University of Westminster Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Geoff Petts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Catering Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at University of Westminster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Work ethics and colleagues, great environment to work.

Cons

Being managed better after a very long wait.

2. "A kind place with a few challenges"

I worked at University of Westminster part-time

Pros

A creative environment with some very lovely people. The pay and free time are generous, and depending on the department you work in, the job can be quite dynamic and fast-paced.

Cons

I have to admit that it's not a very well-oiled machine. Years of issues at the executive level has made the environment generally quite demotivating and depressing for some. The place is undergoing some crucial restructuring so I'm excited to see where it goes in the future.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more, ask for some honest advice, don't run before you walk, and focus on assuring the quality of your teaching and research more than anything.

"NEVER WORK HERE, it’s long but please read for your benefit"

Former Employee - Course Administrator
    Former Employee - Course Administrator

I worked at University of Westminster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location
    Near Oxford Circus and Bond Street and many train stations

Cons

There has been a major restructuring of the University because of terrible and poor financial decisions. They had to fire over 100 people, many who voluntarily left. And so many competent people left, those are needed to help the University, with so many incompetent ones left behind. This is mainly because they’ve been here so long they can’t do anything else. They got stuck in a dead end job and have pretty much learnt nothing. The amount of times my work was delegated to others on my annual leave instead of who I wanted it to go too because I knew they would be a better job instead, went to the incompetent staff. Even though they had been working there so long, they surprisingly knew nothing. When you told them how to do something they would be defensive and get it wrong. They literally have had no development or learnt anything since starting here many years ago. They get start working the same thing all the time, never offering help, never asking for more, doing as little as possible to get by and get paid. It’s a joke.

Since the restructuring, the environment of the place has been uncomfortable. The colleagues I remain friends with have said there is so much upheaval and tension. New staff get taken advantage of. This happened to me when I started and throughout the time I was there. My workload increased and increased with no thank yous or bonuses or appreciation whilst the other staff who had been there longer got nothing and had their minimal work. My boss seemed the think that any wrong move would upset them and they would want to leave. That’s not how it should work. If they can’t do the job they shouldn’t be there, especially when they contribute to nothing.

There is no team spirit or team work. There is also so much favouritism and this is based on being friends for so long. My boss was great friends with 3 colleagues and they always took advantage and she let them. She pretty much let them talk and gossip all day long and get paid for doing so. Whereas the rest of us would work ourselves so hard we would tire ourselves out. Boss had no appreciation what so ever. And when you were at anotehr campus she wouldn’t constantly phone you because she didn’t trust you could do your job properly when she had no idea to do it herself. The amount of times she has made terrible mistakes and has impacted the customer service negatively is a joke. We have had to cover for her and fix her mistakes, and you still get the blame.

Management are negative and need to be replaced. Not only that, but there is so much bullying and backstabbing. And most of it comes from those scare you, but when challenged play it off innocently. HR believe the words of those who portray themselves as victims and therefore believe nobody else. It’s three word against there’s even without any proof. They only need to believe 30% of what a person says WITHOUT proof and that’s ground for punishment. If a lawyer was involved they would be laughing.

I have had to witness so much of this rubbish and horrible behaviour coming from people who have stated they want to kill the customers, and then play it innocent to get the rest of the team in trouble.

There is so much jealousy and lies it’s hard to keep a track of it all. Trust if lacking especially when management. Boss was worried her favourite staff would leave because of too much work, well I left because working there was a disgrace with no appreciation of what you do. I watched 2 more people leave because they hated it and the boss wondered why they left. She still thinks it was about them when it was really about the horrible work environment and herself. You aren’t rewarded for hard work but instead criticised for helping and trying. Staff are treated poorly and nothing is being done about it.

All that money wasted and they had to fire people? So much was spent on the academics taking advantage of the system. Everyone knew but no one did anything. The environmental impact was astonishingly bad. So much is till filed on paper, so much photocopied waste, instead of being digital. They’re carbon footprint is HORRIFIC. There is no forward thinking here. They don’t care about the future or even the students, but only themselves.

