VIPKID Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

VIPKID Co-Founder and CEO Cindy Mi
Cindy Mi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Cancellation policy, inconsistencies in company procedures" (in 88 reviews)

• "Because we are teaching students on the other side of the world there are a lot of early morning and late night hours" (in 74 reviews)

"The Best Job I Have Ever Had!"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

The children are adorable. The hours are flexible and work really well with my time zone in the UK. It would definitely be harder from an American time zone. The company has a great, welcoming feel to it. There are lots of incentives and opportunities to advance in the company. If you would like to apply, you are welcome to use my referral code: CRYST0259. Please reach out with any questions.

Cons

You don't always book every slot you open. The time change can be quite extreme in some regions.

13 Dec 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We are very glad that you’re having such a good time teaching with VIPKID!

"VIPKID TEACHER"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

Flexibility, online, working from home

Cons

Low pay, must be very energetic to attract parents and keep child's attention

"A Great Company To Work For"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

VIPKID offers flexibility above all else. As an independent contractor, you set your own hours and schedule. They are quite responsive to emails and messages. The interview process is also not very difficult. You will also be well compensated the going rate is about $10/25 minute lesson.

Cons

However, as an independent contractor, you do not receive any external or extra benefits from working for the company. Your success also largely depends on how much parents like you and your teaching style. You will receive "5-Apple" ratings from parents who may or may not leave any actual feedback of your performance. If your apple rating drops off, you may also see your student bookings do the same.

Advice to Management

I would suggest changing the "apple rating" system as it largely depends on luck - you may have a student who loves you and books you all the time, but never leaves a review, or a few one-off students whose parents didn't like you for some reason or maybe did not understand something, and you end up with a poor average.

31 Oct 2017 – Engagement Manager

VIPKID cares a lot for our teachers, who are also our trusted business partners. We are glad to hear your comments!

"Perfect Job For Me"

Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY (US)

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to do from home. No commute, no child care, no savvy business clothes, no commuting in the snow, and the best part is every day is "bring your cat to work day!" My cat, Bootsie, loves my job as much as I do! No kidding, I've had parents post reviews on my cat! The kids love it! Payment is once a month. I don't mind that because then it its a big check. You know what to expect and money is in the account on time. I love the children I teach. It is amazing how close you get to the family from the other side of the world!

Cons

You'll read that there is not enough work. I don't think that is accurate. I've been with VIPKID going on six months. My first contract is at an end. My first month I made $55.00. The next month I more than doubled that, and every month after has been going higher and higher. I am now teaching about five hours a day and making very good money for wearing pajama bottoms and an orange t-shirt. My monthly is in the four figure range. The thing is you have to give the parents a reason to schedule with you. Sitting around waiting for bookings to come is not good. You won't get far teaching only trial students; although, trial students become regular students and they will remember your smiling face. The trick to getting more bookings is to take advantages of their certifications in different areas. In November I got certified to do the major courses and my schedule is now completely and totally packed. I literally have a very full schedule, teaching around eleven classes a day. You hear a lot of complaints about missing classes. When you teach, even at a school, attendance is important. As far as online schools go, VIPKID is the most liberal. I could have worked with DaDaAbc and made a lot more money. Their attendance policy is HORRENDOUS! You are locked into a schedule that will not vary, cannot travel. I have two homes and I could only teach at one. My travel was stopped. VIPKID encourages their teachers to live a life. Its great stories for the kids. When I am at my place in Brooklyn, they are pretty amazed to see NYC. My students get to see a variety of things, which VIPKID was pretty smart to encourage their teachers to live a life.

Advice to Management

I have never had a problem with management. They encourage teachers to have "Meet Ups" and network. I'm going to my first one on Friday. Management offers advancement opportunities and the ability to get more certifications, which equates to more money. That is a good thing. The one negative thing you always hear about is the recruitment process. They now have meet ups in the big cities where prospective teachers can do face to face meetings. My experience was not bad, it wasn't easy either, but I held steady, went through the steps and started working. However, compared to the interview process I had with DaDaAbc (and that is a fine program too), VIPKID was a cake walk! Since you are dealing with an employer thousands of miles away, do you really think it would be flawless? I've seen positive changes since I've been here. I really love the management encourages their teachers to be silly! The other schools limit interaction and NO silliness. For a great work environment, I'm very ok with a little less in pay if I am happy, can travel, and interact with the kids. I like they use real teachers to do your evaluations. It all boils down to this: there are other schools out there that pay even more. To me, it is not worth the hassle. I've yet to find a person who got rich teaching, so happiness and job satisfaction should be your guiding principle, and I'm very happy where I am now.

4 Jan 2018 – Program Manager

"The Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - English Teacher in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - English Teacher in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working for VIPKID because:

- I get to choose my own schedule
    - I have the flexibility to work from anywhere in the world
    - I get to make an everlasting impact on students, ages 5-12 in China

Cons

The "hot hours" on the West Coast, USA can be challenging to coordinate with day-to-day schedules as the hours are really early in the morning or pretty late at night.

Advice to Management

Keep doin what you're doin!

18 Jan 2019 – Social Media Specialist

6. "Love it"

Pros

Good online pay love it

Cons

None at all, all great

10 Feb 2019 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

"All in all quite good!"

Current Employee - Theacher in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Theacher in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours. Good communication intra-company.

Cons

You must do some of the offered self promotional opportunities to get students. My first weeks were scary because no one was booking but I am up to 90% of my desired hours after 1 month.

16 Jan 2019 – Social Media Specialist

We are very glad that you’re having such a good time teaching with VIPKID!

"Great company"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, love my students

Cons

Cancellation policy, inconsistencies in company procedures

10 Jan 2019 – Social Media Specialist

VIPKID really appreciates your kind words. We work hard every day to offer an even better environment to the amazing teachers in our platform!

"Work from home"

Current Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher
    Current Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID (More than a year)

Pros

Set your own hours and work from home

Cons

Sometimes communication to the head office is difficult

1 Feb 2019 – Social Media Specialist

"Great additional income!"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

Work as much or as little as you want to, lots of incentives

Cons

Harsh rules for IT problems or teacher cancellations (even if it’s long enough in advance)

13 Dec 2018 – Social Media Specialist