University of Glasgow Postdoctoral Fellow Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
University of Glasgow Chancellor Sir Kenneth Calman
Sir Kenneth Calman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good opportunities with a good work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Nice facilities, great swimming pool, fantastic location in the west end of Glasgow, plenty of cafes and pubs 5 mins walk (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I was told by my line manager that had I not been pregnant my contract would have been renewed (in 3 reviews)

• Remote location, not to many contacts with the main campus research groups (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great University"

Former Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Former Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow

I worked at University of Glasgow as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

equipment, international students, good university

Cons

some buildings could benefit of some refurbishment

"Renowned British University with archaic and incompetent HR department"

Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I am an American biomedical engineering PhD who was conducting my postdoctoral fellowship at the University. The quality of some of the research being done at this University is remarkable. The campus is absolutely gorgeous with its beautiful Gothic architecture. State of the art facilities for several engineering and biotech research areas.

Cons

The HR department screwed up my Visa paperwork such that my work Visa expired 1.5 months before my job actually ended. This made my life with the Border Agency a huge nightmare. Once I arrived, I waited nearly a month to get my key card credentials which I needed to actually be able to start working properly. It seemed like there was a lot of backhanded rivalry amongst PIs in the departments. I was not able to conduct the studies that I had planned to do due to bickering and fighting amongst grad students and post docs regarding who had seniority to acquire certain cells.

Advice to Management

It's difficult to make recommendations to management within university settings as it almost always seems like the people "calling the shots" are behind the curtain, like the Wizard of Oz. Certainly, though, the HR department could communicate much better than they do, hopefully preventing colossal screw-ups like my Visa situation in the future.