University of Nottingham "academics" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Nottingham Employee Reviews about "academics"

Updated 20 Sep 2018

4.1
University of Nottingham Vice-Chancellor Professor Shearer West  (no image)
Professor Shearer West
Pros
Cons
  • "Career progression may not be clear(in 11 reviews)

• "The ongoing pensions dispute amongst academics makes one doubt whether there is a stable future in public research(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "academics"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A pleasant place to work, as long as money is not your sole motivation."

Current Employee - Doctoral Researcher in Nottingham, England

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed work environment Helpful input from supervisors/colleagues Good social environment Opportunity for travel

Cons

The ongoing pensions dispute amongst academics makes one doubt whether there is a stable future in public research.

University of Nottingham2018-09-20
  2. "Disorganised"

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good and interesting research projects

Cons

Disorganised, not helpful, some academics could be more friendly and less rude

University of Nottingham2018-02-06

"Non academic"

I worked at University of Nottingham part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, interesting work, very varied.

Cons

Academics can view other staff as worthless and convey severe arrogance. There isn't a lot of drive or energy amongst support staff

University of Nottingham2017-11-09

"the idiots are winning......."

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People who are not full of site or are useless at their role stand out ! Beyond the usual perks of working in higher education I can find nothing else that distinguish's Nottingham.

Cons

Cynical attitude by many academics, APM/managers inept, income oriented environment has allowed standards to slide.

University of Nottingham2017-04-28
  5. "PhD Researcher (Optics)"

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time

Pros

Various research opportunities. There are many research groups that enjoy sufficient funding. Flexible working hours. No one asks when you came and when you left as long as you finish the job Friendly colleagues

Cons

Too much politics. Different academics might have had disagreements in the past and you feel sometimes you need to take sides. Not all the labs are sufficiently equipped

University of Nottingham2017-01-25

"Its flaws are probably typical of universities."

I worked at University of Nottingham part-time

Pros

Lots of smart, pleasant, interesting colleagues and students around. Decent facilities for socialising after work (decent enough bars). Beautiful campus.

Cons

The university is increasingly a corporate entity, amassing large amounts of money and failing to invest them in quality research (in the Humanities at least) or education. Postgraduate students are recrutied with enthusiasm and then exploited as underpaid, underemployed 'casual' members of staff. Administrative departments are given too much power over research and education departments. Security can be absurd at times, high-tech teaching rooms are left empty and underused. This is probably what it is like at most universities, but the levels of waste, disorganisation and the flight of top academics to other institutions is depressing to watch.

University of Nottingham2016-05-31

"Strengths but also weaknesses and poor practice"

Former Employee - Lecturer in Nottingham, England

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In many ways they are a great employer. Good campus, beautiful buildings, obvious investment in key areas. Good communications to staff and development centre/learning and good at technology enhanced learning plans.

Cons

Bullying cultures exist, particularly in some schools including the one I worked in and this gets covered up. Too much bending from pressure from students and not supporting academic decisions and parity amongst all. Too much focus on research and in some schools teaching seen as a second class, rather than where most income comes from. Poor leadership in the school I worked in.I am all for not having a divide between academic and admin staff, but, in SON particularly this is taken to the extreme and there is too much management from that side making academic decisions and undermining academics. Thats not balance. It should be collaborative. I found you were fine if your face fitted and this could swap and change at quick speed.

University of Nottingham2016-04-27
  8. "Administrator"

Former Employee - Postgraduate Administrator in Nottingham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time for less than a year

Pros

The University is like any HE environment, great annual leave entitlement, the opportunity to attend lots of development training and generally a nice working environment. I was very grateful to have worked under one of the best managers at the entire place where I felt listened to, appreciated and was encouraged to try new things and develop. The university is blessed with three absolutely gorgeous campuses that include a punting lake, lots of geese and trees galore! It's hard to imagine that the University could be (with the exception of Sutton Bonnington) so centrally located.

Cons

With regard to admin, the university is going through a massive restructuring, which should hopefully mean eventually there are better systems in place in the near future, but at the moment there is a lot of uncertainty with staff and I imagine that to enter now the environment now might feel a little hectic. Morale can be quite low at times, and there is a clear divide in some departments between academics and administration staff.

University of Nottingham2016-04-20

"Nothing special..."

Current Employee - Research Fellow in Nottingham, England

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a relaxed environment, and living in Nottingham is quite easy! The campus is good and there are some good companies funding research projects.

Cons

I find it is a typical university. Research funding is quite focused on getting as many PhD students as you can. I have found that technicians, admin staff and academics are quite separated, and this makes things uncomfortable sometimes.

University of Nottingham2016-02-06

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews