University of Westminster Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Westminster Vice-Chancellor Geoff Petts
Geoff Petts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Bad communication from senior management" (in 9 reviews)

• "Communication from senior management is bad" (in 2 reviews)

1. "IT Service Desk"

I worked at University of Westminster full-time

Pros

You are working in a university therefore you get the same holiday as students plus 35 paid holiday excluding bank holidays and weekends.

Cons

The university went through major changes, the previous team were nicer and there were more benefits before the university lost money.

Advice to Management

Everyone is nice

2. "PhD Student"

I worked at University of Westminster full-time

Pros

Annual review of PhD student progress and the supervision team support to ensure timely completion of the studies.

Cons

limited budget for conference attendance

3. "Great uni"

Current Employee - Student in London, England
    Current Employee - Student in London, England

I have been working at University of Westminster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great experience, lots of international people and opportunities to go abroad

Cons

sometimes, the academic staff is not that helpful and can get quite difficult to understand what they want

4. "Workshop Technician"

I have been working at University of Westminster full-time

Pros

Great pay for the job itself,
    ability to help students realise their ideas is rewarding,
    good benefit system from the university (holidays, closures)

Cons

Lack of clarity of what the job actually is for my particular role (depending on department)
    Higher level structural changes have made some things, like internal intranet, a nightmare to use

"Nightmare"

I worked at University of Westminster full-time

Pros

Colleagues were very friendly

Cons

The most soul destroying job I have ever had. I had absolutely nothing to do and was given zero responsibility. I was a PA to a Dean and was employed to be seen, rather than actually do anything. My proactivity was gradually stamped out as I was micromanaged to within an inch of my life. The most humiliating part of my job was having to defrost a fridge/freezer that I personally never used and then be micromanaged by the Dean to do it. I have a Master's degree and have no idea how this task fell under my job description. I was regularly belittled and made to feel insignificant by senior management. In August when the majority of academic staff go on annual leave, I was not allowed to sit with the rest of my team. I had to remain in an office completely alone just so that I could be seen as a status and who boost to the Dean. I would never recommend working here to anyone.

Advice to Management

Take accountability for your work. Stop wasting resources on ridiculous initiatives. Listen to your staff. Stop calling meetings for the sake of a meeting I regularly witnessed staff falling asleep in meetings and would go to monthly meetings to listen to the same issues raised over and over, yet no action ever be taken.

6. "A kind place with a few challenges"

I worked at University of Westminster part-time

Pros

A creative environment with some very lovely people. The pay and free time are generous, and depending on the department you work in, the job can be quite dynamic and fast-paced.

Cons

I have to admit that it's not a very well-oiled machine. Years of issues at the executive level has made the environment generally quite demotivating and depressing for some. The place is undergoing some crucial restructuring so I'm excited to see where it goes in the future.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more, ask for some honest advice, don't run before you walk, and focus on assuring the quality of your teaching and research more than anything.

"NEVER WORK HERE, it’s long but please read for your benefit"

Former Employee - Course Administrator
    Former Employee - Course Administrator

I worked at University of Westminster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location
    Near Oxford Circus and Bond Street and many train stations

Cons

There has been a major restructuring of the University because of terrible and poor financial decisions. They had to fire over 100 people, many who voluntarily left. And so many competent people left, those are needed to help the University, with so many incompetent ones left behind. This is mainly because they’ve been here so long they can’t do anything else. They got stuck in a dead end job and have pretty much learnt nothing. The amount of times my work was delegated to others on my annual leave instead of who I wanted it to go too because I knew they would be a better job instead, went to the incompetent staff. Even though they had been working there so long, they surprisingly knew nothing. When you told them how to do something they would be defensive and get it wrong. They literally have had no development or learnt anything since starting here many years ago. They get start working the same thing all the time, never offering help, never asking for more, doing as little as possible to get by and get paid. It’s a joke.

Since the restructuring, the environment of the place has been uncomfortable. The colleagues I remain friends with have said there is so much upheaval and tension. New staff get taken advantage of. This happened to me when I started and throughout the time I was there. My workload increased and increased with no thank yous or bonuses or appreciation whilst the other staff who had been there longer got nothing and had their minimal work. My boss seemed the think that any wrong move would upset them and they would want to leave. That’s not how it should work. If they can’t do the job they shouldn’t be there, especially when they contribute to nothing.

