University of Leicester Teaching Fellow Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1. "Teaching Assistant"

Former Contractor - Teaching Fellow in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at University of Leicester for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with and, in College of Social Sciences, lots of opportunity to undertake critical research and teach critically. Teaching is well-supported by learning institute, if you want to develop too. Well-unionised in some departments and union has been able to negotiate good really workloads and rates of pay in those areas.

Cons

Sometimes felt like working inside Paul Boyle's personal vanity project; lots of unnecessary and ill-thought through restructures and threats of redundancy. The university leadership team seemed to have little understanding about what academic work entails and a very disposable attitude towards staff. When I was there, lots of teaching staff on casual contracts and employed through Unitemps. Work was well-paid in some areas and hideously underpaid in others and hours of pay didn't reflect the amount of prep work with things like divisional meetings not paid for. Also no resources for casual staff; desks, etc. Many of the best people I was working with left to work elsewhere. Some areas seem to lack a clear research identity, which I suspect affects their ability to secure external grants.

Continue reading
    University of Leicester2018-10-13

"Ok, but watch the students."

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Leicester, England

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Polite, quiet campus. Nice people, good range of services for staff.

Cons

Students have become increasingly demanding with the tuition fee increase and demand individual attention. At the slightest infraction they are content to go over your head and make you look bad. Staff are charged a premium for every service (clubs, sports + gym, food). Isolation and lack of communication are easy habits to pick up.

University of Leicester2016-05-29

University of Leicester Response

August 12, 2016Recruitment Partner

I guess students are an occupational hazard in this industry! Our students are at the heart of what we do and we are committed to ensuring that they receive the best possible educational support and experience.

Continue reading