University of Manchester Student Ambassador Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Tom Bloxham
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some of the Principal Investigators do not spend as much time with their PhD students as they perhaps should (in 5 reviews)

• Hours worked are quite long, find it hard to concentrate when hours are so long (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great part-time perks for students"

Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Manchester, England

I have been working at University of Manchester part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The university has great part-time opportunities for current students that fit around your schedule. You can choose from a variety of work such as tour leading, mentoring, packaging and posting, or managing the reception. You could also try out the Students' union roles such as bartending. Overall there are plenty of opportunities and you will get by just fine provided you are willing.

An additional benefit of choosing the student ambassador work is that the community is quite friendly. Imagine a group of 500 students working together to set up and run an open day, everyone is as energetic as you and you have good fun.

Cons

The only down-side of working in this role is that you may not get work all the time. Unlike other part-time jobs where you can set out certain time of the day to work, the student ambassador work is highly varied. One has to apply to each opportunity individually, and there is no guarantee that you will get it. Although, I have been able to get work more often than not.

2. "Student ambassador"

Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Manchester, England

Pros

Variety of roles to work for which expands your work experience. There is a lot of flexibility around the job too.

Cons

It can be competitive to get tasks, and there aren't always jobs to do when you are available for work. There is not a regular stream of income

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Try to give opportunities to all the ambassadors rather than just the experienced ones. All the best.

3. "Student Ambassador"

Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Manchester, England

Pros

provides opportunity to learn, with opportunity to take on different roles either leading or as part of a team.
    great learning experience

Cons

not enough working hours for someone who wants to work more hours to earn more.
    no benefits whatsoever and you are limited to just a few roles

5. "Worked as a student ambassador for a year"

Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Manchester, England

I worked at University of Manchester part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was provided with loads of opportunities to work on different projects and campaigns. All the staffs were very friendly and supportive when I have questions from work. I've learnt many transferable soft skills that I can't learn from class rooms.

Cons

I can't think of any cons of my work at Manchester. Even the pay was good.

Advice to Management

Culture was great. You control your own work-life balance.
    You only need to wear student ambassador hoodies when you are working outside meeting people directly. When I worked on other back-office roles, I could wear what I like

6. "Student Ambassador"

Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Manchester, England

I worked at University of Manchester part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to earn money as a student
    Staff and students value you within the role
    Great pay and training

Cons

The work is seasonal and mostly based around welcome and orientation weeks
    Potential for lots of time spent outside, especially on open days when manchester rain isn't welcome!

7. "A great place to work and interact with people."

Current Intern - Student Ambassador in Manchester, England
    Current Intern - Student Ambassador in Manchester, England

I have been working at University of Manchester as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff. Good pay. Events of all types.

Cons

There aren't any promotions or that many jobs available for ambassadors.

8. "Convenient part time job with very flexible hours helping as a Student Ambassador"

Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Manchester, England

I have been working at University of Manchester part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly flexible hours, competitive rate of pay, a 'customer' facing job which gives a feeling of satisfaction when you have helped to give people access to vital information that could shape the rest of their future.

Cons

The only real con to the job is that the University are not obliged to give you any hours and if you have a requirement for a lot of hours, this would not be suitable. On the other hand, if like me you need flexibility, this is a pro because you don't have to work at all if you don't want to work any shifts.