VHB Employee Reviews about "vhb"

Updated 1 Jun 2020

3.4
VHB President & Chief Executive Officer Michael Carragher
Michael Carragher
Pros
Cons
  • "VHB likes to acquire other firms which leads to mismatches in culture within the offices and many resources dedicated to those acquisitions(in 12 reviews)

• "Agree with other reviewers that if you're not in the HQ in Watertown, you're not as important to upper management(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "vhb"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "NH Office"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, NH

I worked at VHB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall company culture was good, slightly above-average compensation and benefits. Very flexible with schedules and working from home. Good office environment. IT and equipment were great.

Cons

I will preface by saying that this review is limited to the New Hampshire office. Management is variable. The few good PMs and senior managers are outnumbered by those who struggle to perform. Morale is regularly at extreme lows due to unrealistic workloads caused by employee turnover. While regularly stating that they are a generational company, few junior staff have long-term plans at VHB due to poor current management. If you are in the environmental field, avoid this office and look elsewhere; better opportunities exist.

June 8, 2020Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you’ve found positives in our generous benefits and amazing people! We appreciate your perspective and will take your other comments into consideration.

"Great company to work for"

5.0

I worked at VHB full-time for more than a year

Pros

VHB was a great company to work for. It felt like the company really cared about employees. Good size company with good reputation. Plenty of opportunities.

Cons

Nothing particularly bad stood out. It was overall a good experience working there.

July 11, 2019Communications Specialist

We’re so glad you had such a good experience! We are proud to create a great company culture for our people with opportunities for growth. Thank you for your thoughtful feedback.

"Great people and company culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Transportation Engineer

I have been working at VHB full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

At VHB, people really care about each other. Many of the offices have a lot of diversity at all levels and there are quite a few women in high leadership positions. There’s a lot of collaboration with a focus on interdisciplinary projects. The company and its employees really care about their communities and making them better places to live. The firm is fairly progressive in its values. The benefits are great. The generational company philosophy allows one to grow from one role to another and move up in the ranks. Working schedules are somewhat flexible which is helpful for those of us with families. They offer an alternative summer schedule with every other Friday off in summertime if you work an extra hour Mon-Thurs. People at higher levels will take the time to listen to you if you have ideas or concerns.

Cons

Work life balance is challenging for both younger junior staff and mid-level staff. Billability targets are high and many times it seems like offices are understaffed. VHB likes to acquire other firms which leads to mismatches in culture within the offices and many resources dedicated to those acquisitions. The management structure is top-heavy, and that means multiple layers of people who need to buy into any new ideas. The generational company philosophy works when we hire new people in at the bottom and people at the top move on so everyone else can move up and grow. At times this doesn’t happen and people ready to move up are stuck in roles that they are overqualified for. The experience any individual employee has is highly dependent on what team they are on. Some are amazing, others less so.

March 11, 2019Communications Specialist

We are so glad you’ve had a positive experience during your 10 years at VHB—quite an accomplishment and we thank you for growing with us! As you’ve mentioned, our management philosophy as a generational company means that we can only be successful when there is equal emphasis on business and people, and your feedback on how to improve it is important to us. We try to help achieve work-life balance through some of the things you’ve mentioned, like flexible schedules and summer hours. Thank you for your feedback, and time with VHB!

4. "Entering Professional"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at VHB full-time for more than a year

Pros

If looking for a rewarding environmental position, VHB is the perfect company.

Cons

Does not focus on in-depth onboarding for new professionals

March 11, 2019Communications Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We do agree that our work can be very rewarding. Last year we launched a comprehensive onboarding initiative for our new team members that looks at all the touchpoints from before a person joins, through their first year at VHB. We’re focused on integrating new employees at every level and connecting them to our culture and organization. We’ve gotten great feedback so far and are continuing to refine our initiatives. We agree—intentional focus on onboarding is critical!

"Went too corporate too fast"

I worked at VHB full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

VHB has great benefits and friendly employees.

Cons

What was once a well-balanced company became a pretty lethal corporation. Work/life balance went out the window, even for “overhead” employees. It was hard to watch junior technical staff struggle so much to meet the billablity ratio. Issues either went ignored or were told to those that had the complaint lodged against them, causing targets on staff’s backs.

