University of Lincoln Reviews

Updated Jan 20, 2022

Found 96 of over 109 reviews

4.0
University of Lincoln  Vice Chancellor Mary Stuart (no image)
Mary Stuart
Pros
  • "Good pay, helpful mentors, fun working(in 5 reviews)

• "The pay for administration staff at the University of Lincoln is very competitive to many other organisations in(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "no budget or incentive for research(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,873

959 Comments

Teachers

140.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=University of Lincoln~665429
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great

Dec 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, good development and salary

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

2. 4.0

Good Job while a student

Jan 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours while studying for my degree

Cons

I have no cons to give

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Lecturer

Dec 23, 2021 - Teaching Abd Research in Lincoln, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly colleagues and supervisors . Decent students. Rising ranking.

Cons

Some IT issues and estate support take time to response night due to Covid

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A nice place to work for research-active staff

Dec 15, 2021 - Associate Professor in Lincoln, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work in the College of Science on a teaching and research contract (permanent). I've had a permanent position at a previous institution (tier 1 research university overseas), and post-docs. I moved to the University of Lincoln for family reasons. I know a lot of other researchers at other institutions in the UK and overseas, so this review is comparative. So that readers can estimate how I value various aspects of my position, I should state that I view both research and teaching as equally important parts of an academic's job, but I am more accomplished as a researcher than as a teacher - for example, I have several 4* research outputs and have won major grants. The third role for academics, that of academic administration, I dislike and would rather spend my time on teaching and research. -= Balance between teaching and research =- This varies between schools within the college. At my school it is broadly in line with my previous institution (approximately 10% higher). Unlike my previous institution, academics here in my school seem to really care about teaching well, which is wonderful. There is friendship and mutual support between academics, and frequent interaction between the students and the academics. Although the number of contact hours is comparable with my previous institution, the hours here are more enjoyable - almost half are spent small group/tutorial teaching and supervising projects, which I prefer to lecturing. The university is quite prone to following the latest fads in pedagogy, which in my opinion usually impede good teaching and create a significant bureaucratic burden on academics. Fortunately, it appears to me that as long as a school is teaching "well" (which of course means scoring well in the NSS) the university is happy on the whole to let the school's director of teaching interpret how strictly these fads are followed. In my school we have an excellent director of teaching, who works closely with the students to make sure their needs are met, and so we are largely protected from too much pointless bureaucracy. On the whole I enjoy teaching at the University of Lincoln, and I don't feel that teaching encroaches significantly on my research time. If I won the lottery, I would ask only for a 1 course teaching load reduction. -= Academic administration =- This is higher than my previous institution, and higher than other UKHEI's in my subject. It is high because the College of Science is relatively new, the university is ambitious but relatively inexperienced at responding to government targets and so tends to overreact to them, and because our school is small so everyone ends up with a big administrative role. -= Work-life balance =- This is where the University of Lincoln scores exceptionally well. The city of Lincoln is beautiful. It has a medieval centre with a huge cathedral, and two large parks ("commons") that are full of horses. Family houses are affordable in safe neighbourhoods near the centre and the commons, meaning you can walk to work, walk to the city centre for shopping, and walk to a common, with each being less than a 10 minute walk. The university is in the centre of the city, set around an attractive marina. There are good schools near to the university. Lincoln is about 2 hours from London by train, and is commutable from Nottingham. -= Job security and career opportunities =- The university appears to be financially stable, even after covid. Certainly I've not heard any rumours of problems now, or in the foreseeable future. Mary Stuart (our previous VC who just retired) was excellent, and made a point during covid of prioritising everyone keeping their jobs. The university have been good about promoting me, but I have heard that it is difficult to be promoted above senior lecturer without a big grant.

Cons

-= Salary =- This is below the sector average. Because the cost of living is lower in Lincoln (e.g. nice houses are approx. half the price they would be in the South East), it is not something I particularly noticed. Despite the lower salary, my disposable income went up when I moved here. -= Some levels of senior management =- This is a new university, trying to take on some of the Russel Group. This means senior management are often pushing schools quite hard with targets. There is also a lack of experience among some levels of senior management about how best to achieve their aims. For example, significant grants are won by people with established research track records, and so if the university wants to win big grants they need to protect the research time of their academics and wait several years; they need to provide money so that people can start labs, or travel to conferences. This increase in grants can't be achieved simply by imposing targets on schools for the number of grants applied for. I should add that since I joined, there have been significant positive moves within senior management towards trying to listen to views like the one expressed her, so the university appears for now to be moving in the right direction. -= Bureaucratic burden =- This is a new university, with many non-academic staff tasked with improving various metrics (all of which require academic time) and students (who require academic time). The result is a large time burden on academics. It is not, at the moment, excessive, but the university will need to monitor this quite closely.

Continue reading
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Project

Nov 9, 2021 - Staff
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Lincoln is nice place to live in, friendly staff - Excellent in teaching

Cons

Must work on staff engagement in action not on paper

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Professional and Inclusive

Nov 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Professional, inclusive, friendly, vibrant, dynamic

Cons

Busy, ever-changing, leadership, communication, parking

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

Nov 2, 2021 - Contracts Officer in Lincoln, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Benefits, Environment and the People

Cons

Slow pace compared to industry

8. 4.0

Adequate

Nov 1, 2021 - Student Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quick responses, adequate actions taken

Cons

often staff will disregard criticisms

9. 4.0

Lincoln

Nov 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good manager. That is all for now

Cons

Not a lot, doing this for the registration

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Incompetent management

Dec 4, 2021 - Senior PR Officer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some nice colleagues (although they tend to leave very quickly), good annual leave provision.

Cons

Absolutely incompetent management within CDM who make it clear they don't understand the most basic of marketing functions and will make your life a living hell if you dare to question them. If you value your career or mental health I would advise against working here. Senior leaders take no action against a department lead who is known to behave inappropriately with staff and couldn't manage her way out of a paper bag. The department is led by people who consider themselves experts at marketing and PR, despite not having the faintest idea of how it works or what best practice is. Staffing the department is now a huge problem because of the reputation it has, and it's propped up by agency staff to fill in the gaps. Run.

Continue reading