Utilitywise Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Utilitywise Reviews

Updated 5 December 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • very competitive basic salary for a sales role, which gets reviewed yearly (in 6 reviews)

• Utilitywise has a great working environment with huge potential to be even more successful than it already is (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • And if you put caps on give sales people something else to sell (in 3 reviews)

• Poor management and high turnover of staff (in 2 reviews)

1. ".........."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

Great people, Great shifts, not bad basic salary

Cons

Very tough industry very saturated with lots of other brokers

Advice to Management

.....................

2. "just put the work in"

Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

if you want to work, the people will help you. but thats the key thing. you need to want it. if you don't want to be here and you're just working to get your base salary and do something with your time, no manager will stick his neck out for you. personally I've been working hard and I've been given so many oppertunities and still in training for some oppertunities to come.

I don't think a lot of companies actually have the CEO walk on the floors and shake hands and congratulate the sales people and all.

Cons

it is a sales job, and there are a lot of other sales bureau's in the UK. the data will always be recycled and 'bad', but we've had recycled data and with the right people, they're still selling more than the avarage on the new data.

there is definitly a form of favoratism in several parts of the company. I think thats in every single office everywhere, and if you work had and have the numbers behind you, you can always proof your right. and agian, work, and you'll be reconized.

Advice to Management

don't just look at numbers but listend more to people

3. "A great place to work"

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

Training is ongoing, nobody is too busy to help you when you need it. Very friendly environment to train and work.

Cons

There have not been any cons so far.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! The nicest place I have worked

"At the expense of customers"

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

Pretty building, good facilities.

Cons

You'll lose your soul to middle management encouraging pressire selling and huge uplifts on client bills, while upper management tell press and the market they have the customer best interests at heart.

Advice to Management

Knock the boys club attitude on the head.

That was supposed to go with the Thompsons.

6. "Lots of potential"

Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle, England
    Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of good decent people to work with
    Potential to earn good commission
    Help and support throughout
    Friendly Atmosphere
    Decent basic starting salary
    Some people think they are better than others and stuck up their own ar*e
    Can grow and expand skills and move up the business

Cons

Canteen food
    Data is very old, ringing some customers who passed away 15 years ago!
    Sometimes hard to keep motivated throughout the week

Advice to Management

Need to get more up to date data - even if it costs money for the business it allows for more opportunities to sell!

7. "Senior Management and Team Managers"

Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Redditch, England
    Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Redditch, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good sales staff who are hardworking and motivated to be succeed.
    Hard work but financially rewarding once you have built a substantial pipeline.
    Business hours so work life balance is good.

Cons

Lack of support and development from Team Managers.

Coaching sessions are not existent and irrelevant when they are.

60% of the Team Managers sit at their desks and are not pro active but spend time with people who have been their a while instead of helping those who have not?!

Most managerial positions are based on the relationships their have with the Operations Manager. You will find that the majority don't have the experience to develop the team around them but work with the staff who have been their a substantial time as they bring in a revenue target on their own. This in turn means for everyone else you have to work out everything yourself and dont get any help in developing.

Poor management and high turnover of staff.

Redundancies, even when they are looking to expand and grow operation, does not make sense.

Advice to Management

Have people in positions they can help and develop sales consultants instead of having a glorified title.

Development of the whole team, not just the special one on the team.

8. "Average"

I worked at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

Career opportunities for those who are willing to work hard. Basic salary is ok and commission scheme was fair. Met some lovely people who are professional. They are very big on coaching but have the wrong people in place to do so. You are being given chances if you try your best. Generous company. If time off from work was needed this was never an issue as long as it was within reason.

Cons

Promises were made by senior management and were not fulfilled, even after months of waiting. Would have prefered for them to be honest instead. Some girls there got higher up because of sleeping with the right person.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you appoint to coaching or management positions.

"Terrible choices from senior management"

Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Utilitywise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Utilitywise was once a good company to work for and there are a few good people left, although how long for is anyone's guess.

Cons

The redundancies taking place are absolutely disgusting. Redundancies are sometimes unavoidable but I continue to see excellent people who have really helped this company grow being let go. Fantastic professionals from Energy Services, Marketing, Admin, Recruitment being told to leave. Yet they can keep people in roles on silly salaries which just aren't needed. Internal communications staff on £40k plus - is it a wonder they are a sinking ship? They are and Energy Consultancy who have got rid of the majority of staff who actually know anything about the sector.

Advice to Management

Stop employing/retaining people because their face fits.

19 Oct 2017 – PR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

We appreciate that the situation of late has been difficult for all those affected. The changes we’re implementing are part of a long term growth... More

10. "School Mentality"

I worked at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

Good for new-comers to the energy sector and a good please for a stepping-stone in your career.

Cons

The whole hierarchy of staff have a primary school mentality. The canteen is horrible and if you don't fit in with the standard of "sales people" you'll get mocked and laughed at... This never happened to myself but I saw plenty of it.

The different departments sleep around like it's a game and your reputation can get tarnished through stupid gossip.

Brendan is a puppet who side-steps questions like a typical politician. I bet he is a Tory.

Advice to Management

Don't openly talk about nights out and drugs in front of the floor you actually look after.

18 Sep 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for your comments. We’re sorry to hear your experience at Utilitywise hasn’t been as enjoyable as it could have been. We’re really pleased to hear that you consider our business a... More

"Utilitywise is a shambles with a bullying culture"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in North Shields, England
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in North Shields, England

I worked at Utilitywise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some team mates and management are ok

Cons

Where do I start favouritism is rife along with bullying and this is from my team manager who talks about you behind your back , big deals taken off you and given to the managers pet , underhand dealings with salary increases for the favourites , the training is a joke claim to want to train non sales people then don't spend time looking after them then sacking after 3 months.
    The data is awful businesses are fed up with being rang 10 + times a day
    Management ( using the word loosely ) are incompetent lack of direction , any sniff of a potential deal try to force the contracts through without being signed by the client

Advice to Management

You all need to have experience in a management environment , learn how to speak to you staff stop with the bullying culture and favouritism

21 Sep 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for your comments. While we’re pleased to hear that you’ve enjoyed working with some of your teammates and some members of our management team, we’re really sorry to hear about... More