University of Leicester "career progression" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Leicester Employee Reviews about "career progression"

Updated 28 Aug 2019

Found 125 reviews

4.2
University of Leicester CEO Lord Grocott
Lord Grocott
Cons

Reviews about "career progression"

Return to all Reviews

"No progression, no investment in staff"

I worked at University of Leicester full-time

Pros

Friendly place some nice managers who are genuine

Cons

Managers quick to take credit. No career progression past grade 5. Anyone who is anygood leaves. Senior managers many of them no team or even people skills. If bame no chance of going up the ladder.

University of Leicester2019-03-28
  2. "Best Job I Ever Had"

Former Employee - Principal Computer Officer in Leicester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at University of Leicester full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really nice working environment. Staff are helpful, friendly and respectful. Good secure employment. Very interesting work.

Cons

Salary isn't quite as competitive as can be obtained in industry. In the field I worked in there was limited scope for career progression after a certain level.

Advice to Management

Please hire me again.

University of Leicester2018-11-02
  3. "Residential advisor (campus services) The University of Leicester"

Current Employee - Residential Advisor in Leicester, England

I have been working at University of Leicester part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working hours, good pay, friendly staff, a big team in campus services but everyone is lovely.

Cons

There is not much room for career progression in the job. The shifts are late, 6-11pm.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I've really enjoyed my time here. Even the top management listen to you.

University of Leicester2018-02-08
  4. "Rotten to the core - Riddled with lies, corruption, deceit and extra-marrital affairs."

I worked at University of Leicester full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I hear the medication to treat work-related stress, anxiety and depression works wonders if you are a recreational drug-user.

Cons

Truly biblical amounts of malcious gossip, relentless back-stabbing, living under the constant fear of losing your job and risking your family and loved ones being smothered with a pillow in the middle of the night by an unknown hooded assailant. Career progression is only achieved through being related or 'affiliated' with someone already in the mythical realm of being above salary Grade 5.

Advice to Management

Keep it in your trousers, go home to your wives and children at night rather than jumping into bed with half the senior management team. Stop using your 'minions' as a whipping boys for your lack of man-management and people skills. Respect your employees, they are the ones who empty your bins, lock your door at night, wash your windows and cut the grass.

University of Leicester2014-10-21
  5. "Inspiring"

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Leicester, England

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leicester provides a flexible balanced workload, anice friendly atmostphere and great research opportunities. There are increasing interdisciplinary projects both within the university and with other universities in the UK and abroad. Leicester has a good environmental standard showing others the way forward. I have been working here for 3 years now while completing my PhD but before that I was a student for 4 years.... It is a great university and they cannot get rid of me!

Cons

There needs to be more opportunities for career progression of junoir staff members (such as myself) and a more rigourous mentoring system. It is easy, especially for graduate teaching assistants, to get lost and forgotten about.

Advice to Management

Career advice for junior staff who may consider becoming a lecturer should be provided as well as a better avenue to progress in your career without quitting and re applying.

University of Leicester2014-06-16
  6. "A Corrupt Horrible place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England

I worked at University of Leicester full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Facilities and front line collages alot of training and a nice student environment

Cons

Over baring ,uneducated, unresponsive and corrupt management. No equality within staff, more who you know than what you know and lots and lots of hearsay and un answered questions. No career progression or prospects.

Advice to Management

sack all of your Estates and security management and start again. Try not to be completely corrupt and treat staff as equals.

University of Leicester2014-05-27
  7. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Third Line IT Support in Leicester, England

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours and reasonable management demands meant very little stress overall. Good opportunities for studying and developing further expertise. Decent pay.

Cons

Slow moving - career progression opportunities can be few and far between. It probably speaks good about the job that people at grade 8 and higher rearely leave, but the down side is at the lower levels career progression is near impossible regardless of performance.

University of Leicester2013-11-23