Found 40 of over 416 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "No career progression past grade 5. Anyone who is anygood leaves." (in 7 reviews)
- "awful management." (in 7 reviews)
- "Very poor HR, senior management are overly political, too many incompetent managers that make life miserable for subordinates" (in 6 reviews)
- "For the number of students that I taught, I do not think the salary was enough,maybe the university is only hood for part tome jobs no offence" (in 6 reviews)
- "Poor management skills, managers not communicating very well" (in 3 reviews)
Reviews about "management"Return to all Reviews
- 1.04 Oct 2017Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 3 years
Staff below senior management level are generally lovely.
Senior management team is exceptionally poorSenior management team is exceptionally poorSenior management team is exceptionally poor. Communication is inconsistent, strategy is confused and implemented with little understanding or competence. The chaotic and increasingly cutthroat culture which has been created is unpleasant and completely unnecessary. Staff are left floundering by constant upheaval and changes in direction, making it almost impossible to complete even the most basic tasks. Experienced and knowledgeable staff are leaving in their droves only to be replaced by temporary/agency staff on minimum wage.3
- 1.01 Nov 2020Research AdministratorFormer Employee, less than 1 year
- Flexible working - Seniors might like you if you work like a robot above and beyond your working hours and promote you if you are lucky. - Research administrator jobs always advertised regularly as people come and then leave within a few months of working at the unit.
- Extremely toxic place to work - Pay is rubbish (Grade 3) - Trial managers are very ungrateful and unappreciative for any good work you do and will criticise where they possibly can to stop your progression - The unit is stingy and in order to save money they will employee one research administrator who is expected to work under 2/3 trial managers. Therefore the administrator will be under enormous pressure to complete all the tasks delegated by the managers working above them. This is not made obvious in the interview. It is totally not worth it as it is a Grade 3 job! - Dirty politics and harassment takes place behind closed doors -Senior management team have their favourites. Therefore complaining to them is useless because they will not understand or take any appropriate action. Ultimately you will end up looking for another job and leaving the unit.1
- 1.08 Dec 2017Associate LecturerCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsLeicester, England
None that I can think of
This review is to flag up that Leicester were recently told by the ASA that they were not allowed to claim they were in the top 1% worldwide. However, they are still using this on their advertising header on this site. Also, please note that many of the reviews are written by students, about their student jobs (student ambassador; football activator whatever that means; etc.). The reviews from academics are rather less positive to say the least. The main problem is that the management are very poor. Their recent attempts to fire whole departments has backfired and now they are picking off people individually. However, they have unfortunately selected the hardest working people (who have not had time to work on their grants and research) to subject to 'performance management'. Oh dear. These hard working individuals will likely leave, and the University will be very much the worse off.6
- 2.08 May 2014ResearcherCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsLeicester, England
Good academics and students. Facilities good. Good gym and arts centre. Reputation of university has risen. Nice people to work with.
Senior management is very poor. They don't seem to empathise with those who have to deliver - the admin people are very stressed and this is shown by the numbers off with stress and the high staff turnover. HR and research finance are particularly bad. There are quite high levels of demoralisation. The university management simply seems to be driven by money. Old-fashioned values of public and community service are ignored.1
- 3.026 Sept 2015Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
There were generally good colleagues who generally pulled their weight. The support staff were generally very good and friendly. The facilities, particularly the library, were very good.
Towards the end there was some pressure from upper management who barely knew or appreciated what I did. The IT services was particularly bad, although that improved later on. The bureaucracy.
- 4.09 May 2014Marketing AssistantCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearLeicester, England
Comfortable professional environment with proper management structure. This is place is big thumbs up form my side. I would always recommend them.
Most of time is very nice environment but it still needs improvement in few places. There is some favouritism given of certain placements.