There is no team spirit or team work. There is also so much favouritism and this is based on being friends for so long. My boss was great friends with 3 colleagues and they always took advantage and she let them. She pretty much let them talk and gossip all day long and get paid for doing so. Whereas the rest of us would work ourselves so hard we would tire ourselves out. Boss had no appreciation what so ever. And when you were at anotehr campus she wouldn’t constantly phone you because she didn’t trust you could do your job properly when she had no idea to do it herself. The amount of times she has made terrible mistakes and has impacted the customer service negatively is a joke. We have had to cover for her and fix her mistakes, and you still get the blame.

Management are negative and need to be replaced. Not only that, but there is so much bullying and backstabbing. And most of it comes from those scare you, but when challenged play it off innocently. HR believe the words of those who portray themselves as victims and therefore believe nobody else. It’s three word against there’s even without any proof. They only need to believe 30% of what a person says WITHOUT proof and that’s ground for punishment. If a lawyer was involved they would be laughing.

I have had to witness so much of this rubbish and horrible behaviour coming from people who have stated they want to kill the customers, and then play it innocent to get the rest of the team in trouble.

There is so much jealousy and lies it’s hard to keep a track of it all. Trust if lacking especially when management. Boss was worried her favourite staff would leave because of too much work, well I left because working there was a disgrace with no appreciation of what you do. I watched 2 more people leave because they hated it and the boss wondered why they left. She still thinks it was about them when it was really about the horrible work environment and herself. You aren’t rewarded for hard work but instead criticised for helping and trying. Staff are treated poorly and nothing is being done about it.

All that money wasted and they had to fire people? So much was spent on the academics taking advantage of the system. Everyone knew but no one did anything. The environmental impact was astonishingly bad. So much is till filed on paper, so much photocopied waste, instead of being digital. They’re carbon footprint is HORRIFIC. There is no forward thinking here. They don’t care about the future or even the students, but only themselves.

Advice to Management

I hope the competence of management is fixed or replaced. It’s a disgrace to see favouritism and hard work not being rewarded or even thanked for. It’s not an equal opportunities work place despite what they say.

HR have no culture or values despite what they say and it’s appalling to even witness it. I don’t understand how they get away with so much rubbish.

When you are a new member of staff you seem to get judged by everyone. It’s as if they think you’re stupid because you literally haven’t learnt anything yet. There’s not even a training scheme. You’re thrown into the deep end without any help. People shouldn’t be judgemental. They should be supportive.

You work a horrible low pay for doing SO much work with no thank you. The salaries are lower than other University’s with the same job. You work into the evening and the weekends and don’t get paid for it. The boss didn’t even care. Even the academics are so full of themselves. They treat you rubbish as well. They think they know best when they don’t. They’re backwards as is management. They have no idea about forward thinking or thinking about the future because they’re selfish and do everything for themselves. The amount of effort myself and others put in for the benefit of students and the University was always argued on. There needs to be major improvement regarding the future.

Don’t trust the staff there because they take advantage and will backstab you when you’re least expecting it. Before Christmas an old colleague told me one staff member started making the workplace uncomfortable and making up horrible lies just so she could get time off work, whilst not caring who she got in trouble. And because there’s no fair system, they get away with it.

Management need to be better, more proactive, actually understand what their team does and why my boss at the time didn’t have a clue what her team did was a disgrace. A boss who gets everything wrong and knows less than you shouldn’t be a boss. And this is the boss of the Courses Team who has worked there for more than 10 years.
    It’s a joke.

8. "Complicated!"

I worked at University of Westminster part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Rewarding to be working with students
    Locations

Cons

Disorganised management
    Bad/non-existent induction
    Poor communication

Advice to Management

Improve HR & Finance functions

"Avoid if possible"

Former Employee - Academic in London, England
    Former Employee - Academic in London, England

I worked at University of Westminster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1 )Diverse staff & student population. 2) Good location.

Cons

1) Too much change in the wrong areas. Areas that need addressing ignored.
    2) Very negative executive & senior management who blame hard working staff for their mistakes. Many of the executive should have departed along with the last VC.
    3) A lot of bullying and backbiting. Nothing is done about it.
    4) Many good staff leaving but the incompetent ones remain.
    5) New culture is punitive and doesn't reward good staff. Lots of favouritism.
    6) Essential services for staff & students cut in the wrong areas.

Advice to Management

3 failed strategies to date and the 4th may have cut costs (which was necessary in some areas) but has left a poor legacy. Now the University is losing good staff as they treated so poorly. This goes well beyond the targeted redundancies.

10. "Catering Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at University of Westminster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Work ethics and colleagues, great environment to work.

Cons

Being managed better after a very long wait.