University of North Carolina Research Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Research Specialist

3.9
Margaret Spellings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great work-life balance, flexibility in scheduling to honor student schedules (in 24 reviews)

• The work environment is intellectually stimulating (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for teaching fellows/contract (in 17 reviews)

• University gives little to no oversight or support for higher level courses compared to what is available for entry level courses (in 9 reviews)

1. "Make on-boarding a better experience"

Current Employee - Research Specialist
    Current Employee - Research Specialist

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, access to all the perks that come with academic employment and a .edu email address.

Cons

On-boarding procedures vary from department to department, but some STEM schools/departments have little to no process in place.

Advice to Management

Work on getting staff to know each other and promote work-life balance.

2. "Great place to work with high standards and freedom to do your job"

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits of the position were great. The support staff was helpful and this allowed me to do my job with minimal administrative headaches. Facilities were well kept. Busy work was kept to a minimum.

Cons

Parking is a hassle. Constant new construction. Not much room for advancement in my position. Not as high paying as some research jobs.

3. "Research Specialist"

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina (More than 8 years)

Pros

state retirement benefits, health insurance, one free course per semester.

Cons

parking is difficult (parking in a remote lot with infrequent access during the day), they will not pay you according to how good you are at your job, you will only get a raise because of how long you have been there.

Advice to Management

value hard work and talent

5. "Academic Research"

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A chance to do interesting work with interesting people. Good benefits.

Cons

The pay is much lower than in industry. Raises at the whim of state government. Very difficult to get a promotion unless you change positions. The support positions don't reward for experience. There seems to be a high turnover in faculty lately, probably due to the low pay and no research funding support.

6. "Good experience at UNC as a research technician and a lab manager"

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employment security, good benefits including a decent health insurance.I find the atmosphere to be friendly and collaborative and have no complaints about the the PIs that I have worked for.

Cons

UNC is a public school and the staff are state employees. As state's budget was being cut during the crisis, so were our benefits and in some instances salaries. We have not had a meaningful legislative increase in salary for at least 4 years.

Advice to Management

I think upper management needs to do a better job making sure salaries stay competitive even if legislature is not increasing them.

"Decent benefits, underpaid, underappreciated"

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Pros

It can be a good place to start your career if you have limited job experience. Decent benefits package and educational opportunities. Relatively good job security.

Cons

There are not a lot of opportunities for upward mobility within the sciences here. PhDs are valued much more highly than Bachelors degrees. Poor financial compensation versus private industry.

Advice to Management

I think the university leadership is doing about the best they can within their budgetary limitations. I do believe that the pay disparity between staff and tenured professors is ridiculous.

"Dedication, long unexpected hours to porr management for low pay and no advancement."

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Pros

To be in a background chocked full of research ideas and with others that enjoy the venture of scientific inquiry.

Cons

The pay is awefull and does not support a family well. No checks and balances on supervision so some supervisors are great while the others that are not never get any better as there are no incentives.

Advice to Management

HR should evaluate employee happiness using a venue such as this.