Found 1,423 of over 6K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "scedule is flexible and you can work from home" (in 767 reviews)
- "Pay is good and you have the availability to get a raise if you meet the requirements." (in 657 reviews)
- "VIPKID offers flexible hours and after a few weeks it's possible to have a consistent schedule." (in 384 reviews)
- "Flexible and easy to create your own schedule." (in 358 reviews)
- "If you're willing to work and not complain then you'll make good money and like the company" (in 114 reviews)
- "Contract employee means no benefits and you have to make sure to pay your quarterly estimated taxes." (in 147 reviews)
- "And sometimes it is still difficult to count on as many classes as I want." (in 138 reviews)
- "Recent pay cut affecting most veteran teachers who now feel they have no value to the company." (in 138 reviews)
- "poor communication between the company and contractors" (in 62 reviews)
- "Bad management." (in 27 reviews)
- 5.028 Mar 2022Online ESL TeacherCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Adorable and focused students. I learned about their culture and they learned English.
Rules that limited teaching opportunities
- 1.029 Mar 2022Online ESL TeacherCurrent Employee, more than 3 years
You can make your own schedule Pay is much better than most online teaching companies
Bookings not guaranteed. If you need a consistent paycheck this isn’t a reliable company to work for.
- 5.06 Sept 2021Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 3 years
VIP KID is an excellent platform, company, and community. They keep us informed. They offer so many incentives and opportunities to grow. They provide teachers with the curriculum. You just have to be creative and make it fun for the students.
They no longer offer the bonus opportunity for new teachers. But hopefully this will change. I have been with the company for a long time.
- 3.04 Oct 2021Independent ContractorFormer Employee, more than 3 years
Awesome flexibility, and able to work anywhere in the world. plus some very awesome students
the company was becoming too mainstream left-winged, unfair at times with IT issues mostly aimed at the teacher
- 3.05 Sept 2021English TeacherCurrent Employee, more than 3 years
Can do the work anywhere with a stable wifi connection.
Harsh cancellation policies that make it hard when things pop up unexpectantly.
- 4.023 Oct 2017Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
VIPKID offers flexibility above all else. As an independent contractor, you set your own hours and schedule. They are quite responsive to emails and messages. The interview process is also not very difficult. You will also be well compensated the going rate is about $10/25 minute lesson.
However, as an independent contractor, you do not receive any external or extra benefits from working for the company. Your success also largely depends on how much parents like you and your teaching style. You will receive "5-Apple" ratings from parents who may or may not leave any actual feedback of your performance. If your apple rating drops off, you may also see your student bookings do the same.2VIPKid Response7y
VIPKID cares a lot for our teachers, who are also our trusted business partners. We are glad to hear your comments!
- 1.029 May 2020ESL TeacherCurrent EmployeeSouthampton, England
Work from home, no minimum hours, great curriculum, adorable students.
VIPKID treats teachers as disposable; they blame every tech issue or parent complaint on the teachers without even investigating. They continually hire new teachers, even when bookings are significantly down (many teachers reporting just 25% normal booking rates), just because they can pay new teachers a pittance compared to experienced teachers. They have announced 29/05/2020 they are dumping incentives and pay rises in lieu of a tiered pay scheme that leaves any veteran or part-time teachers significantly worse off financially. A tiny fraction of teachers who can invest full-time hours will benefit from the scheme, while VIPKID pockets dollars per class the vast majority used to earn!36
- 4.014 Jan 2021English TeacherCurrent Employee, more than 3 years
Choose your schedule, not a lot of planning once you have taught for a bit, work from home, satisfying to help and teach others, lots of support and opportunities to learn how to become a better teacher. Able to working while traveling and moving. I started this job when in the process of moving to a different country and it was wonderful to be able to work throughout that process and right away in the new country!
It is slow to start. When you first start it is difficult to get bookings. They have changed the pay scale recently which makes a significant change in monthly payment. When unexpected things happen (that are not emergencies) like your internet, computer, or app not working for a small period of time. You are charged for missing the class and given a teacher no show.1
VIPKid Reviews FAQs
VIPKid has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 6,491 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at VIPKid to a friend and 54% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
76% of VIPKid employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated VIPKid 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.