate with international staff and always unwilling to offer assistant or help or show bad attitude.

4. Definitely, no career path for scientist unless you get a Nature/Science paper.
    Postdocs are being used as FREE tutors and said to be benefits for them to" gain teaching experience".

Advice to Management

1. Not everyone understand strong Scottish accent and the way of Scottish cultural or small talks. Staff should be trained to know there are different people in the world. (this problem won't happen in London)

2. Racism/bias are quite often to non-locals (even European) from professor grade to junior grade of local staff.

3. Please treat postdoc better, they are invaluable research staff who work overtime with low paid and only for interest and science. They deserve better support and care.

"Postdoctoral Research Associate"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at University of Edinburgh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big university, lots of cross-discipline collaboration opportunities.

Cons

Higher research leadership very narrow minded and completely lack ability to encourage younger research staff - unless you are in a "popular" lab. Its almost as if all these researchers left High school, but their "cool group" mentality still exists.

Advice to Management

Nothing they don't already know.

6. "Research Assistant"

I have been working at University of Edinburgh full-time

Pros

Diverse and Inspiring environment promoting teamwork

Cons

below expectation salary for the high standards of research required

7. "great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at University of Edinburgh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great place to work and learn at the same time

Cons

Busy and demanding job, can be hectic at times however overall its alright.

8. "Income Section"

I worked at University of Edinburgh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great development in the job

Cons

Changes is slow and complex management structure

Advice to Management

Try to expedite improvements and do away with hierarchy method of working.

9. "Scottish Gradute School of Social and Political Science"

I worked at University of Edinburgh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is not just one's person opinion so be wary.

Cons

I have been with a for under 2 years and during that time I have had 4 Directors and 2 Managers. Anyone reading current affairs headlines should understand what such a rapid rotation means for the administration. And talking of being managed by emotionally volatile people- expect being called and texted outside of office hours, being bullied, hearing racially ambivalent statements, having co-workers petted against each other on a daily basis. Shall I go on? Oh, ok then. Would you like to be asked to change your medical appointments from 9.45am to 4.30pm because that supposedly adheres to HR rules better? Would you like to be shouted at in front of other people for your manager’s mistakes? Would you like to feel completely alone in the abusive situation when you tell a director about multiple issues with your manager and being entirely blanked? Would you like to be asked to produce documents that your manager was asked to write for the meetings and never been given credit for your work? Would you like your personal and professional choices aggressively questioned in front of everyone? Would you like to say several times ‘please stop, this conversation is making me uncomfortable’ without a reaction? Would you like to work in a dark, cold and damp office with a window looking out onto a wall? Being repeatedly put between political games your seniors play? If you answer yes to any or all of these, go ahead and apply now!

Advice to Management

Performance review should apply to management just as it does to members of the team. Top heavy team- you don't need that many decision makers.

10. "MSc Course Demonstrator and Marker"

I have been working at University of Edinburgh part-time

Pros

Well paid. Comfortable working environment with students.

Cons

Limited working time and hours.