Utilitywise Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Utilitywise Chief Executive Officer Brendan Flattery
Brendan Flattery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • basic salary is very good compared to other brokers, people working their are a right laugh (in 7 reviews)

• good team, respectable basic, good working hours (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • And if you put caps on give sales people something else to sell (in 3 reviews)

• which is the old boys club and the mean girls (in 3 reviews)

1. "Growing and changing for the better"

Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle, England
    Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities. management care about their staff, excellent training, good leadership team and most importantly they are professional!!

Cons

Canteen is rubbish but I understand this is being reviewed.

Advice to Management

Maybe want to review the benefits package as for a large organization it isn't great.

2. "A change is going to come"

Current Employee - Account Manager in North Shields, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in North Shields, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great company looking to genuinely bring about change to the industry

Cons

Not enough vegetarian or vegan options in the canteen

3. "Don’t even consider working here and don’t become a customer. You’ll regret either."

Former Employee - Marketing in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Marketing in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Utilitywise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The building is OK and some colleagues are decent.
    Team Managers get no support and training. Even despite this some have found a way to do well. Having said that, some of the best have been leaving and some other good ones are sick of the place.

Cons

This company has no positives.
    They sell a product that a customer is better getting directly. Potential customers should go direct to suppliers. They will get a better deal. There is absolutely no doubt about that fact.
    They pay an OK basic, but that’s because they have to, to try and tempt people from better competitors like Sage, AA, etc to go there. They sell them a flawed experience. Then the bonuses aren’t achievable unless you are prepared to take a lot of money off a customer and tie them into a contract that’s not good for them for a long time. Anyone with morals won’t do that. Think well and hard no matter what other reviews say.
    There’s nothing else to sell the customer even though UTW makes out that there is.
    So the basic premise of the company is flawed.
    The new exec team have no idea and no power to make changes as the old lot hold the purse strings in where the revenue is made. And because there’s been so many promises made by the CEO and his team they have to allow any deal to go through no matter what the impact on the customer. Although I hear that that’s about to change with more redundancies in the Enterprise leadership.
    People Ops don’t support people and freely admit that if managers in the business do something wrong they can’t do anything about it. Effectively a really expensive team at loggerheads with the business and totally ineffective. At least they got rid of the worst one recently. Why does it have two ‘heads of’!?
    Operationally you have a number of people in place who make sure that the business sticks to its old ways. That pulls the wool over the execs eyes, promotes and favours friends and are too young and inexperienced to operate at the title and level they’ve incompetently been moved into. UTW needs a drastic sweep out of these people in order to change. The exec’s been in place for over a year and because of promised revenues to the market is too afraid to make the obvious changes that are needed.

Advice to Management

As per some previous.
    Get into the business and open your eyes to what’s happening. Find other products to sell to customers for their benefit not yours.
    Get rid of some of the execs, you are an £84/£85m loss making business that’s too top heavy. Look at your £60k plus and 150k plus directors. There’s a layer there that can go. Are they effective? No.
    Put the caps back in place for uplifts to customers and make the company adhere to them. Stop being weak and allowing these practices to continue like you did last time.
    In effect. Do your job and what your paid for, you’re clearly not doing it now and shareholders and employees can see it.

4. "Stay well away from this company"

Former Employee - Energy Consultant in North Shields, England
    Former Employee - Energy Consultant in North Shields, England

I worked at Utilitywise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met a few good work colleagues

Cons

Where to start. Training is half decent. People get a big sale and get promoted to management. Unfortunately my manager couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag and spent longer in the 'tuck shop' than at his desk. There is supposed to be a trainer walking around to help. They are obviously the invisible man/woman. Reviews I read before starting un-nerved me a little as they mentioned non payment of bonus if you left. I secured a sale and guess what no bonus as they say the sale didn't go through even though my "manager" rang the customer and told him that they were now in contract??? This company is an absolute joke ..... they couldn't even get my leaving date right on my P45. My advice to anyone is PLEASE DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. They are certainly not what they seem ........ they even tell you to say you are calling from somewhere else and not Utilitywise because their reputation in in tatters. CHECK OUT THE SHARE PRICES. THEY ARE DROPPING LIKE A STONE. Wonder why!!!!

Advice to Management

Advice to Brendan. Forget that you are not at Sage now. Do not advertise when you are going on the sales floor and just do random walk arounds. Then you will see what is really going on. Take the blinkers off! There are too many people within the business that should not have the positions they are employed in and this will eventually be the downfall of the business.

5. "Shocking!!"

Current Employee - Energy Advisor
    Current Employee - Energy Advisor

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro there is for me is 5 o clock and also the road home without traffic for once!!!!!!!!

Cons

Clicky unprofessional management followed by completely unprofessional under qualified and inexperienced leadership team. Ex Sage people more experience but you are up against “The Click” which is the old boys club and the mean girls!!
    Incompetent and immature! Absolutely embarrassing!

Advice to Management

Get some exposure out of there with a real company!

6. "Field Sales Consultant"

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

There are no pro's working here

Cons

Always changing commission and you have to fight for it every month

Advice to Management

........................................................................................

26 Mar 2018 – PR & Social Media Manager

Thanks for taking the time out to leave us a review. It’s really unfortunate to hear that your experience of working here wasn’t so positive. With regards to your concerns around commission, like any... More

7. "Not too bad"

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

basic salary is very good compared to other brokers, people working their are a right laugh.

Cons

managers are dodgy, set you up to fail, alot of job insecurity and uncertainty within.

8. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great career progression
    Fabulous team of people
    Amazing colleague support

Cons

Certain areas of people are hard to work with

Advice to Management

Depends which management...

15 Jan 2018 – PR & Social Media Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time out to leave such a positive review, it’s really great to hear that you love your job and feel supported in your role. It’s also encouraging to hear that you feel... More

9. "Good experience so far"

Current Employee - TELESALES Representative in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - TELESALES Representative in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent management team within the academy
    9am - 5pm
    No weekends
    Good rate of pay

Cons

Challenging Role it's not for everybody

Advice to Management

keep providing the very best experience to new people

15 Jan 2018 – PR & Social Media Manager

Firstly, we’re sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a great review. We’re really pleased to hear that you love your job and feel so supported by... More

10. "Energy Consultant"

Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent two weeks classroom training followed by great support in the Academy by team managers and coaches.
    Great friendly supportive atmosphere
    great facilities canteen and support from other departments
    9 - 5 Mon - Fri

Cons

Need a bigger car park near building as overflow car park is too far away
    More microwaves needed for heating up food at lunch

Advice to Management

some spoil it through bad language on the floor unprofessional and background noise while others are grafting.
    encourage more team building, sporting opportunities

15 Jan 2018 – PR & Social Media Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review – we’re sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It’s great to hear that on the whole your experience working at Utilitywise has been positive and... More