University of Manchester Lecturer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Manchester Chancellor Tom Bloxham
Tom Bloxham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some of the Principal Investigators do not spend as much time with their PhD students as they perhaps should (in 5 reviews)

• Hours worked are quite long, find it hard to concentrate when hours are so long (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place for study and reserach."

Current Employee - Lecturer
    Current Employee - Lecturer

I have been working at University of Manchester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

world class people and facilities. Good environment.

Cons

Probably salary wise could be more competitive.

"Decent wage but little mobility / advancement opportunities"

Former Contractor - Lecturer in Manchester, England

I worked at University of Manchester as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

-prestige of working at one of the UK's largest, most endowed, and diverse universities
    -a lot of flexibility and independence
    -focus on improving LGBT and women of colour representation
    -significant opportunities to improve programs

Cons

-low mobility and salary promotion
    -difficult to access performance metrics / evaluations
    -difficult to be recognised and when recognised it is at the program level, rather than individual
    -starting to go the way of US academia: low wages for non-permanent staff, refusal to make jobs permanent, little opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

Universities are not businesses and should not be run with a focus on profit or 'consumer' ratings, even under this government.
    It is impossible for an early career academics to pursue their own research (which you consistently emphasise when we seek to advance to a higher level) when we are not paid for 4 months of the year (2, 4-month contracts annually); early career researchers require investment in our career development, not to be left to our own devices or 'market ourselves' to accept more and more short-term, contracts

3. "Great staff, great location, bad time for higher ed."

Former Contractor - Lecturer in Manchester, England

I worked at University of Manchester as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

The lecturers and researchers are fantastic - really world class people. The environment is very collegial and a good place to begin collaborative projects.

Cons

There is little, if any, administrative support at the departmental level. There is equal pressure to publish and to score highly on the NSS, leading to competing objectives and stressed out staff members. Decisions from the top seem far removed from day to day activities on the ground.

Advice to Management

Allow the experts at the departmental level more autonomy. The advantage of hiring very clever people is that they can be trusted to teach well and manage their own staff...