Advice to Management

I hope the competence of management is fixed or replaced. It’s a disgrace to see favouritism and hard work not being rewarded or even thanked for. It’s not an equal opportunities work place despite what they say.

HR have no culture or values despite what they say and it’s appalling to even witness it. I don’t understand how they get away with so much rubbish.

When you are a new member of staff you seem to get judged by everyone. It’s as if they think you’re stupid because you literally haven’t learnt anything yet. There’s not even a training scheme. You’re thrown into the deep end without any help. People shouldn’t be judgemental. They should be supportive.

You work a horrible low pay for doing SO much work with no thank you. The salaries are lower than other University’s with the same job. You work into the evening and the weekends and don’t get paid for it. The boss didn’t even care. Even the academics are so full of themselves. They treat you rubbish as well. They think they know best when they don’t. They’re backwards as is management. They have no idea about forward thinking or thinking about the future because they’re selfish and do everything for themselves. The amount of effort myself and others put in for the benefit of students and the University was always argued on. There needs to be major improvement regarding the future.

Don’t trust the staff there because they take advantage and will backstab you when you’re least expecting it. Before Christmas an old colleague told me one staff member started making the workplace uncomfortable and making up horrible lies just so she could get time off work, whilst not caring who she got in trouble. And because there’s no fair system, they get away with it.

Management need to be better, more proactive, actually understand what their team does and why my boss at the time didn’t have a clue what her team did was a disgrace. A boss who gets everything wrong and knows less than you shouldn’t be a boss. And this is the boss of the Courses Team who has worked there for more than 10 years.
    It’s a joke.

4. "Complicated!"

I worked at University of Westminster part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Rewarding to be working with students
    Locations

Cons

Disorganised management
    Bad/non-existent induction
    Poor communication

Advice to Management

Improve HR & Finance functions

"Avoid if possible"

Former Employee - Academic in London, England
    Former Employee - Academic in London, England

I worked at University of Westminster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1 )Diverse staff & student population. 2) Good location.

Cons

1) Too much change in the wrong areas. Areas that need addressing ignored.
    2) Very negative executive & senior management who blame hard working staff for their mistakes. Many of the executive should have departed along with the last VC.
    3) A lot of bullying and backbiting. Nothing is done about it.
    4) Many good staff leaving but the incompetent ones remain.
    5) New culture is punitive and doesn't reward good staff. Lots of favouritism.
    6) Essential services for staff & students cut in the wrong areas.

Advice to Management

3 failed strategies to date and the 4th may have cut costs (which was necessary in some areas) but has left a poor legacy. Now the University is losing good staff as they treated so poorly. This goes well beyond the targeted redundancies.

6. "Student"

I have been working at University of Westminster full-time

Pros

Modern facilities, central location, wide range different societies

Cons

heating issues in many rooms

7. "Okay"

I have been working at University of Westminster part-time

Pros

Gained experience
    Pay was okay

Cons

Contract was short and was not given sufficient training

8. "Working at Westminster"

Pros

Great professional services staff and great academic team.
    Flexible working.
    35 days holiday per year.

Cons

Bad communication from senior management.

"Good environment to work in!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at University of Westminster part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and a welcoming environment to work in.

Cons

Instability of jobs with University going through a tough time

"Huge level of upheaval"

Former Employee - Mid-Level Staff in London, England
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Staff in London, England

I worked at University of Westminster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding vacation package. 35 paid vacation days. Ability to take the vacation allotment when wanted within reason. No overtime or weekend work. Pay is fine. Really really nice people on the ground who want to do the right thing.

Cons

There is a major restructuring underway caused by historically bad financial decisions but that is being very poorly handled now, causing a level of upheaval and tension in the office that is completely unnecessary. Half of the staff have voluntarily left even though their skills are critical to maintaining legacy systems and still very much needed, being pushed out by a current management team who run an immature shop. It's a complete lack of meritocracy, returning to an old boys club culture where it matters more who you go to the pub with. The new VC may help this but he's too new to know yet.