March 11, 2019Communications Specialist

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We will take it into consideration.

"Company has a big heart, but is unable to support life/work balance"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at VHB full-time

Pros

Nearly everyone at VHB genuinely wants to support your career and growth, and are excited when you achieve your personal and professional goals. Team dynamics are positive, and new people are warmly welcomed. The projects are interesting, and VHB is not afraid to go after (and win) projects that are slightly out of its comfort zone, which keeps things fresh and interesting. VHB is dedicated to using a large portion of resources to help charitable causes.

Cons

Soon after I started over 10 years ago, a manager quite high up in the company explained that entry-level employees can expect to work 55 hours per week to get 40 billable hours, which will increase to about 70 hours per week as their careers progress. I didn't believe that at the time, but have since found that to be entirely accurate. As a result, middle managers who truly do care about the people on their team simply don't have the availability to be the supervisors and mentors they want to be. VHB's solution? Hold more required workshops to explore how to improve communication and mentorship - which are, you guessed it, non-billable.

December 12, 2018Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. As a Generational Company, our management philosophy holds that our sustained success can only be achieved when there is equal emphasis on business and people so we take your input very seriously. VHB’s unique company culture includes a strong focus on our employees’ career growth and development. Team members partner with their manager to determine how VHB can effectively support them in achieving their goals. Our turnover rate is considerably less than the average in our industry. We will continue to work to ensure our culture is one that supports our employees, both on a professional and personal level.

7. "Survey Instrument Oper. I"

5.0
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at VHB

Pros

Nice work environment. They value you as a professional.

Cons

I do not have anything wrong to say about VHB.

"Highway Design"

Current Employee - Highway Design in Watertown, MA

I have been working at VHB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits Ability to work with other teams and offices on a variety of projects

Cons

Office politics determine success. Toxic environment promoted by aggressive and negative reinforcement from quality review staff. Unclear path for promotion and expectations. Legacy based culture hurts team morale. If you were not hired out of school into VHB, will face greater challenges over peers. Previous work experience is not considered as strongly as one would expect. Understand and leverage employee's previous work experience from outside the firm.

Continue reading

"An unstable and miserable place"

1.0
    Former Employee - Community PLanner in Orlando, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at VHB full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay rate was decent for the area. The office was in a good location. You were not expected to work overtime.

Cons

The projects were mind numbingly boring, and later I learned that my colleagues were backstabbing me the entire time I was there. I received zero training even though I was promised training by the management who hired me. Workplace dynamics could not have been more awkward and uncomfortable. Was let go with no warning. No previous conversations or feedback on any work that I was doing. No "career conversations" as VHB puts it. Very little severance. (Less than a weeks pay). Definitely not a stable company to work for or one that you can succeed in. You are defiantly easily dispensable in this kind of environment.

"Top-heavy, nepotistic management and underutilized staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at VHB full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with talented colleagues in my 8 years at VHB (formerly Eng-Wong, Taub & Associates). The benefits and work-life balance at the Newark office were decent to above-average. My manager really did not bother me as long as I did my job. In looking back, he was probably too busy locked in his office for most of the day to care and was could not be bothered to talk so he can leave the office at 4:30 on the dot. I attended external training sessions but my manager did not utilize the skills I acquired and was more focused in assigning tasks to his friend's daughter, whom he hired to work at the firm.

Cons

The Newark office has been a haven for nepotism going back to its Eng-Wong, Taub days. Numerous employees were hired because of their connections to management. Choice projects were also assigned to these hires despite still being in their adjustment period. As mentioned previously, my manager (former owner) was too busy locked in his office for hours doing God knows what, to have a conversation on whatever project I was assigned. Towards the latter part of my career at VHB, I had to reach out to clients to provide projects for me to work on which was my manager few remaining responsibilities since selling his firm to VHB. He further showed his unprofessionalism when he stopped speaking to me after I gave my two-week notice when I found another job. I was able to express my frustrations and reasons for leaving at my exit interview with HR but I doubt it was addressed due to the pervasive bureaucracy at the firm.

Found 18 reviews