Utilitywise Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Utilitywise Reviews

Updated 5 December 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • very competitive basic salary for a sales role, which gets reviewed yearly (in 6 reviews)

• Utilitywise has a great working environment with huge potential to be even more successful than it already is (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • And if you put caps on give sales people something else to sell (in 3 reviews)

• Poor management and high turnover of staff (in 2 reviews)

"What a mess"

Current Employee - Senior Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Senior Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. Their friendly and mainly good to work with. It still can be decent. If. If you get basic management right. At the moment there are a few decent ones at team level but the next two levels, you've got major issues! And it's obvious.

Cons

Where to start
    A. The data is terrible. If you want people to sell, give them something to sell with. We've been telling you about this for years. Part of the reason people leave is that they are calling customers again and again, there's fights internally about whose client it is and favourites are given pipelines. Decent people are walking out the door in their hundreds. Sort it and you'll sell more. And if you put caps on give sales people something else to sell. It's not rocket science.
    B. Management. Not sure where to start. Put a decent person with a garbage team manager and guess what! They leave. Racism, favouritism, aggression, sexism, swearing at team manger level and then Ops Mangers weakness, ineffective, don't speak to anyone, stuck to their laptops not encouraging eye contact. Then the next level up. Director. What are you thinking? Giving people jobs who can't do the job. Telling everyone before they've even been interviewed. Old boys club. Moving people who can't do one job to another that they can't do and paying them more because they threaten to leave. Leaving a total liars in roles in which they have no respect. The whole company laughing at them and at the leaders above them. If someone consistently been lying in your team how do you think it makes you look if you are their MD?
    C. L&D. Nothing for mangers for years and you wonder why they don't know what they are supposed to do! Then they advertise a Head of role, what the hec is the existing Head of and dept doing? Who knows but to solve it why don't we pay for two?? Everyone's laughing. an extra £50/£60k for a company that's cutting money off everything and we've been told there are redundancies, other companies know it. It's laughable. That's one persons job who can do it not two who can't and the whole business knows who is getting the job and they've not interviewed for it, same as the last Ops job! And who told them! Your wee liar.
    D. Communicate! You know why people get hacked off. Because they know things are going on and you wait until last thing on a Friday to tell some of them and give the rest half a story. The rumours had already been round 10 times. Get yourselves organised. Decide on who is going where and why and what commission you might actually decide to pay (it would be great if you actually pay what you say you will), communicate the changes well in advance. IT'S BASIC.
    E. Stop changing things. Morale is the pits. All of the above and constant last minute badly planned changes cause havoc.

Advice to Management

Brendan, for the sake of the good people who are remaining in the organisation, start looking at this business, past the rubbish and the corporate twaddle you are being given and OPEN your EYES!! They're pulling the wool and you can't see past your nose.

11 Sep 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for your comments. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve become so disillusioned during your time at Utilitywise. We’ll definitely share your comments with the relevant teams for their... More

2. "A company where you are encouraged and supported to achieve"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

Great place to work
    Business constantly looking to improve in every area
    Customer centric
    Encourages development
    Invests in training and coaching
    You have a voice and are listened to
    Clear strategic direction
    Fast paced and ambitious
    Challenging environment
    Invests in its people

Cons

Why didn't I join here sooner

Advice to Management

Continue to be visible and communicate business plans and updates regularly

21 Aug 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for your comments, we're delighted to hear that you're enjoying your time at Utilitywise. We're working hard on our culture and environment at the moment and we were really... More

3. "Fantastic medium-long term prospects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redditch, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redditch, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

autonomy, career prospects, people, pragmatism

Cons

legacy of internal politics, number of potential opportunities

Advice to Management

focus on harmonizing systems and process

"A Company with a vision"

I worked at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

PLC Company with a strong CEO wanting to lead the company into the next phase of growth.

Cons

The training programme called 'Ignite' (which by the way couldn't set fire to itself, never mind anything else) Run by failed Energy Consultants with little in-house training or enthusiasm and overseen by a Head of Department who has never worked in a Sales Environment in their life but comes from a Banking background of all things. Very little systems training or explanations during initial training . Once you have joined your team on department, this is where your real training starts. Learning from those around you and from experienced staff and managers. Attending workshops for weeks after, most of them repetitive with no real substance or real grounding to give the real tools needed to do the job. Managers and other staff have little to no faith in the Ignite programme and even the slightest criticism is met with distain and vitriol by the department head. New managers and old don't get training or support for development in their roles, and are just left to their own devices. Some with few man management skills to say the least. There are some excellent managers about but no in house support for them either.

