University of Liverpool Employee Reviews about "liverpool"

Updated Oct 22, 2021

Found 18 of over 526 reviews

4.3
University of Liverpool President of the Council David McDonnell (no image)
David McDonnell
Pros
  • "friendly supportive and good pay(in 24 reviews)

• "Nice research environment and the life in Liverpool is quite good(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Further examples of poor management:(in 9 reviews)

• "Leadership are too focused on making company structural changes without thinking of impacts to students and lecturers(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Teachers

169.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=University of Liverpool~35513
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "liverpool"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Nice research environment

May 26, 2021 - Lecturer in Liverpool, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice research environment and the life in Liverpool is quite good.

Cons

There is no promotion plan released since the pandemic started.

2. 3.0
      Current Employee

SalRy

Oct 22, 2021 - Administrator in Liverpool, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work in liverpool

Cons

No cons to working for there

3. 2.0

A typical university

Oct 12, 2021 - Technician in Liverpool, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Location in the centre of Liverpool

Cons

Poor management, poor infrastructure, lack of support

Continue reading
    4. 1.0

Low pay - Poor Senior management

Sep 23, 2021 - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Liverpool, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Liverpool as a city is cheap

Cons

Low pay, too much work, the Uni cannot afford too many things so it's mostly underwhelming what it offers when compared to other Unis in benefits, training, facilities, equipment, office spaces etc

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Arbitrary sackings – be warned (and join a union)!

Aug 4, 2021 - Research Contracts Officer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I moved to Liverpool for my job at the university; I had three other job offers, so this was a genuine choice. Liverpool as a city is great, and the university is in a good location, I liked the gym and pool and general surroundings, and there was a lively programme of activities. Connecting remotely during the COVID lockdown was relatively smooth, the computers we were issued were good spec and we could get equipment as needed. Our offices were in a magnificent old Victorian hospital building, with a massive amount of space, big desks, opening windows and controllable radiators – all of which are increasingly rare luxuries as offices these days go. My colleagues were genuinely nice, supportive people, there were no office politics in the team I worked in. I dealt with contracts from all departments, and so got to learn about a great variety of research. Some of the academics were really nice people. It felt like somewhere you can belong, and enjoy belonging.

Cons

There is a feudal attitude towards staff amongst the upper levels of management and the more arrogant academics. Any workplace has its share of overly-entitled senior personnel, but a decent one will have set procedures and policies to ensure that any complaints about lower-level staff are investigated and dealt with in a fair manner, and management (where appropriate) will have your back. Liverpool is not a decent one. I was happy enough working in my role for the University of Liverpool, and feedback from my development review, colleagues and metrics indicated that I was doing well. In roles previous and subsequent to Liverpool, I have been told that my work was excellent, and I progressed quickly. However, at Liverpool, out of the blue one day, I was informed by my manager, in an undocumented/unrecorded meeting (i.e. I had no chance to prepare or make a record or get a companion) that the university wanted me to ‘resign’ by the end of the week, or my employment would be terminated. Apparently a very senior academic had taken exception to having been told that he would have to wait 2 weeks for a detailed response from me (just as all other academics had to wait, as the department was short staffed), complained to very senior management, and they decided to placate him by disposing of me. As I had worked less than 2 years for Liverpool, this is (shockingly) legal in English law. There was no gross misconduct, no concerns raised about my competency, no competency review, absolutely no following of HR policies and procedures. Even worse, my union rep was told things by the university HR and management which were completely untrue about what had happened and what I had said, which was downright disturbing. My colleagues were shocked, my union rep was disbelieving and everyone I discussed it with was aghast. It turns out that three or four other people had left my department ‘suddenly’ in as many years, and I was told that several remaining team members had experienced threats and shoddy treatment of a similar nature by management. (If it could happen to them, it could happen to anyone. If this happens to you, you can feel as if you are going mad, and this is why I strongly recommend that if you take up a role at Liverpool, you join a union - the union support I received was invaluable.) Sudden departures are not normal in this field of work (I have worked for several other universities in a similar role). This strongly suggests that there are deep seated issues in the way that problems are dealt with, and that they are avoided rather than resolved, and that all levels of management tolerate this state of affairs. Conversely, I understand my predecessor had ‘given up’ working and spent several months messing up work before the substandard performance was detected and addressed and the person moved on. Further examples of poor management: - incompetence and insecurity displayed by veering wildly between micromanagement and a laissez-faire ‘sort it out yourself’ attitude. - Acceptance of minimal IT skills – when we were in the office, everything was done on paper, forms had to be printed out. My manager didn’t seem to understand how to use a basic Excel spreadsheet. - Dubious metrics – the success of the team was measured using metrics which failed to take into account the true nature of the work, and led to distortion of priorities. The tail was wagging the dog. - The system for allocating work was unbelievably backward and repetitive, it involved it filtering through the manager on a weekly basis, and often sending arbitrary emails to another department. - Excessive meetings – It was expected that several team members would attend the same meetings, often the meetings were irrelevant. There was no mechanism to let people attend relevant parts of meetings. - Chronic short staffing – job ads went out after colleagues had left, after a struggle to get them approved by senior management, rather than at the point that they handed in their notice. Surely a notice period is supposed to enable a replacement to be found in good time? - Management happy to accept half-baked ideas and proposals from senior academics/management and for staff to spend vast amounts of time and energy trying to force them into a form that would work, with minimal acknowledgement that this had knock-on effects for standard work completion. Other cons: The university took several months to pay back my relocation expenses, and then only after I got my union involved, leaving me struggling financially. No apology, no covering of the interest costs that I had accrued due to this. The structure was almost flat – one manager (although another one was clearly needed), some senior officers, and the junior ones. No real scope for progression. There seemed to be no decent provision of information to academics about the processes that my department undertook, the timescales, the information required, the limits of what we could/couldn’t do. This led to a lot of confusion and irritation amongst academics keen to get their work off the ground. In the past year, academics have been taking strike action due to redundancies and the way they have been handled, so it looks as if the contemptuous attitude of the university towards its employees straddles both the academic and professional services sections. You have been warned!

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing place to be

Dec 4, 2020 - Student Ambassador in Liverpool, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff at the University of Liverpool absolutely love what they do. My role was to give presentations to prospective students at Open Days. I found that my public speaking and confidence improved massively as a result.

Cons

There aren't any that spring to mind.

7. 4.0

Comfortable but not sociable

Oct 7, 2020 - PhD Student in Liverpool, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The cost of living in Liverpool is cheap hence you will have plenty of disposable income

Cons

The work life balance can be a challenge

8. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good place to live

Jan 14, 2020 - PhD Student
      Business Outlook

Pros

Liverpool is great with good people and cheap

Cons

Poor resource Costly intradepartment resource usage

9. 5.0

Great company and fun

Nov 8, 2019 - Outreach Assistant in Liverpool, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Such good experience for students in liverpool

Cons

Not regular enough would be great if more shifts

10. 5.0

One happy camper

Oct 1, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Attentive and friendly staff alongside world class research especially in Life sciences has made my time at Liverpool very enjoyable.

Cons

Very little; the amount of exams my course had last year was a bit silly and I don't believe it represents my full capabilities in the subjects (80% exam, 20% coursework, maybe 60/40? A bit too unforgiving!)

Continue reading