University of North Carolina Student Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
Margaret Spellings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay for teaching fellows/contract (in 18 reviews)

• University gives little to no oversight or support for higher level courses compared to what is available for entry level courses (in 9 reviews)

1. "One of the Best Working Environments"

Former Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the campus and facilities; cost of living is inexpensive and you can enjoy your time after work and weekends without worry.

Cons

Academia is governed by funding and changing research priorities, so change is inevitable.

2. "DHRE Student Office Assistant at UNC"

Former Employee - Student Office Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Student Office Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina (More than a year)

Pros

Supervisors all value being students first so they are very understanding about scheduling and overcoming conflicts.

Cons

Sometimes we were understaffed because student's schedules left gaps in office hour availability. Then other times, we were overstaffed and students didn't get as many hours as they wanted.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow students to have flexibility in their schedules. Also, continue to encourage students to reach for higher positions within DHRE.

3. "Working at UNC Chapel Hill School of Medicine"

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Pros

Great environment for research, Many collaborations available for basic science research, translational research (with UNC Hospital Faculties), and interdisciplinary collaborations between labs in the school of Medicine, school of Pharmacy and school of Public Health.

Cons

Depending on the principal investigator, the workload can be heavy. In order to succeed in science at the highest level, you need both luck and hard work.

Advice to Management

Great career if you are passionate in doing science research.

5. "Great place to work as a student."

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Student Jobs are structured to work well with Students' schedules.
    Very flexible
    Full time employees and managers who are seeking student assistants are usually cool and down to earth.

Cons

None really.

Pay can be low for some positions but I was really satisfied with what I was making.

Advice to Management

Nothing really.

6. "research assistance"

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great university for metrology research work

Cons

there is no cons about the program

7. "Great place to work"

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay depending on which department you are working for, good atmosphere as well

Cons

As with any job, the pay could always be better and it's difficult to know where you stand after applying for a job opening because there is no update on position after the closing date.

Advice to Management

Offer the ability to be updated of open position status

8. "Easy work, upward momentum unlikely."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Assistant - Student in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Assistant - Student in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job was simple. The university gives you clear cut instructions on what is and is not part of your job parameters. Learned a lot under my boss there, and most folks were fairly friendly and able to give a helping hand.

Cons

That being said, it was frustrating when there was a problem I could fix but wasn't allowed to fix it due to being worried about stepping on other's toes. If you're fine with that, great place to work.

Advice to Management

Cross train as much as possible for different roles.

9. "A typical graduate student experience"

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just like other PhD student salary, at least in the bio area. You can live ok with the stipend in chapel hill area.
    The TIBBS often send out "Jobs, Postdocs, and Other Opportunities" emails to students and post-docs.

Cons

Benefit sucks, insurance package is not good. Not just the RA/TA insurance, my staff friends/coworkers told me their previous jobs provide much better benefit and insurance package.

10. "Quality university with an abundance of resources"

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

From a scientific research standpoint, there are many quality researchers and opportunities for collaboration. The facilities are high quality. Basically anything you need you can find somewhere on campus.

Cons

Transportation can be quite an issue. At peak times, the small roads in and out are extremely congested. Parking is horrendous compared to my former university. They are working on expanding garages, but it will still be an issue.

11. "Flexible job while as an undergraduate, great people"

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with class schedule, opportunities to try new things and gain skills

Cons

Unless you ask for some clear responsibilities and project work, it's hard to market the skills you've gained in this job after you graduate.

Advice to Management

Give student assistants the opportunity to gain real skills. Let them see the results of their work so that it can be used after they graduate.