Advice to Management

Look at how new people are being trained and make sure they are given the best chance to do the job in hand. Trainers training out a programme they don't even like themselves but too afraid of the backlash if they say anything. Shame as some of them are decent folk trying to do their best in an overstretched department with a Head of department who would rather spend the company's money outsourcing training when it could be done in house effectively with the right leadership.
    Brendan, things are not being reported correctly to you and figures masked. Get amongst Managers and EC's and ask for honest opinions.

21 Aug 2017 – Social Media Manager

We’re sorry to hear that your experience of our training programme did not meet your expectations. We work hard to provide all of our colleagues at Utilitywise with the tools, knowledge and... More

6. "energy consultant"

Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

its like a big family everyone helps each other

Cons

none at all really good to work for

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

16 Jun 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for your positive review, we were delighted to read it. We're working hard on our company culture and business environment at the moment and we're pleased to hear that you're... More

7. "Above average"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good colleagues, Easy access, Fun, Challenging

Cons

Currently no way to get a pay rise.
    Commission in sales role is hit target or get nothing.

Advice to Management

Pay reduced commission if target is not achieved if you've still worked hard.

16 Jun 2017 – Social Media Manager

Many thanks for your comments on our business, we're pleased to hear that you enjoy working at Utilitywise. We're making some really positive changes to our business at the moment and we hope you're... More

"Corrupt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England

Pros

There are no good points

Cons

The whole place is corrupt, mis-leading share holders with "creative accounting" in bed with certain supplier's who offer the best "backhanders"

Staff being asked to miss-sell to customers to achieve unrealistic sales targets
    Senior managers are bully's with little relevant experience or any business sense, this drives attrition month on month
    HR and Sales function always at loggerheads over strategy- The place is one big mess
    Share price will be less than £1 soon!!!

Advice to Management

Resign!!!

Bring in proper business people to run the business, not family members and friends who have no business common sense or relevant experience- Its just one big boys club

16 Jun 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your comments. We’re sorry to hear your experience at Utilitywise wasn’t as enjoyable as it could have been.

We run an extremely successful business that is transforming to meet the... More

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Utilitywise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good, and if you achieve your targets you can have commissions so possibility to make good money.

The working hours (8-4 in the multilingual team).

The premises are brand new.

Cons

This job is basically a cold-calling role in a call centre. You'll be asked to attain a 2-hours call-time per day, which is really hard to get because companies don't really want to talk to you as they receive 10 calls like yours in a day.

As the role is sales-based, it is asked to sell as much as you can and in short times, and to get 2 invoices per day. The Management is under stress and then put a lot of pressure on you. By working there, I deplored the lack of empathy that they have towards employees - they make you feel that only figures count. They are not supportive and they don't help you to overcome your difficulties.

The team leaders also promote their friends and use favouritism. They are good sellers but not good managers at all. They spreading rumours and laugh at previous/current staff behind their back.

The coaching is non-existent, instead of making you improve your job and correct your mistakes, they rather compare you to other employees. That brings a bad atmosphere at work and competition between staff members.

It's also happened that some employees lie to potential clients to make them sign the contract, and unfortunately, the management supports that.

Also, the company has a high turnover of staff. In the French Team, around 20 people left in one year - and new employees don't stay for a long time.

The staff is often overqualified for this job.

If you're from abroad, don't leave your country for that job. It doesn't worth it.

Advice to Management

You should wonder why so many people are leaving. Don't forget that people are your main resource and treat them decently.

Respect your staff, don't lie to clients, be fair and stop spreading rumours.

Be professional.

18 May 2017 – Social Media Manager

It’s disappointing to hear that you have had such a negative experience whilst working for Utilitywise. Our colleagues’ experience is something that we have made significant investment in and we’re... More

10. "Hard work and frustrating but if lucky the rewards are there"

Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team of people who work there and the majority are happy to help if you have any issues that you need support with.

Cons

Management under pressure and can sometimes be a little pushy rather than supportive.

11. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

The people
    The vision
    The ambition
    Management
    The environment

Cons

Location - travel with the roadworks can be a challenge and getting out of colbalt after 4pm.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the passion and enthusiasm from management to make it a great place to work is fantastic